Author Apple iPhone 6 Plus Announced
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2014-09-25 14:42
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2014-09-25 14:11:46, difenbaker wrote:

On 2014-09-25 12:44:21, Ranjith wrote:
btw someone i know in my locality just bought a iphone6+ for 1960 USD on grey market

That's crazy! What would possess someone to buy an iphone for that insane amount of money?

cheers!

The "I have an iPhone,i am special" factor they think they posses i guess.
I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2014-09-25 19:37
@admad..??? of course you can test, calculate or even test the phone in real world before you start to sell it.

Then tell me how can you predict a force that will act on a phone? In normal usage, phone shouldn't be suspected to bending. What happens is people wear tight jeans, some wear loose jeans. Some are fat, some not. After all, if you wear a phone in front pocket, the bending force shouldn't be high enough to consider. If you put a phone in back pocket and then sit, well, then it's your fault.

There is not standard force that phone should survive under bending. Of crouse we can assume high force, but then it would be impossible to achive this low thickness.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2014-09-25 21:13
To be fair, I am after all a technology fan and not just an Apple hater, I would never put my phone in my back pocket and then sit on it, I wouldn't be worried about the phone bending but I would expect the screen to crack if I sat on it too quickly with any phone ive owned.

Whilst most manufacturers test their devices for such bending, flexing, knocks, drops, dunks in water etc, Apple clearly didn't expect the 6+ to be so vulnerable to such forces. They probably tested the phone and thought well nobody is likely to exert such a force on the phone and inevitably released it knowing this could happen.

I tested the phone this evening in my local phone store, I didn't like it. I didn't like the design compared to the normal size 6 and the screen wasn't very impressive, with far too large bezels at the top and bottom of the device.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2014-09-25 22:05
Although I like the design I agree about the bezels - I think that on a such a large body they are showing even more

. Apple: iPhone 6 Plus Won't Bend Under Normal Use; Only 9 Complaints .
difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2014-09-26 03:13

On 2014-09-25 22:05:30, aussieland1 wrote:
Although I like the design I agree about the bezels - I think that on a such a large body they are showing even more

. Apple: iPhone 6 Plus Won't Bend Under Normal Use; Only 9 Complaints .

sigh... typical Apple response, useless.

When people complained about their iphones loosing reception when "held wrongly" - they (apple) showed off their acoustic and antenna labs to reporters. Did that solve the problem? Of course not, and people were still having antenna issues... yet Apple is smug in letting people know that "they've done their homework" .... and its the owners fault they're havin problems with their phone.

Same case here, so what if they supposedly "tested" their phones - does that solve the problem? Does it now instantly make the aluminum in their phone any harder or stiffer so it will not bend?

"The bottom line is that if you use enough force to bend an iPhone, or any phone, it's going to deform,"

That's very sneaky. Of course, if you use enough force to do 'this', then 'that' will happen. That's not the point... the point is, what is "enough"? - that is the issue here.
The problem is that the iPhone 6 seems to require much less force than previous iPhones to bend, because it has weak points introduced by that apple logo and that relocated lock button. These weak points are aggravated by stress when inside a pants pocket. It appears that it doesn't have to take a lot of force ...to bend the phone.

"The bottom line is that if you use enough force to bend an iPhone, or any phone, it's going to deform,"

Any phone, really? Did they actually test how resistant to bending the Note 3 is? Or the Moto X or the HTC One m8?
They also failed to point out... that once an iPhone is bent, it stays that way! UNLIKE other phones.

The video footage shows an iPhone sitting on what looks like an iron platform with an arm moving up and down. How is that related? Where's the context? And they show that same footage like, four times in the clip. They "tested it 15,000 times???" ......Is that on a machine? Yet it only takes one guy to bend it with his bare hands? And not one of those 15,000 times did they try to put it their pockets and sit on it? Or have any documents to show that they tested outside of a lab?

Why only 9 complaints? Why bother to complain when there's no clear policy on whether your phone will be replaced or not. Who would want to be blacklisted from the store where they bought their phones? (yup, talked to a few.... apple store managers do keep a list of such customers..)

........ I just hate it when people fall for Apple's excuses, hook line and sinker. Like when "scuffgate" came out and the anodized finish of the 5 was clearly inferior. Apple said, that's "just normal". Really? They are, of course, completely UNAWARE that other aluminum anodized phones DO NOT scratch as easily.

Same excuse here, they say "it wont bend under normal use"... so putting it in pockets is not normal use then?
Anyway, this excuse from apple is just plain BS, imo. It fixes nothing. They might as well just say that "your pants are too tight! Buy another one!"

[ This Message was edited by: difenbaker on 2014-09-26 08:39 ]
..function cant coffee without in the morning.
emerson_shei
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2014-09-26 05:30
Camera Comparison: iPhone 6 Plus Vs iPhone 6 Vs iPhone 5s Vs S5 Vs G3 Vs 1520 Vs Z2 Vs One (M8)

http://www.phonearena.com/rev[....]20-Xperia-Z2-HTC-One-M8_id3805

Spoiler: iPhone 6 Plus Wins
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2014-09-26 19:38
I must say, from the video of the iPhones being tested, that in no way do I believe that is their testing facility. If you look at other companies testing facilities, just as an example we'll use Samsungs which are highly published, their testing facilities are very high tech, using robotic arms and machines that clearly show and illustrate the stresses that their phones are put under.

That video from Apple shows only a small amount of phones being poked and slightly twisted. The bend test, shows a phone just laying on two metal rods and a rod with a protective blue tip slightly applying pressure. You cant see the phone bend under the pressure. You can in Samsungs (they almost tear phones apart with much higher pressure). Also, the video states 25kgs of pressure is applied. Last time I checked, I weighed a hell of a lot more than 25kg !!

So, if that is their testing facility, no wonder they create faulty products from the drawing board. The QA testing clearly isn't on par with the other manufacturers. Also, ive seen pictures online of scuffed iPhone 6's and 6+'s already, so I don't think we've heard the last of new iPhone complaints and soon a second scuffgate might be upon us.

Apple clearly haven't learnt a thing since day 1.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2014-09-26 20:00

On 2014-09-26 05:30:22, emerson_shei wrote:
Camera Comparison: iPhone 6 Plus Vs iPhone 6 Vs iPhone 5s Vs S5 Vs G3 Vs 1520 Vs Z2 Vs One (M8)

http://www.phonearena.com/rev[....]20-Xperia-Z2-HTC-One-M8_id3805

Spoiler: iPhone 6 Plus Wins

The color reproduction on the 6 is indeed impressive.. in fact, what they are getting out of that tiny sensor is simply amazing.

For me the 1520 is the better camera for sure, but the 6 isn't that far off. The lens is much narrower, details lack, and it doesn't shoot in RAW for now.. I am not sure about the flash, but I don't think there will be much difference b/w the two.

difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2014-09-27 05:36
There was a controversy or rather 'conspiracy theories' that have sprung up regarding the bending video on youtube. So to silence his critics... the guy who made the original video, made another one... in public, with a lot of witnesses this time.

here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3Ds6uf0Yg

here's the article:

Why Bendgate Matters For iPhone 6 Plus Users And Apple's Supply Chain
9/26/2014 @ 10:33午後

Yep, it bends! For anyone who doubted that Lewis Hilsenteger of Unbox Therapy really bent an iPhone 6 Plus, he has done it again—with witnesses. This time, instead of shooting the bend in the privacy of his video studio, he choose a busy square in his hometown of Toronto. As you can see in the video above, the results are even more dramatic and convincing than the first video.

Hilsenteger can be forgiven for seeming just a little bit defensive. He has been fending off charges that he somehow staged the bend or used some special equipment or other trick. Unless he is a Houdini-grade illusionist, he has now demonstrated a bare-handed deformation of an iPhone 6 Plus.

So again I will ask, why does this matter? If I had a brand new iPhone 6 Plus, I would not put it in my back pocket. I would not bend it as a party trick. I would treat it with reverence. But not everyone is me! For Apple AAPL +2.94%, this means that not all customers are ideal customers and they won’t necessarily behave in expected ways.

#bendgate-iphone-6-plus-unbox-therapy-redux

But for Apple’s customers, they expect a new iPhone to behave like other iPhones. If they are used to slipping it in their pocket, then, pocket willing, they will do so with a 6 Plus too. The user experience equation is asymmetrical. The users is unpredictable so the product has to be predictable.

Apple finally commented publicly on “#bendgate” (as it is unfortunately known) yesterday in a statement, “With normal use a bend in iPhone is extremely rare and through our first six days of sale, a total of nine customers have contacted Apple with a bent iPhone 6 Plus.” Yet considering how easy it is to bend on purpose (as Hilsenteger has demonstrated now twice) it is hard to believe that nine customers are the extent of the problem. Nine out of 10 million would be an acceptable defect rate—if representative.

Mat Honan, wrote in his iPhone 6 Plus review in Wired that, “Like a lot of people, I have a bent iPhone 6 Plus. It’s almost imperceptible, but it’s there: a slight warp right at the buttons on the side. Put the phone screen down on a table, and it wobbles. I haven’t purposefully bent it and I don’t recall sitting on it (but I probably have).” The casualness of his description leads me to believe that the incidence of minor bends is likely far more prevalent than the all-out flexure in Hilsenteger’s videos.

In response, Apple gave Re/Code’s Lauren Goode access to their “secret testing lab.” This attempt to buttress the company’s rigorous image led to convincing photos and video (see original story), but questions remain. Apple’s statement refers to “custom grade of 6000 series anodized aluminum, which is tempered for extra strength [combined with] stainless steel and titanium inserts to reinforce high stress locations and… the strongest glass in the smartphone industry.” Yet how could Apple’s test lab not bent the iPhone 6 Plus with the same ease as a bearded guy in Toronto?

The bearded Hilsenteger himself points to the button cutouts as a possible point of failure. My colleague Mark Rogowsky wrote in these pages Wednesday that the new logo cutout on the back of the iPhone 6 Plus could have also been a source of trouble. These obvious weak points would seem to be exactly what those “stainless steel and titanium inserts” would be designed to reinforce.

This disjunction, this bend if you will, between what Apple seems to have tested and what consumers actually bought raises a more troubling possibility. What if #bendgate is a sign that Apple has lost control of its supply chain? Could the units that Foxconn sent to Apple for testing have been less than representative of the overall production run?

As a recovering magazine designer, I have been to many press runs. I know that the printers always sent the best copies to the publishing company, and those copies were often not representative of the entire press run. In the present case, what if not enough titanium was available in time for the production schedule and a lower-quality substitution was made for some portion of the run? And what if those units were sent to, let’s see, Canada instead of Cupertino?

This is just speculation. Manufacturing works this way in general, but not Apple’s manufacturing. This is the reason for Apple’s reputation for quality, reliability and unsurpassed craftsmanship. The troubling aspect of the present debacle is not that some defective phones may need to be replaced. It is that the unity of Apple’s design and manufacturing may have just ruptured in a way that its extensive testing mechanisms did not detect.

I expect that as the complaints roll in, Tim Cook will not dismiss this as Steve Jobs did with “antennaegate.” Apple is now on a path to more openness and this is perhaps an opportunity to confront a vexing problem in a new way. As Hilsenteger says at the end of today’s video, “we’re expected to hold these phones for years, in some case, not just an afternoon. That phone [the iPhone 6 Plus] is weaker than many of the competitors.” This is not the image Apple wanted to project when entering the phablet market and it is not one it will allow to persist.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/a[....]users-and-apples-supply-chain/

emerson_shei
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2014-09-27 05:45
Apple iPhone 6 Plus Vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4

http://hi-tech.mail.ru/review[....]_vs_Samsung_GALAXY_Note_4.html
difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2014-09-27 05:54
On 2014-09-27 05:45:41, emerson_shei wrote:
Apple iPhone 6 Plus Vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4

http://hi-tech.mail.ru/review[....]_vs_Samsung_GALAXY_Note_4.html

So the note 4's already out in Russia? Nice.
Im liking the camera... as shown in that comparison, there's none of the purple/bluish tint of iOS 8.
And its a lot clearer and brighter in low light shots.

cheers!
[ This Message was edited by: difenbaker on 2014-09-27 04:58 ]
plankgatan
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2014-09-27 08:07
Lewis Hilsenteger in unbox therapy is cheating in the video

if you look VERY careful he takes a bent iphone 6+ just milli seconds before he shows the bent phone. (the bent phone is a plastic dummie he bent the day before)

ha ha ha

Luca-S
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2014-09-27 13:00
GTFO Plank!
You're drunk or drugged!
Are you nervous?
difenbaker
Nokia N95 8GB
PM
Posted: 2014-09-27 13:05

On 2014-09-27 08:07:07, plankgatan wrote:
Lewis Hilsenteger in unbox therapy is cheating in the video

if you look VERY careful he takes a bent iphone 6+ just milli seconds before he shows the bent phone. (the bent phone is a plastic dummie he bent the day before)

ha ha ha

really? When did he do that? Was it in 2:54? Its the same phone that he just bent (with part of the screen popping out).

can you post the exact time?

cheers!
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2014-09-27 17:55
All these Apple fans wont accept the fact that these have a defect! A friend who is buying the 6+ dismisses the whole thing by saying all phones bend -_-

btw the same friend use to laugh at my "Huge android phones"
I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 567 ... 171819  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic