Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony Mobile financial results - Official

Previous  12
Author Sony Mobile financial results - Official
Gitaroo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-05-15 04:21
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
should read what ZOMGBBQ posted, most of their lost are assets they own like VIAO unlike companies like nintendo where they loose actual money in the bank and don't own nearly as much assets as sony. Once Nintendo loose all the money they are completely done. Sony, the company as a whole still generating cash each quarters, lose all came from selling assets at a lost, basically money they have already spent and will never get back. Restructuring and shutting down division still cost a lot as they have to pay for compensation. I their earlier they were forcing easrlier retirement on some of their employees. Only division they got left that is dragging the whole business down is the TV. I would be the saddest say ever for gamers consider the new TV line up has amazingly low input lag, I think their 2014 low end might have set a record for TV with 13 ms input lag. Also as ZOMG has posted, which I agree with him is that they need a major restructuring for the mobile department even thought they are generation cash. They do thing slow and lazy and very incompetent consider what happen to Z2 delay. Fire all the old screw and hire people from the outside.
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2014-05-15 18:41
This is their stock performance for the last 5 years.. they are hanging in there, but the overall trend is not good. They need to be careful if their stock starts hitting below the $10 mark..

On 2014-05-15 03:19:28, chunkybeats wrote:
I would be deeply upset if Apple bought Sony. Sony are well ahead in innovation and design on their mobile division and I would still consider Sony as a brand still cool. The fact is Sony provides other OEMs components for their handsets so that should be profitable. I'm glad they got out of the PC market, too crowded and not as profitable as once used to be. Fingers crossed Sony goes strong and Ibelieve they will because they are always one step ahead of the competition and that's why I like their products!

Apple might be interested in certain parts, but they are already a hardware manufacturer.. I don't know if they would have much use for Sony.

Google might buy the mobile division for the patents, specifically that ones from Ericsson, strip it down from anything of interest, and then get rid of it.. just like what they did with Motorola Mobility. They really need some stronger patents because Android is not the most original work out there..

On 2014-05-14 20:05:40, FMW300 wrote:
I just can't understand how they shipped so few phones. Only 8.8 million?

Samsung.

They said that they will flood the market and they are executing very well. No one stands a chance really.. at least for now. There was only one other OEM that could challenge Sammy in the android realm, but sadly they don't exist anymore.
tesndro353
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-05-23 05:35
Apple has dominated the market now... sort of.
chunkybeats
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2014-05-23 10:01
Actually Apple use a Sony lens for the 5 and 5s plus they don't manufacture their own chips and hardware they use a mix and then make it their own. You are blind if you think Apple manufactures all their innards!

Sony will be fine and last thing they would want is yankee crap.

I just have one normal question but how can the most hated brand in the world be the most successful? If you hated Apple simply you wouldn't buy it??
Angeaa
Model not set
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-06-28 14:10
but, how, How much longer can they keep going like this, it's like SE back in 2009, except the numbers are much bigger. The vultures are going to start circling over them if not already.
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Cheap Android phone from China
http://www.mobuyphone.com
PowerLee
Nokia Lumia 928
PM
Posted: 2014-06-28 14:22
One tip for Sony is for them to look at there own official support forum at all the complaint post's from annoyed Sony Xperia customer's that have suffered from repeated poor build quality, software faults & poor customer care from there official Sony care point.

Upsetting customers either if there long term Sony customer's who would always purchase a Sony handset OR new customer's that have moved over from Apple or Samsung just isn't good business sense, bad news travels around the internet fast & put's people of from parting with there money on a Sony product in the future.

In the past buying Sony meant you where buying a top quality well built product with excellent customer care back up, shame the same thing can't be said today!
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-07-31 11:45
Sony loses money from smartphone unit, games and movie divisions turn a profit

Sony posted a first quarter net profit of $261 million, which is a sliver of good news for the hardware giant who has had to sell off assets to stem the tide of losses last year. Operating profit at 69.8 billion yen ($680 million) for the quarter was nearly double that of what the manufacturer achieved during the same period last year.

Strong sales of Sony's latest console, the PlayStation 4, along with mainstream success of movies like The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and 22 Jump Street were the main reasons for Sony's profitable quarter.

As for the manufacturer's Xperia smartphone business, things aren't looking any better, as Sony has posted a loss of 2.7billion yen ($26 million) for the quarter. As a result, the manufacturer slashed its sales forecast for this year from a projected 50 million to 43 million units. Even after a significant consumer interest in devices like the Xperia Z2, Sony has not managed to turn a profit from the mobile unit, citing a waning demand for smartphones as the main cause for the less than stellar sales.

Even though the first quarter was profitable, Sony is estimated to accrue around $487 million in losses over the course of the year as the manufacturer restructures its business units.

Android Central
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2014-07-31 11:54
Looks like we're gonna read the news about Sony selling Xperia and quitting smartphone business soon enough
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi