Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Nokia releases HERE for all Android 4.1 and above devices

Author Nokia releases HERE for all Android 4.1 and above devices
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-10-21 19:03
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

Nokia's HERE navigation app has enjoyed some commotion around its name in the past couple of months. It all started with Nokia announcing that it will be releasing the app exclusively for Samsung's Tizen-powered Gear smartwatches and Android-laden Galaxy smartphones. Then, the .apk (naturally) leakedand it turned out that it's perfectly compatible with any phone running Android 4.0 and above.

Today, Nokia officially released the HERE app beta, compatible with all Android 4.1+ smartphones. The app is not available via the Play Store, rather, Nokia has made the .apk downloadable, so anyone can sideload it. If you are rocking the leaked version of HERE, it's worth checking it out, as this new version is build 175, whereas the leaked one was build 174.

For those of you, wondering what all the fuss is about, HERE Maps is a service provided by Nokia, which allows users to pre-download the maps of their region and then experience real-time turn-by-turn navigation without the need for any type of data connection. This is both great for users who are on a budget, and users who just so happen to be traveling and can't rely on fast data coverage at all times. Lastly, the app is free, unlike similar navigation services, so naturally – the map-using part of the Android community quickly fell in love with it.

PhoneArena
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2014-10-21 18:07 ]
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max White Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
alenn
Nokia N900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-10-21 20:03
Go Nokia!
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-10-21 20:37
Got it working nicely on my Note 4 this is the one thing that was missing in Android, a GPS app with free Offline Maps and free Offline Turn by turn navigation.

Much as I like GMaps, it ate insane amounts of battery due to using HSDPA, WiFi and GPS all at once to download the route and locate you. Will continue to use GMaps on my iPad, but on my phone, I'll use HERE Maps.
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2014-10-21 22:15
I remember it worked perfect, fast and smooth on my Lumia 800.
It was better as my TomTom.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-10-21 22:25
Does Nokia/MS make money from cross platform use??
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2014-10-22 03:10
Not without ads, or paid extras within the app itself like we have with free games.

I should think its more about keeping the awareness of Nokia / MS brands and apps in the public eye even on Android platforms.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-10-22 06:10
AFAIK

The Nokia making HERE Maps is the side of Nokia that MS didn't buy, hence why the Maps are called HERE Maps and not Nokia Here Maps.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi