On 2014-04-21 10:22:59, CrownedAkuma wrote:
Reviews Reviews Reviews Reviews

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/sony[....]2-review-bigger-better-1445256
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/te[....]eview-style-and-substance.html
http://news.asiaone.com/news/digital1/review-sony-xperia-z2
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/smartphones/1307533/sony-xperia-z2

SUMMING ALL UP

International Businnes Time 9/10
"The Xperia Z2 is not a dramatic improvement over last year's model but it shows that Sony is still producing smartphones which are challenging right at the top of the market.
While the large size and hefty £600 price tag may put some off, the excellent screen, the great camera, flawless build quality and fast performance make it a serious challenger to the Samsung Galaxy S5, HTC One M8 and eventually the iPhone 6 when Apple launch it later this year.
Scores:
Screen 9/10 – Excellent
Camera 10/10 – The best smartphone camera out there, bar the Nokia Lumia 1020
Software 8/10 – Sony's additional software is not too intrusive
Design 9/10 – Premium materials combined with a thinner and lighter body
Build quality 9/10 – Still water and dust proof, with a flawless build
Overall 9/10 – A refinement of last year's Z1, making it one of the best smartphone around
The Good:
Great screen
Great camera
Great build quality
The Bad:
Slightly too large
Expensive"

Telegraph
"Attempting to choose between any of the very latest smartphones is to dance slightly pointlessly on the head of a pin – the iPhone, S5, HTC One and Z2 are all excellent devices. Nokia too is coming up fast. But Samsung and Apple both pitch themselves increasingly as a gateway to apps and devices, while HTC and Sony focus on design. Both will offer more wearable devices in the near future. For now the Z2 is a device that can’t be bettered for photography fans who want detailed adjustment of settings, and offers a unique, appealing design that should serve Sony well. "

AsiaOne 4/5 stars
"My biggest beef is that in the three weeks when I was evaluating the phone, there were two system update notifications. Some may think it commendable that Sony rolled out updates so quickly, but the second update not only required the use of a computer, but also installation of extra software on the computer
This is a small flaw
, perhaps. But it reminded me that it has been months since any smartphone I tested had such an unwarranted dependency on a computer.
There is no doubt the Z1 is a great phone and that the Z2 does have improvements.
But with hardware that is almost identical and only slight tweaks in software, the Z2 also stands out as a example of an incremental upgrade.
It is definitely not the next big thing from Sony.
If you have the Xperia Z1, skip the Z2. If you are looking for a powerful Android phone with a great camera, the Xperia Z2 is a good choice."

Expert Reviews 4/5 stars
"Fortunately, the Z2 redeems itself with its astonishing battery life. Its huge 3,200mAh battery lasted a massive 16 hours and 45 minutes in our continuous video playback test with the screen set to half brightness, which is outstanding for a flagship smartphone. So far, only the LG G2 and Samsung Galaxy S5 have managed to beat this kind of battery life, and it's certainly a massive improvement from the Z1's ten hours under the same conditions.
Sony Xperia Z2 Conclusion
The Sony Xperia Z2 is certainly an improvement on the Z1, but even its huge battery life can't shake the feeling that most of its enhancements are minor updates rather than substantial steps forward. Compared to the Samsung Galaxy S5 and HTC One (m8), the Z2 can't quite cut it. It still has its merits, such as the waterproofing and Sony's straightforward take on Android, but for us the stylish metal HTC One, and more decisively the Galaxy S5, are ahead of it."

and in the end the S5 review from IBT... just for joke pourpose... so I'm deliberately copying only CONS...

"But there are missteps here too. The heart-rate monitor is just baffling, the fingerprint sensor is frustratingly awkward to use and the interface isn't the fastest.
These niggles are annoying and while they are not huge errors, they do take away from the sense that this is a truly great smartphone.
Scores
Software 7/10 – TouchWiz is better but seem to slow down the phone
Design 8/10 – Not great, not terrible. Plastic instead of metal makes it feel slightly cheap.
Overall 8/10 – An improvement on the S4, but minor niggles hold it back
The Bad
Sluggish interface
Fingerprint scanner doesn't work
Heart-rate monitor is....well....there
"

Anyway Z2 seems really great... everybody are praising Camera, Battery Life, Build Quality and Screen...
I only wishe dfor it to have 32Gb of ROM... but I can live with it...

Those reviewers are not paid by Samsung to promote only good for Samsung, i bet that GSMarena will be paid by Samsung for a stupid review of the Z2 mark my words
amirprog
W800
PM
Posted: 2014-04-21 10:34
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Mobile-review recap of a camera blind test results: http://www.mobile-review.com/[....]blind-comparison2-result.shtml
"If you choose the absolute leader in the category, they became smartphone Sony Xperia Z2, were among the best quality pictures largest number of times. Four times, pictures taken in "cars, 8 MP," and three times - in manual mode, a total of seven times." Z2 got the most votes.
their own opinion about that blind test: http://www.mobile-review.com/articles/2014/phototest.shtml#s10
overall they choose Z2 for second place with note 3 and s5. that pretty much puts Z2 overall on top for me since 1020/s5/note 3 are not appealing for me in terms of design, inferior hardware (mostly 1020), OS (windows/touchwiz) and in other features Z2 has that they don't have like DNC, more reliable waterproofing, stereo speakers, etc.
[ This Message was edited by: amirprog on 2014-04-21 10:01 ]
miromiromi
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-04-21 14:27
^that's how everyone should do blind comparisons but they should not include crops because they can be misleading. some great photos look inferior because they're zoomed in.
davidsic
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2014-04-21 15:00
It's when zooming at 100% in the pics that we see the qualities and flaws of the sensor, optics and software processing
miromiromi
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-04-21 15:17
^ (if you are responding to my post, let me answer back )

of course. i have nothing against pixel peeping there. what i mean with what i said is the placing of those arbitrary crops. all those photos can be viewed in their full pixel by pixel glory if you click on them.

my issue is that some of the crops they used make the photos from the better cameras look less than desirable because they are not shown at similar sizes i.e. one crop shows a less than flattering composition while the other looks better because if the way it is cropped. the elements present in a photo can create an optical illusion that can improve or reduce their appearance – just like an image that looks more vibrant because it includes a background that enhance colors and contrast.

voters should just be given the choice to zoom in on where they want to zoom in.
[ This Message was edited by: miromiromi on 2014-04-21 14:20 ]
Jiggs29
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2014-04-21 17:28
theverge review

http://www.theverge.com/2014/[....]xperia-z2-and-z2-tablet-review
CrownedAkuma
Sony Xperia Z2
PM
Posted: 2014-04-21 18:37

On 2014-04-21 17:28:57, Jiggs29 wrote:
theverge review

http://www.theverge.com/2014/[....]xperia-z2-and-z2-tablet-review

"In an ironic twist, Sony's biggest upgrade is also the strongest reason not to buy its new phone. The Japanese company's new IPS screen rectifies a longstanding weaknesses in display quality, but then replaces it with absolutely terrible outdoor performance. Design improvements have been only incremental, such as the reduced bezel, and software advances are few and far between. If you own an Xperia Z1 or even the earlier Xperia Z, you'll be fine sticking with what you have rather than jumping to the latest model.

Along with most other smartphone makers, Sony is starting to stagnate. 2014 has so far been characterized by such gimmicky additions as the Galaxy S5's heart rate monitor and the HTC One's depth camera sensor. With meaningful hardware distinctions almost gone, the choice between the leading Android phones comes down to your preferred combination of user experience and look. I find HTC's latest version of Sense the most mature and smartly restrained of all Android skins, followed by Sony's UI, and trailed by a distant and befuddled Samsung. At the same time, the original Android 4.4 phone, Google's Nexus 5, is no less appealing and it's significantly cheaper than any one of the new year's crop of contenders.

Notwithstanding its lack of substantial differentiation, the Xperia Z2 is still a very good phone. Those stereo speakers and the large battery really are handy things to have during marathon runs through YouTube's library of Noam Chomsky lectures. The Xperia Z2 is far from a failure, but Sony's self-appointed mission to stand out and be substantively different hasn't been accomplished."

Good Stuff
Shipping with Android 4.4
Strong battery life
Hardy, waterproof design

Bad Stuff
Doesn't offer anything you couldn't get in 2013
Screen is practically useless outdoors
Camera software needs improvement
Smaller would have been better

Woow... The Verge is the first to criticize the IPS screen... I would like to know of this is true or not because really, they are the first to say this... still Battery, Stereo Speaker gwet some love

The "Doesn't offer anything you couldn't get in 2013" cons it's just ridicoulous! as much as the "Shipping with Android 4.4" pro! really laughable...

EDIT
About the outdoor display problem.. look here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch[....]detailpage&v=repibZZM1MU#t=219
and here
https://www.youtube.com/watch[....]detailpage&v=repibZZM1MU#t=462
and here
https://www.youtube.com/watch[....]detailpage&v=repibZZM1MU#t=332
It's the same video with the display showed outside... I remembered it... What do you guys think?
My iPhone 3GS is WAY LESS readable under sun or in the shade... I think it's ok...
[ This Message was edited by: CrownedAkuma on 2014-04-21 17:47 ]
amirprog
W800
PM
Posted: 2014-04-21 18:56
@CrownedAkuma
from mobile-review Z2 review about the display brightness: http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sony-xperia-z2.shtml#s4
"...brightness is inferior to modern devices - it is worse than the HTC One M8, and therefore much worse than Galaxy S5, where the brightness to half already very comfortable, and the maximum value and too many just do not need.
In my opinion, it is the brightness - the Achilles' heel of this device, it is comfortable to the maximum, but no stock is not that frustrating. Phone picture quality is comparable with competitors - as usual, not sure that the photos can convey the difference in the picture, it is different. But most of the images are comparable, the only question is which version of the painting you like (From top to bottom: HTC One M8, Samsung Galaxy S5, Sony Xperia Z2)."

in other more understandable words, they also say that brightness is weaker then m8 and s5 but it's not a real problem since putting brightness to the maximum level suffice and the display quality is as good if not better then the rivals.
personally, i wouldn't be worried about the brightness since i tend to put my phone on half the brightness most of the time, unless i watch a movie, etc. but that it usually indoors.
let's thank google translate.
[ This Message was edited by: amirprog on 2014-04-21 18:10 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-04-21 20:46
Jeez you lot need to get out more
Phone?? What phone??
amirprog
W800
PM
Posted: 2014-04-21 21:12
@Bonovox
In the modern life "some" people do study and work in daytime, shocking, isn't it? i guess you are a gardener or something? not that there is something bad with being a gardener, just saying.
anyway, Z2 has a beautiful display nonetheless, overall as good as the best, as all reviews basically say.
[ This Message was edited by: amirprog on 2014-04-21 20:16 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-04-21 21:38
Erm,no I am a security guard you
Phone?? What phone??
McKinley
K750
PM
Posted: 2014-04-21 22:36

On 2014-04-21 10:34:43, amirprog wrote:
Mobile-review recap of a camera blind test results: http://www.mobile-review.com/[....]blind-comparison2-result.shtml
"If you choose the absolute leader in the category, they became smartphone Sony Xperia Z2, were among the best quality pictures largest number of times. Four times, pictures taken in "cars, 8 MP," and three times - in manual mode, a total of seven times." Z2 got the most votes.
their own opinion about that blind test: http://www.mobile-review.com/articles/2014/phototest.shtml#s10
overall they choose Z2 for second place with note 3 and s5. that pretty much puts Z2 overall on top for me since 1020/s5/note 3 are not appealing for me in terms of design, inferior hardware (mostly 1020), OS (windows/touchwiz) and in other features Z2 has that they don't have like DNC, more reliable waterproofing, stereo speakers, etc.

The Nokia 1020 did really bad in that test in my opinion. The LG G2 surprised me and fared better in most situations with better colour reproduction.

The overall winner for me is the Z2 in 8MP.
GH688, T28, T39 and T68
Nokia 6110, 8110, 8850, 6230, N82
Moto V525 and RAZR V3
Samsung T100, S300 and E700
T68, T610, Z600, T630, K700, S700, V800, K750, S600, M600, S500, P1i, K850, X1 X10, Vivaz
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2014-04-21 23:50

On 2014-04-21 22:36:57, McKinley wrote:
The Nokia 1020 did really bad in that test in my opinion. The LG G2 surprised me and fared better in most situations with better colour reproduction.

Considering the size of the sensor on the 1020 it should be much better, but the weak DSP really holds it back. Also, the optics are not as good as the 808's .. very similar construction but thinner.

Still, you can get a better image out of the 1020 than any of the other ones.

The Z2,GS5,1520 are all in the same boat.. very slight differences between them
dalmac
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2014-04-22 00:43

On 2014-04-21 22:36:57, McKinley wrote:

On 2014-04-21 10:34:43, amirprog wrote:

If you value the camera in your smartphone do NOT go for the G2. Shots of things that are still are fine, but shots of anything that moves come out as blurry mess. This is due to the phone's over-reliance on th OIS to get lots of light in. I had a G2 and got rid of it because of the camera (the rest of the phone was fantastic).
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-04-22 01:05
Over reliance on the OIS to get more light in?? Since when does the OIS let in the light?? That's down to the sensor
Phone?? What phone??
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 555657 ... 130131132  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic