Forum > General discussions > Rumours > SONY XPERIA Rumors 2014

Previous  123 ... 386387388 ... 414415416  Next
Author SONY XPERIA Rumors 2014
Felimenta97
Sony Xperia S
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-10-31 09:38
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Well, actually Sony said they didn't wanted to make a Nexus at the time, as they were asked to do so. So, Google contacted them. Sony refused.
Also, I can only see thousands of Sony fans leaving Sony if they go full Windows Phone. And, you said it's the way to go? Let's do some math. Let's consider that, if Sony goes full Windows Phone, and Microsoft allows them to eat 30% of the WP market, which I don't think will happen. WP as a worldwide 3 or 4% market share. Let's consider that Sony has 3 or 4% of the world brand share, and not Android only. If Sony gets those 30% from MS, they would go from 3% to 0.9%. I can't see that being a good number.
I don't get people. Never Have, never will.
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-10-31 11:10
Some positive news on the sales front as Sony snatch 3rd spot from Nokia in the UK.
http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/[....]-number-3-spot-from-nokia.aspx
I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
MNX1024
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-10-31 14:22

On 2014-10-31 04:18:05, Wintermute wrote:
If they do it, they need to start a new line of phones, and not pollute the Xperia line with Windows.

You do know that Xperia was originally developed with Windows, right? X1, remember? Aaah.... That was the good ol days.
Gitaroo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-10-31 14:44

On 2014-10-31 07:53:44, Ebato wrote:

Yeah, that's what Sony needs, Windows. /s

Jesus Christ, I can't believe anybody not being paid by Microsoft is calling for this. If they do it, they need to start a new line of phones, and not pollute the Xperia line with Windows.

Lagdroid, how has it worked out for sony? Sure very well /s

Yes win phone 10 and win 10 for tablets is the way to go. The only alternative to being crushed in the android space with Sony's miserable 2-4% market share. Win phone is growing in double digit numbers in Europe, Sony's key market, so I see no reason not to offer a few phones with the new OS. Suzuki was the main stopping force, bending over to google, thinking this loyalty will make them any good. Guess what, they've never bothered to offer Sony to produce any nexus devices, they showed them zero support. Microsoft on the other hand is making billions and is not going anywhere any time soon. They need partners, they have the money, they have the patents and the marketing muscle. Yes Sony competes with them in the gaming console business. But it's business, never personal, considering Sony is fighting for survival now and have no options left if you look close enough.
[ This Message was edited by: Ebato on 2014-10-31 06:59 ]

I think MS billions of dollars revenue are mainly coming from Windows and Office stuffs, they are pretty much tanking on everything else. Jumping on Windows phone probably make Sony tank faster unless they get a 1 billion dollar pay off from MS, then its worth the risk. Right now the only thing Sony can do with the mobile division is to make sure they strengthen their marketing in their strong region and expand in the US. For countries like China their only option is to make alternative models of their flagship with plastic material to compete with Xiaomi pricing.
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2014-10-31 17:57

On 2014-10-31 14:44:57, Gitaroo wrote:
I think MS billions of dollars revenue are mainly coming from Windows and Office stuffs, they are pretty much tanking on everything else.

You are clearly not familiar with their business model.. Microsoft is doing very well overall, certainly a lot better than Sony. To think that Microsoft is only Windows and Office is rather ignorant.

http://www.microsoft.com/Inve[....]ndWebcast/FY15/Q1/default.aspx

Its also reflected in their stock price and market capitalization in past year, and if everything else was "tanking" like you suggest, this would be impossible.

And then look at their market caps, I don't even see Sony in the top 10

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/[....]tions_by_market_capitalization

My worry about Sony's corporate health is based on their performance.. its not looking great

Wintermute
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-10-31 18:02

On 2014-10-31 07:53:44, Ebato wrote:

Yeah, that's what Sony needs, Windows. /s

Jesus Christ, I can't believe anybody not being paid by Microsoft is calling for this. If they do it, they need to start a new line of phones, and not pollute the Xperia line with Windows.

Lagdroid, how has it worked out for sony? Sure very well /s

Yes win phone 10 and win 10 for tablets is the way to go. The only alternative to being crushed in the android space with Sony's miserable 2-4% market share. Win phone is growing in double digit numbers in Europe, Sony's key market, so I see no reason not to offer a few phones with the new OS. Suzuki was the main stopping force, bending over to google, thinking this loyalty will make them any good. Guess what, they've never bothered to offer Sony to produce any nexus devices, they showed them zero support. Microsoft on the other hand is making billions and is not going anywhere any time soon. They need partners, they have the money, they have the patents and the marketing muscle. Yes Sony competes with them in the gaming console business. But it's business, never personal, considering Sony is fighting for survival now and have no options left if you look close enough.
[ This Message was edited by: Ebato on 2014-10-31 06:59 ]

"Lagdroid?" If you don't like Android, you need to GTFO. Xperia uses Android. And I don't know about you, but my Android phones all work better than my Windows PCs. "Lagdroid?" Do people still say this? Now that Android is by far the most successful operating system in the world?

Windows phone is a rounding error compared to Android. Face it, WP has failed. It hasn't managed to crack 5% market share in the US in over 4 years despite Microsoft paying people to develop for it, despite them giving the phones away. If you think moving from the OS with 70% market share to the OS with 4% market share will do Sony any favors at all, then the only thing I have to say is, there's a good reason you're not calling the shots at a major corporation. [addsig]
Wintermute
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-10-31 18:07

On 2014-10-31 14:22:02, MNX1024 wrote:

If they do it, they need to start a new line of phones, and not pollute the Xperia line with Windows.

Right, but that was in like, 2009 or something. WAY before Xperia became what it is today--an established brand known for quality Android phones. Like it or not, Xperia is associated with Android.
You do know that Xperia was originally developed with Windows, right? X1, remember? Aaah.... That was the good ol days.
testarlol
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2014-10-31 18:38

On 2014-10-31 17:57:31, cu015170 wrote:

On 2014-10-31 14:44:57, Gitaroo wrote:
I think MS billions of dollars revenue are mainly coming from Windows and Office stuffs, they are pretty much tanking on everything else.

You are clearly not familiar with their business model.. Microsoft is doing very well overall, certainly a lot better than Sony. To think that Microsoft is only Windows and Office is rather ignorant.

http://www.microsoft.com/Inve[....]ndWebcast/FY15/Q1/default.aspx

Its also reflected in their stock price and market capitalization in past year, and if everything else was "tanking" like you suggest, this would be impossible.

And then look at their market caps, I don't even see Sony in the top 10

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/[....]tions_by_market_capitalization

My worry about Sony's corporate health is based on their performance.. its not looking great

Is this a joke? Are you aware that Microsoft is the largest and one of the most profitable software companies in the world with a market share of about 90% in consumer PC and corporate client operating systems, that it dominates the market in office suites with its Office package, and that it has a significant presence in server operating systems, database and other back office/enterprise software, cloud services etc. That's before you even start counting the Xbox, the Bing search engine and the "Microsoft Mobile" divisions (though the latter isn't exactly going very well for Microsoft). How exactly can a comparison be made on a market cap basis with Sony, which is a completely different company and doesn't even operate in the businesses where Microsoft makes the vast majority of their profits?

And yes, Gitaroo is certainly correct when he states that only a very small part of Microsoft's revenues comes from their highly unsuccesful venture into mobile phones and tablets (their first two Surface tablets even resulted in billion-dollar write-offs for Microsoft). If the stock market wasn't highly aware that these businesses are for the time being not critical for Microsoft's revenue stream and profitability, they would be avoiding the stock like the plague exactly as Gitaroo suggests.

To abandon Android, the dominant mobile operating system, for Windows, which is struggling to maintain over 4% market share in the mobile space, would be suicidial; just like Nokia's partnership with Microsoft turned out to be suicidial, as everyone with a brain was able to predict.
[ This Message was edited by: testarlol on 2014-10-31 17:48 ]
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-10-31 19:02

Has ANY manufacturer been successful in WP without Microsoft having to pump millions and even billions into them?
The Lumia phones are great but lets be real here, WP hasn't been much of a succes.

Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Gitaroo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-10-31 20:23
people that has been saying that Sony should jump on the Windows phones bandwagon are basically out of their mind, and hardcore WP fanboys. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that is a sinking ship, actually I dont think it ever float before. It user base can grow 100 times next year and stilll a joke compare to android. Glad those people don't don't Sony mobile, they will probably end up even worse than what they are at now. Only thing they can do is try to figure out how to reach their mass market like US and India. China is too hard because of the chinese brand and their dirt cheap price.
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2014-10-31 20:37
Sony doesn't need to pick one or the other, they can have both systems run on their hardware like HTC for example..

On 2014-10-31 18:38:57, testarlol wrote:
And yes, Gitaroo is certainly correct when he states that only a very small part of Microsoft's revenues comes from their highly unsuccesful venture into mobile phones and tablets (their first two Surface tablets even resulted in billion-dollar write-offs for Microsoft).

I was addressing the "everything else is tanking" comment, which is clearly not true.
[ This Message was edited by: cu015170 on 2014-10-31 19:38 ]
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-10-31 21:56
What about Xbox branding in WP? How will Sony avoid that? Will they have to make their own PS software for WP and take away from the WP Xbox Live gaming experience in WP?
How will Sony differentiate themselves SW wise? will we have both PS and Xbox in one phone?

HTC, Samsung and many other OEMs in WP seem to struggle to differentiate themselves, so much so that you now have HTC rereleasing an Android phone many months later with WP in it, using its Android popularity to drive sales in WP, its a bit sad, after all the work they've done with the 8X, 8S and many other WP phones they made, they are now left to do this.

I just don't see WP helping Sony, they need something new and fresh, and you know what? In Android they can achieve that with a whole UI design change and HW design change.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Gitaroo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-10-31 22:57

On 2014-10-31 20:37:44, cu015170 wrote:
Sony doesn't need to pick one or the other, they can have both systems run on their hardware like HTC for example..

On 2014-10-31 18:38:57, testarlol wrote:
And yes, Gitaroo is certainly correct when he states that only a very small part of Microsoft's revenues comes from their highly unsuccesful venture into mobile phones and tablets (their first two Surface tablets even resulted in billion-dollar write-offs for Microsoft).

I was addressing the "everything else is tanking" comment, which is clearly not true.
[ This Message was edited by: cu015170 on 2014-10-31 19:38 ]

What I meant was everything that is not PC software related, tablet, phones, zune etc.
[ This Message was edited by: Gitaroo on 2014-10-31 21:57 ]
Gitaroo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-10-31 23:00

On 2014-10-31 21:56:34, Tsepz_GP wrote:
What about Xbox branding in WP? How will Sony avoid that? Will they have to make their own PS software for WP and take away from the WP Xbox Live gaming experience in WP?
How will Sony differentiate themselves SW wise? will we have both PS and Xbox in one phone?

HTC, Samsung and many other OEMs in WP seem to struggle to differentiate themselves, so much so that you now have HTC rereleasing an Android phone many months later with WP in it, using its Android popularity to drive sales in WP, its a bit sad, after all the work they've done with the 8X, 8S and many other WP phones they made, they are now left to do this.

I just don't see WP helping Sony, they need something new and fresh, and you know what? In Android they can achieve that with a whole UI design change and HW design change.

The market just can't handle a 3 OS now, or a brand new eco system where the other 2 are so far developed. As simple as that, no matter how much money MS pump into the Windows phone OS they can never keep up.
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2014-11-01 01:21

On 2014-10-31 22:57:00, Gitaroo wrote:
What I meant was everything that is not PC software related, tablet, phones, zune etc.

So you are talking about consumer hardware ? I though you mean everything else that Microsoft does which is a lot more than just that

On 2014-10-31 21:56:34, Tsepz_GP wrote:
What about Xbox branding in WP?

I think that is the biggest issue and I really don't see a way around it unfortunately unless Microsoft agrees to have a special deal with Sony and exclude the xbox branding but that's extremely unlikely.

I don't think about that to be honest but its obviously a big obstacle.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 386387388 ... 414415416  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic