Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-09-07 15:48
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
on the ISO-is-not-important argument:

SILLY!

ask a journalist:

Sure, high ISO is relevant.

I'm a journalist and very often I have to take pictures in conditions where I can't use flash, but to have a picture is much more relevant than the quality of the picture.

Moreover, if you take a picture for a regular newspaper there is no difference if one uses ISO 200 or 1200 - printing will be worse either way...

mobile phones are not mainly intended for glamour and photo contest shots, where quality is the top priority. there are many instances when the overall detail of the image captured is what matters. a smart smartphone user does not just use the camera of his phone, hopping from one forum thread to another, to compare and brag about the quality of images his smartphone camera takes.

if you witness a crime in dark alleys or corners of the street, your smartphone becomes a very useful tool to at least capture some clues to help identify the criminals.
[ This Message was edited by: miromiromi on 2014-09-07 16:29 ]
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2014-09-07 17:00
Sony ME (UAE) has announced the price and the availability of Z3 and other accessories (except SW3)

Availability is in October

It's shocking to know that in UAE, Z3 will cost AED 3349 which is almost BHD 345 in my country, and in US this mean $910 !!!

The regular launch price we had in the area for previous flagships was BHD 279 which equals USD 740

It's just over priced, but I have a feeling that SW3 will be included in this price.

EDIT: the SW3 will not be available in ME, And the phone will be Z3 dual (double sim) not the standard one
[ This Message was edited by: Xajel on 2014-09-07 16:10 ]
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2014-09-07 18:16
Wow I can't believe it.

You guys say that OIS is just a gadget worse than digital stabilization, and then you tell how ridiculously high ISO is useful

First of all having hardware help for camera is ALWAYS useful, no matter if the phone will later use digital stabilization as addition or not. But high ISO only have sense if camera sensor is big enough. You can't recieve an useful 12800 ISO image form a sensor as small as the one in Z3. The journalist is talking about a professional DSLR camera where you have 10x bigger sensor, that can handle such a high ISO...
miromiromi
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-09-07 19:20
let the trollololing begin ...

anyway, more nice pictures on eprice

these are 100% crops of photos taken at sony's IFA booth:
(i fully zoomed the images in and took a screenshot of the visible fully zoomed in portions, mostly near the center)
these are crops of 8MP presumably oversampled photos, though.
i really hope z3 does a better job outdoors. the xperias are notorious for losing details in outdoor shots because they're too bright

nicely smooth and clean

[ This Message was edited by: miromiromi on 2014-09-08 05:30 ]
Hilmawan
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-09-07 20:53
I never meant to say that the OIS is completely useless, because the OIS will be very useful when you use a slow shutter speed.
But the problem is the most phones with 2 axis OIS does not work too well, and according to DPReview even the mighty 1020 with 3 axis OIS is still hit and miss at least in auto setting.
Here's what DPReview says when they do a camera comparison between 1020, S4 Zoom, G2 and Z1.
"despite optical image stabilization systems on the Nokia, LG and Samsung, on the verge of being too slow for hand-held shooting. We shot a series of images with each phone and only found one or two really sharp ones from each device when we sifted through the results on our computer screen"
"at a shutter speed of 1/9th second it is virtually impossible to capture an image that looks sharp at a 100% magnification, despite the 1020's fairly efficient optical image stabilization."

There is no doubt when it comes to still shots the Pureview with their Advance manual setting and 3 axis OIS is the best camera on any smartphones.
But you have to realize most of us would just point and shot with the auto setting.

And in low light Sony has a few tricks from using high ISO or Multi frame noise reduction like Anti Motion Blur and Hand Held Twilight.
The result is far from perfect but still acceptable and usable, sometimes even better than other phones with 2 axis OIS.

kurtdean
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2014-09-08 01:18

On 2014-09-07 18:16:22, admad wrote:
Wow I can't believe it.

You guys say that OIS is just a gadget worse than digital stabilization, and then you tell how ridiculously high ISO is useful

First of all having hardware help for camera is ALWAYS useful, no matter if the phone will later use digital stabilization as addition or not. But high ISO only have sense if camera sensor is big enough. You can't recieve an useful 12800 ISO image form a sensor as small as the one in Z3. The journalist is talking about a professional DSLR camera where you have 10x bigger sensor, that can handle such a high ISO...

Why don't u comment on the nice quality pictures of Z3 instead of bashing and talking negatively about it when there's a little negative about the camera? All I see is negative when it comes to Xperia from u. Those Z3 pictures are nice but u keep your mouth shut but when there's a little bit negativity on the Xperia Z3 camera u always condemn it. Oops I forgot, You're a SONY hater so u only talk negative about it
[ This Message was edited by: kurtdean on 2014-09-08 00:23 ]
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2014-09-08 06:10
@miromiromi

Good work there!
The crops look absolutely fantastic

Can't wait for more outdoor shots.
[ This Message was edited by: randomuser on 2014-09-08 05:10 ]
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2014-09-08 18:42

On 2014-09-08 01:18:36, kurtdean wrote:

On 2014-09-07 18:16:22, admad wrote:
Wow I can't believe it.

Why don't u comment on the nice quality pictures of Z3 instead of bashing and talking negatively about it when there's a little negative about the camera? All I see is negative when it comes to Xperia from u. Those Z3 pictures are nice but u keep your mouth shut but when there's a little bit negativity on the Xperia Z3 camera u always condemn it. Oops I forgot, You're a SONY hater so u only talk negative about it
[ This Message was edited by: kurtdean on 2014-09-08 00:23 ]

I was rather making fun of you guys, for saying things like "Whatever, OIS not so important. But hey, 12800 ISO is very useful" that's all. As for Z3 photos, so far there is improvement (can't really say more from the few shots I've seen), but need more photos, specially outdoors.
DexterMoser
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2014-09-08 19:32
I couldn't find any video demonstrating the front facing speakers, or even comparing..

Anyone more luck?
Galaxy S4 (S600)
Looking forward to the Sony Xperia Z4 (or 5)
Feynman about Beauty
Hilmawan
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-09-08 20:04

On 2014-09-08 19:32:45, DexterMoser wrote:
I couldn't find any video demonstrating the front facing speakers, or even comparing..

Anyone more luck?

You're damn right I also could not find any Z3 speakers test or comparison.
But if I'm not mistaken Xperia Z2 Tablet using the same speakers driver as the Z2.
NXP TFA9890 That is actually pretty good, It can deliver 7.2 W peak output power into an 8 Ω speaker at a supply voltage of 3.6 V. The internal boost converter raises the supply voltage to 9.5 V, providing ample headroom for major improvements in sound quality.

So there is a possibility that the Z3 and Z3 Compact tablet is using the same speaker driver and if what i say is true thiis video might give you an idea how well the speakers in Z3.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sghGxIIHJ0U
Hilmawan
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-09-08 20:10

On 2014-09-08 18:42:49, admad wrote:

I was rather making fun of you guys, for saying things like "Whatever, OIS not so important. But hey, 12800 ISO is very useful" that's all. As for Z3 photos, so far there is improvement (can't really say more from the few shots I've seen), but need more photos, specially outdoors.

But it seems the digital SteadyShot and high ISO is much more useful than 2 axis OIS on most smartphones at least in Video, fast shutter speed or auto setting.
northmonkey
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2014-09-08 20:11
I'd be tempted by the Z3 if the camera is better than the S5 and Note 4 which I'm not sure if it will be.

Also phone companies should be having more lossless zoom on their cameras because of the high resolutions being used now.
davidsic
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2014-09-08 22:37
Italian review -> http://android.hdblog.it/2014/09/08/sony-xperia-z3-recensione-hdblogit/

cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2014-09-09 03:59
^ best design from Sony in a long time! Shame they won't sell all that many..
itsjustJOH
Sony Xperia L
PM
Posted: 2014-09-09 05:30
The copper and silver green colors are beautiful. And no more 4K recording heating anymore!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 678 ... 394041  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic