Forum > General discussions > Rumours > SONY XPERIA Rumors 2014

Previous  123 ... 379380381 ... 414415416  Next
Author SONY XPERIA Rumors 2014
Gitaroo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-10-19 20:44
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
unless S810 is 3-4 times more powerful than S805, 4K will be laggy as hell and battery life is going to be complete crap. I can see sony current battery life tech gets improve and works on 2K screen but not 4K.
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-10-19 22:02
http://www.knowyourmobile.com[....]ys-55mp-cameras-64-bit-android

According to Know Your Mobile the SD 810 is the first CPU designed to be used with a 4K display and also the Adreno 430 is able to play full 3D gaming at that resolution so who knows I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2014-10-19 23:36

On 2014-10-19 16:49:02, xperiazultra wrote:

Well I don't agree. In android market you have to make a phablet. Problem with Z Ultra was the poor camera and software features. Now with the 6 inch Nexus I believe Sammy S series and Z series are in serious threat. You have to compete with Note series just for the sake of brand recognition. Or you end up like HTC. Good phones but niche. I refuse any ideas accepting Sony ignoring the phablet market. The 2 products you make really shine your brand. Phablet and the flagship. Latter one declining year over year. Mark my words. No phablets with software features rival to Note series from Sony in 2015. Goodbye Sony Mobile Division.

Nexus 6 will not be a threat to the Note or Z series. Simple reason, price. Before nexus devices were sold cheap with ok/good specs, but now, at 649 US unlocked, not subsidized, the phone competes with all the brands. This is a hard price to swallow for users used to cheap nexus devices. Sure the phone will get all updates almost instantaneously but it is still a SD805, not 64 bit cpu, and on old process, ie not 20nm as the SD810 will be.

Sony does not need a phablet at this moment, maybe in the future, but it first needs to sort out its flagship, mid and low end, then expand. Besides, competing with samsung's immense marketing budget is not something Sony is not capable of right now. Absence of a phablet will not kill Sony mobile, a poor Z4 flagship might.

On 2014-10-19 20:44:03, Gitaroo wrote:
unless S810 is 3-4 times more powerful than S805, 4K will be laggy as hell and battery life is going to be complete crap. I can see sony current battery life tech gets improve and works on 2K screen but not 4K.

Not to do with power but the chip inside the 810, which has dedicated hardware encode/decode of 4K using H.265, something which is currently missing on the SD805 and older CPUs. So this should help in battery life and file size for videos.

The current crop of cpus is built on a 28nm process, where as the new 810 and 808 wil be on 20nm which will reduce both battery power consumption and heat generation. So if the battery size remains the same, new 20nm, new 4k screen, then battery life should be near what we have today. Who knows, it might even be longer. As chips get smaller and more efficient, power consumption drops and battery life increases.

Don't think Sony would go for a 4k screen on a smartphone, don't think it exists or is production ready. Currently 2k or QHD is the highest, this is of course 4x 720p (pixel wise)

Real 4K is UHD, or 3840x2160, which is 4x full HD (pixel wise again). This is the resolution which all 4K phones record at, which is nice, since if you have a 4K tv, it should look quite good, or at least better than fullHD on it from a cell phone.

Until said Z4 appears in photos or leaked benchmarks, it is anyone's guess what it will feature. Even the supposed Sony rumours and sources should not always be trusted.
Wintermute
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-10-20 05:15
Good posts, ascariss. Thank you.
xperiazultra
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-10-20 06:50

On 2014-10-19 23:36:14, ascariss wrote:

On 2014-10-19 16:49:02, xperiazultra wrote:

Well I don't agree. In android market you have to make a phablet. Problem with Z Ultra was the poor camera and software features. Now with the 6 inch Nexus I believe Sammy S series and Z series are in serious threat. You have to compete with Note series just for the sake of brand recognition. Or you end up like HTC. Good phones but niche. I refuse any ideas accepting Sony ignoring the phablet market. The 2 products you make really shine your brand. Phablet and the flagship. Latter one declining year over year. Mark my words. No phablets with software features rival to Note series from Sony in 2015. Goodbye Sony Mobile Division.

Nexus 6 will not be a threat to the Note or Z series. Simple reason, price. Before nexus devices were sold cheap with ok/good specs, but now, at 649 US unlocked, not subsidized, the phone competes with all the brands. This is a hard price to swallow for users used to cheap nexus devices. Sure the phone will get all updates almost instantaneously but it is still a SD805, not 64 bit cpu, and on old process, ie not 20nm as the SD810 will be.

Sony does not need a phablet at this moment, maybe in the future, but it first needs to sort out its flagship, mid and low end, then expand. Besides, competing with samsung's immense marketing budget is not something Sony is not capable of right now. Absence of a phablet will not kill Sony mobile, a poor Z4 flagship might.

On 2014-10-19 20:44:03, Gitaroo wrote:

Not to do with power but the chip inside the 810, which has dedicated hardware encode/decode of 4K using H.265, something which is currently missing on the SD805 and older CPUs. So this should help in battery life and file size for videos.

The current crop of cpus is built on a 28nm process, where as the new 810 and 808 wil be on 20nm which will reduce both battery power consumption and heat generation. So if the battery size remains the same, new 20nm, new 4k screen, then battery life should be near what we have today. Who knows, it might even be longer. As chips get smaller and more efficient, power consumption drops and battery life increases.

Don't think Sony would go for a 4k screen on a smartphone, don't think it exists or is production ready. Currently 2k or QHD is the highest, this is of course 4x 720p (pixel wise)

Real 4K is UHD, or 3840x2160, which is 4x full HD (pixel wise again). This is the resolution which all 4K phones record at, which is nice, since if you have a 4K tv, it should look quite good, or at least better than fullHD on it from a cell phone.

Until said Z4 appears in photos or leaked benchmarks, it is anyone's guess what it will feature. Even the supposed Sony rumours and sources should not always be trusted.

Well We'll see next year when Sony announces another loss. There is nothing wrong about Sony's flagship phone. The Trend is moving to 6+ devices. Hope Sony does not miss the boat.
heorung
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-10-20 10:07
I don't know why people want to put a 2K display on a 5.5inch screen , absolutely awful and crazy. With the new cpu tech and 1080p display , xperia 2015 phone can easily hit 4 days battery life.
amirprog
W800
PM
Posted: 2014-10-20 13:09
@heorung
The answer to that is that current battery life of z3 is very good, maybe best in the market. nobody really needs a smartphone to operate without charging for 5 days with use. if one wants easily a few days of battery life with use then you can always buy external pocket battery. second, there are subtle differences in 2k displays. whether its imprtant to you or not - personal preference. you can always buy the previous year flag (to be z3) and enjoy your 1080p display.
@xperiazultra
of course. sony can only benefit from a 6" flagship phablet. the thing is - with their new rumored strategy of main flag once a year i think it will be better if they announce a phablet between mwc and ifa so they get more wow effect and innovation/evolution in the device features. no manufacturer aside of arrogant apple wants to announce main flagship and phablet at the same half of the year...
[ This Message was edited by: amirprog on 2014-10-20 12:14 ]
xperiazultra
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-10-20 13:35

On 2014-10-20 13:09:48, amirprog wrote:
@heorung
The answer to that is that current battery life of z3 is very good, maybe best in the market. nobody really needs a smartphone to operate without charging for 5 days with use. if one wants easily a few days of battery life with use then you can always buy external pocket battery. second, there are subtle differences in 2k displays. whether its imprtant to you or not - personal preference. you can always buy the previous year flag (to be z3) and enjoy your 1080p display.
@xperiazultra
of course. sony can only benefit from a 6" flagship phablet. the thing is - with their new rumored strategy of main flag once a year i think it will be better if they announce a phablet between mwc and ifa so they get more wow effect and innovation/evolution in the device features. no manufacturer aside of arrogant apple wants to announce main flagship and phablet at the same half of the year...
[ This Message was edited by: amirprog on 2014-10-20 12:14 ]

@amirprog

I agree. April-May seems reasonable like Note series used to be announced. But they should at least leak info about a phablet in process. Not shutting down every rumor.
coolkid8689
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2014-10-20 13:48
It'll be great, if Sony manages to reduce charging time of Z4.. Cos, my Z1 is taking too much time to get charged fully.. So it'll be a great improvement...
amirprog
W800
PM
Posted: 2014-10-20 13:50
@xperiazultra
Well, based rumors for a new device usually come a few months before so i don't think we should expect phablet rumors before february.
another good time frame for phablet announcement would be ifa with a new compact and tablet compact because there is more differentiation between 4.6" and a 6" as opposed to 5.5" and 6" and you want to maximise the device innovation/evolution of its features as much as possible... if i'm sony then i'd actually like ifa better. i'd try to avoid announcement of flag phablet outside ifa.
@coolkid8689
+1
[ This Message was edited by: amirprog on 2014-10-20 12:54 ]
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-10-20 15:00
I think the addition of a phablet is a welcome to those that require such a product. However in my store and on a daily basis the amount of customers that complain about phones being 2 big now massively out weigh those that require a phablet. The one area Sony is doing wonders in is their Compact range. That is currently the best selling Xperia smartphone on the market. As Samsung have cornered the phablet market with the Note Series, Sony could and they are probably on their way in doing so corner the smaller, high end/premium Android smartphone.
I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2014-10-20 15:14
Regarding USB 3.1 and USB Type-C connector in Z4,

Some says that Snapdragon 810 only support USB 3.0 and not USB 3.1, it's fine as Type-C connector does not require USB 3.1, it can still be used with USB 3.0 or even USB 2.0.. in fact a passive adapter can be used to convert from microUSB to Type-C and vise-versa with no complexity required...
evaleon
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2014-10-20 16:26
And I was looking forward to a new design concept in Z4 ... One of the reasons i skipped Z3 and still stuck with my Xperia P (that transparent bar!)... Everyone in my family owns a Z series phone and they all look similar..I wanted something different.Oh well i guess i will still wait for Z4 and maybe get it, my XP even though manages everything beautifully its still too outdated..
Wintermute
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-10-20 18:37
I'd like to see Sony maintain something like the 4.6-4.7" (4.7" max) Z Compact, a 5.2-5.3" flagship, and a 5.9-6.something phablet. If they can further slim the bezels (and I have no doubt that they will continue to make progress there) then I think pretty much everyone interested in a Sony phone could find one of the three they could live with.

On a side note, I must be one of the few pleased to see Sony retain the Omnibalance design. Of course no one wants the exact same design year after year, but I think it's so classy looking, and Sony has done a good job refining it in subtle but noticeable ways. Apple has their own sort of style, so I think it's smart for Sony to have a general sort of design philosophy that's immediately recognizable. I'd love for Sony to become the anti-Apple: great designs and high quality, just like Apple, but non-proprietary accessories that work with any Android phone. Phones that make it easy to install an AOSP ROM if that's what the customer wants. I think they're heading this way, and I like it.
evaleon
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2014-10-21 06:36

On 2014-10-20 18:37:59, Wintermute wrote:
On a side note, I must be one of the few pleased to see Sony retain the Omnibalance design. Of course no one wants the exact same design year after year, but I think it's so classy looking, and Sony has done a good job refining it in subtle but noticeable ways. Apple has their own sort of style, so I think it's smart for Sony to have a general sort of design philosophy that's immediately recognizable.

Agreed..Ok I am gonna contradict myself saying this but you are right omnibalance is unique, I can spot a Sony phone anywhere because of it.One of the most beautiful phones out there..but I was wishing for a black phone with golden metal highlights or something along those lines.. dreams dreams..

I'd love for Sony to become the anti-Apple: great designs and high quality, just like Apple, but non-proprietary accessories that work with any Android phone. Phones that make it easy to install an AOSP ROM if that's what the customer wants. I think they're heading this way, and I like it.

Amen to that bro!! +1
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 379380381 ... 414415416  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic