Esato

Forum > General discussions > Tablets > Xperia Tablet Z2

Author Xperia Tablet Z2
xenia
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2014-04-02 10:59
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Got mine yesterday. 32gb WiFi only black. Great device.
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-04-02 11:43
@goldenface
Did yours arrive yet?

Mine is due via FedEx at my UK offices today then my father will bring it Beijing on the 9th.

Still trying to find the best way to explain my new purchase to my wife.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
CrownedAkuma
Sony Xperia Z2
PM
Posted: 2014-04-02 12:41
Pals! listen me, please
I've never had a tablet, I always thaught it was unecessary for me, but now I'm thinking about buying one... The Z2 or the iPad Air seems the best options, but I want to get away as much as possible from the apple ecosystem because I'm coming from a 5 years love story with an iPhone 3GS, and as of now I'm really tired of iOs (I know that there's the new style but it is all bells and whistles, already tried, already laughed at it)...
I'm a student, I'm attending the 4th Year of the Medicine course and my use for the Tablet would pratically be youtube, films, music, watching Juventus matches on SkyGo but most important SLIDES and POWERPOINT! that would be the reason for me to buy one... I'm so tired of bringing with me my heavy laptop (15", not the slimmest put there because I wanted it powerful ) which also use more space than a simple tablet... I'm not into mobile gaming so I do not care about games on tablet and smartphones... (I already have a PSVita and a PS3 )
I'm sure this summer I'll buy the Z2, which comes with a 5.2" inches screen... so what I'm asking you, considering all I said, is... Would you buy the Z2 and also the Tablet Z2? is it doable to use the Z2 (phone) to read slides? beacause if reading slides from a 5.2" screen is acceptable I would galdly keep the Tablet's Money in my poor pockets!!!
alexander87
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2014-04-02 14:24
buy Z2 Ultra

I've gone trough the same thinking process and the Ultra line suits me best, with an SBH 52 you wouldn't even care about it's size
[ This Message was edited by: alexander87 on 2014-04-02 13:25 ]
There are no more barriers to cross. All I have in common with the uncontrollable and the insane, the vicious and the evil, all the mayhem I have caused and my utter indifference toward it I have now surpassed.
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-04-02 17:41
I too was sceptical about the need for purchasing a tablet. When the iPad came out I refused to accept it as a viable form factor for usability, but then I played with an iPad for a few days and realised I was wrong.

I would say either:
Get a Z Ultra (or Z2 Ultra)
OR
Get Z2 + Z2 Tablet

I absolutely love having tablet and phone (Z + Z Tablet). The extra space on the tablet is worth it for watching movies, sports, browsing the internet. I only really use my mobile for when it's inconvenient to whip out my tablet e.g. when the subway is too crowded, I use my tablet for everything.

The trade-off between a tablet and a laptop is productivity. I haven't got to the stage where I can comfortably code an entire website on my tablet (I'm trying to as an experiment and I'm struggling for community and application support).

I would guess actually producing slideshows in PowerPoint on a tablet isn't a comfortable experience, not impossible, just uncomfortable with a solid keyboard and mouse. Viewing slides would be fantastic.. Even saying that, I've tried working with my tablet with a wireless trackpad and keyboard and it still isn't an easy solution to come to terms with, but then I am used to my dual-monitor i7 powerhouse desktop for productivity.

Bottomline: phone + tablet is a great combo for everything except serious constructive work
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2014-04-02 21:07
Yip, I'm definitely torn between the two.

The main attraction for me is watching films, TV and reading but I'm aware that for increased productivity I'd need the wireless keyboard and because I can touch type quite quickly, using the on screen keyboard would be very frustrating.

I doubt the voice typing is quite there yet, not for people with Scouse accents anyway.

Anyway, I think the Z2 tablet + wireless keyboard combination is more attractive, even though the Z ultra is at a great price right now. John Lewis have them in stock so it's looking like Friday now, for the purchase.

Another good reason to get the Z2 tablet is that I've noticed that Xperia tablets hold their resale value really well, so if I decided to upgrade to the 4G I won't be taking too much of a hit.

Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-04-02 22:33
I bought the 4G Z2 Tab. One of the big things I missed with having the wifi Z Tab was true mobility with data (wifi phone tethering doesn't hack it). The added functionality of the Z2 tab being able to use telephony services too (Z Tab couldn't receive calls) tipped the scales to the 4G version.

The keyboard accessory then fixes every gripe I had with the original Tab Z.

I'll probably keep my dormant Voda sim in the Tablet all the time now and not worry about missing important calls on my UK number.

Look what I got in the post today...
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
Felimenta97
Sony Xperia S
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-04-03 00:48
@Akuma

I have the original Tab Z and a Xperia S. Here are my views regarding your case:

First thing, I do not own a notebook myself. I either use my desktop or my mom's notebook (I'm 16, okay? lol), from time to time. The XTZ does not replace my phone AT ALL, and neither the notebook. Multi tasking, memory management (not RAM, I mean) on a full blown desktop/notebook is always better. I see tablets as a inbetween for phones and computers.

It ~might~ not be a problem with the S801 in the Tab Z2, but when using the Pro version of the Office app that Sony bundles (OfficeSuite) isn't the best when it comes to performance. The app itselfs run perfectly, but with heavier pdf pages or any .ppt or .pptx files, it can take a good few seconds to load. It's somewhat shameful close to friend's phones, that sometimes do the same thing faster. Might be a app problem, or device, or OS, or whatever. It isn't as fast as it could be. Reading a .ppt file is a pain in the *ss, as it constantly thinks you're editing it and it just annoys me. PDF, as said, can sometimes take a few seconds to load a page. (If you find a even better reader, please tell me )

I have the WiFi only version, which means even no data with it. So I rely on my phone to that (and it is freezing a hell lot). I have a important group on Whatsapp from school that I need to be always paying attention, and a few friends that mostly only contact me trhough it. So, it is in no ways a replacement also.

With my XS and a 4.3 inch 720p screen, I have no problems reading PDFs... At least the ones I use, have text big enough to be read without the need to zoom, and it's isn't unconfortable to read, when I can't use a bigger device. A bigger screen is always a plus, regarding that. Only problem with doing that is battery, which dies REALLY fast on the XS lol

If you have the money, I suggest you to buy one. It's a AWESOME device. The original Tab Z has the best tablet screen I ever saw. Even at the highest of angles, the colors do not change. Lowest brightness is more than enough for indoor usage without reflections without any problems for me. The sound quality is awesome for such a small, think and light device. I imagine the Tab Z2 will be even better. The 16 Gb model should be enough for you, but get a 32 or 64 Gb Micro SD card too (Class 10, of course) for the Music and Videos part (if you download them)...

And, always remember, it's not meant to replace neither your phone and your notebook. It's a inbetween for them. Hope you enjoy it. And sorry for the huge post.
I don't get people. Never Have, never will.
CrownedAkuma
Sony Xperia Z2
PM
Posted: 2014-04-03 09:06
Thanks all guys...
I decided for now to go with the Z2 alone... then, based on how much money I'll gain this summer I'll decide what to buy (iPad Mini, Xperia Z2 Tablet....) Many many thanks anyway

BTW
Here's a new Xperia Tablet Z2 review...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ve8UHrU2t8

@RickyD
You lucky guy! Shoot some photos and it to us
[ This Message was edited by: CrownedAkuma on 2014-04-03 08:07 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2014-04-03 14:40
Pre-orders have been stopped for the 16GB WiFi version on the Sony online Store. Sold out already?

http://shop.sonymobile.com/gb/tablets/

Smaug
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-04-03 19:50

On 2014-04-03 14:40:42, goldenface wrote:

Pre-orders have been stopped for the 16GB WiFi version on the Sony online Store. Sold out already?

It seems to change on a rapid basis. Last week it was on order, then changed to pre-order only, then changed back to order the next day.

I ordered Z2 16GB tablet on Friday through the Sony UK store, and it arrived today even though the estimated delivery date was 22nd - 26th April (a welcome surprise!). Picked up a free charging dock with it too. Any questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to respond.

I don't have any benchmarking apps loaded so answers would be purely subjective and based on my own experience. As always, such purchases are best left to your own opinion but I appreciate not everyone here is in a position to try out the Z2 tablet before deciding whether to buy one or not.
Smaug
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-04-03 20:09

On 2014-04-02 11:43:12, Ricky D wrote:

Still trying to find the best way to explain my new purchase to my wife.

CrownedAkuma
Sony Xperia Z2
PM
Posted: 2014-04-05 09:38
Away
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2014-04-05 10:44
http://www.techradar.com/revi[....]peria-z2-tablet-1226988/review

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

"A great tablet which still struggles to have a standout selling point"

And the joke of the year by a tech site goes to...
CrownedAkuma
Sony Xperia Z2
PM
Posted: 2014-04-05 11:12

On 2014-04-05 10:44:57, Away wrote:
http://www.techradar.com/revi[....]peria-z2-tablet-1226988/review

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

"A great tablet which still struggles to have a standout selling point"

And the joke of the year by a tech site goes to...

This are the Cons

"Against

Not a lot of tangible improvements
Likely to be pricey"

I could understand if the ccons was PRICEY... but LIKELY TO BE PRICEY? is this a joke...
It's like meeting for the first time with a girl and while thinking to Pross and Cons you put in the Cons "Likely to have Headache when the time for sex comes"...

Also here are the closure:
"Apple didn't need to add much to the iPad Air, and proved the case with a slightly improved processor and an overhaul on the design front.

Sony had already overachieved on that front in 2013, so the sequel was never going to scale the same heights. However, it's still a really great tablet, shaving weight off to make it feel nicer in the hand and giving the upgraded CPU that will keep the spec-heads happy.

Is it worth the higher price that it will command when the prequel is going to be much cheaper? It's hard to say yes from a purely fiscal standpoint - but there's enough in terms of design, technology and power here to say it will probably be the most impressive tablet on show at MWC 2014."

So apple do the same thing, new CPU and trimmed design, but runs away with a victory while Sony's Tablet is not worth the money?

Anyway... there are tons of awesome review out there for this product
I do not care about this half assed review
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic