Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Report: Windows Phone is the world's fastest growing smartphone operating system

Author Report: Windows Phone is the world's fastest growing smartphone operating system
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-11-01 19:51
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Data from Strategy Analytics suggests sales of Windows Phone units were up over 275% year-over-year for the third quarter.
Windows Phone has been in third place for mobile operating systems for quite some time. The latest developments around BlackBerry only widen the lead for Windows Phone, while cementing its spot in third. However, to catch up to the likes of Android and iOS it has a lot of work left to do. The latest numbers in market share and global shipments show Windows Phone making solid progress in the third quarter of 2013.

Windows Phone in the third quarter of 2013
The big takeaway in a report from Strategy Analytics? Windows Phone has managed to double its market share and now is the world’s fastest growing smartphone operating system. How’d Microsoft and its partners do that? Pretty easy. By shipping 10.2 million smartphones in Q3 2013. It was the first time that Windows Phone has had numbers like that for one quarter. For perspective, in Q3 2012 Windows Phone only moved 3.7 million units compared to 10.2 million one year later.

That’s pretty impressive for Windows Phone, 10.2 million units in one quarter is nothing for us to scoff off considering the past few years of growth. What’s also interesting is how many of those are from Nokia. We’ve seen data from AdDuplex that suggests Nokia accounts for nearly 90% of all Windows Phone in use right now. Remember that Nokia sold 8.8 million units this past quarter, which puts it close to that 90% mark of Windows Phone market share.

Additionally, the report points out that Windows Phone has gone from 2% to 4% in market share over the past year. Those numbers are interesting, because we’ve seen other reports that list Windows Phone at 4% marketshare earlier this year.

Everyone else
What’s the rest of the mobile landscape look like around the globe? Bleak for BlackBerry, that’s for sure. Global market share of BlackBerry handsets went from 4% to 1% when looking at the past year. Android is still king of the hill with 81.3% of smartphones shipped in Q3 2013 running the little green robot. Apple was at 13.4% for the same quarter and is the smartphone maker that Windows Phone will have to pass next to get to the number 2 position. Overall, the future of mobile is strong with global smartphone shipments growing 45% in one year. In Q3 2013 we saw 251.4 million units moved, compared to 172.8 million the same period one year prior. The future is bright, the future is mobile.

How long until we pass iOS in quarterly shipments with Windows Phone? Make your predictions below.

http://www.wpcentral.com/wind[....]ng-smartphone-operating-system

[ This Message was edited by: laffen on 2013-11-10 22:45 ]
Phone?? What phone??
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2013-11-02 13:10
Nice! Like i said earlier MS took over NOKIA at a good time.Unlike 5-6 months back i know many ppl who has a WP!
Everyone in my family also has a WP now except me ..and im liking it.Might upgrade to one next year!
I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2013-11-03 08:32
In my family two people have migrated to WP.My aunt a Blackberry user upgraded to a Nokia Lumia 820.She's very happy with it.Her husband a Samsung Galaxy S2 user on the other hand not so happy with his Lumia 920 for all the obvious reasons coming from Android.
A friend of mine has also gone from a Blackberry to a Nokia Lumia 520 and the only complaint that she seems to have is missing a physical keyboard.
Hoping to see more WP's pop up all over the place.I'm all Android at the moment but have a beady eye on the progress of WP.I even have http://www.allaboutwindowsphone.com bookmarked to keep up to date with whats happening with the platform.
[ This Message was edited by: Hobbs on 2013-11-03 07:33 ]
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2013-11-03 10:05
Oh so I see, they are like Apple, playing stupid with numbers. If Android goes from 76 to 81% of market share, having growth of +5%, it's not fastest growing, because it's relative to 76% growth is only a little over 6%. When Windows Phone goes from 2 to 4%, having growth of 2% (much lower than Android), it's relative growth is 100%.

So tell me, is it really fastest growing OS? Or just bullshit statistics like Apple claiming every year that cumulative iPhone sales are growing faster as ever...
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi