THE LAST PAGE CONTAINS NOVELS, SHORT STORIES AND EPICS. ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

😂
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2014-09-19 16:49
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2014-09-19 06:44:07, Tsepz_GP wrote:
The QHD argument reminds me of the 3.5mm headphone jack saga, when SE used their proprietary port, while the rest went 3.5. SE fans claimed to be happy with SE's port and didn't need a 3.5mm jack, of course when SE finally started using the jack the same fans praised them, not a single complaint, same with GPS in a phone, WiFi b/g/n etc...they claimed they didn't need them, when SE put them in they praised them, watch the same happen with a QHD display.

Exactly.SONY is slow to repond to evolution..once they respond they make great devices but by then they are left behind

On 2014-09-19 07:39:33, supercoolman wrote:
sounds like apple to me.

Yes..and APPLE can afford to do that..even SAMSUNG can,they have an epic fan base..SONY doesn't. The same old story..the top kid in the class can get away with few wrong doings but the back benchers cant.

On 2014-09-19 12:47:10, badassmam wrote:
I think Sony is one step away from greatness.

Yep,they have great stuffs just need to polish few things here and there.
[ This Message was edited by: Ranjith on 2014-09-19 15:54 ]
I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2014-09-19 18:40

On 2014-09-19 07:16:47, amirprog wrote:
Being against qhd is being against natural evolution. its like denying human evolution.
maybe its not good with 801 and current android, etc. but you can't exclude it forever. with that, lack of qhd is not why sony don't sell as much as they could but lack of availability, marketing, non existence inside us carriers, not competitive low-mid range devices...

@Tsepz_GP
that proprietary SE connector was crap from the get go. i was complaining in SE forums about it a lot when i had my w800i back in 2005 i think. it took SE i think 4 years to realize that its crap. still a great device though.
[ This Message was edited by: amirprog on 2014-09-19 06:18 ]

O rly? So please tell me, what's the resolution of Your PC or laptop, or computer that you work on? If 5-6" phones should get 2560x1440 resolution, then for 17" laptop it should be around 5000x2500 no? Then enlighten me why it's typical for laptops or PC to work on 1080p? Even 50" TVs have 1080p, then tell my why on earth would you want QHD display on tiny phone? It's against any logic. What's more, when you visit websites it's very typical that they show only low resolution images, you know how crappy it looks on QHD?
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2014-09-19 19:21
TV's have started to adopt 4k. Also what has been said in the last 2-3 pages is that even if a certain tech is not the most useful one now,you need to go along with it because that will help you sell the product.SONY just posted another yearly loss,if they are going to ignore QHD and similar new techs they might as well just quit.
I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
amirprog
W800
PM
Posted: 2014-09-19 19:50
@admad
You have your logic, i have mine. subtle changes are also changes. the same thing was with 720p, etc. why hd, blah blah. same thing, different story. history is repeated more then one time here. also, technology advancements are usually done in small steps, if you don't walk these steps and do what is in then you are out of the game. bottom line: if sony don't adopt qhd with z4 then they should stop making high end devices. i actually understand their decision not to put qhd in z3 because it should work better with s810, android L and supposedly with even more advancements in battery life.
@Ranjith
+1
unknownC151A
Sony Xperia V
PM
Posted: 2014-09-20 02:30
The problem with Sony is clearly with its lower tier phones and NOT with its Z series. Saw some disgusting posts mentioning that not putting QHD will see Sony market drop further.
Lol total nonsense.
Firstly, Sony didn't really make a "loss". It's a goodwill charge because Sony overestimated its potential of SMC. Of course a goodwill charge have to be recorded in the P&L, hence the gigantic loss.
Secondly, the problem with it's lower tier phone is its price. You get a Xiaomi for cheaper with better specifications or a Xperia, more expensive with lower specs. Quite common scene. And cut down the amount of lower tier released. E1, E3, M2, T3?!? Is Sony mad. During 2013, there's only one phone that represented Sony mid range - Xperia SP. Now with millions..
Sony needs to change more, other than cosmetically. Look at the Z1, the 20.7 MP camera created such an excitement that the previous rumour thread reached 1000+ pages. We ain't close this year. But again, their upper range models seems to be doing fine.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2014-09-20 02:39
I think the problem with the lower tier phones is that will all Sony devices they are R&D heavy products, which cost more to develop. Because of this they will always be undercut on price.
DexterMoser
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2014-09-20 10:22

On 2014-09-19 14:42:38, itsjustJOH wrote:
CAUTION:

Not only the last page...
Galaxy S4 (S600)
Looking forward to the Sony Xperia Z4 (or 5)
Feynman about Beauty
supercoolman
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-09-20 20:04

On 2014-09-19 14:42:38, itsjustJOH wrote:
CAUTION:

a few episodes of drama without that scifi effect.
aussiefella
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
PM
Posted: 2014-09-21 03:14
The problem is the experience of using an xperia. they have great specs and looks, fantastic battery life now but its still only close to vanilla android experience... to most people thats boring.
The majority (99%) of people buying a phone desire an easy but delightful experience, so as long as its not lagging like crazy its fine. Since the sd800 lag seams non existent, on sony phones at least (used the G3 yesterday and lagged like its 2011).

Most people who just want to live their life and not be consumed by freakin specs dont even consider half the things us fans do so for sales sony really needs to improve on the software side.
In my opinion a home screen that features a pane with the same style as the whats new app would be perfect. Not sure what content it should have, maybe customisable. Also gesture based things from anywhere in the ui, from any app etc. Also if the notification/settings toggles could be swiped down and stay at quarter of the way down the screen whilst using other apps etc would be useful.
Usefulness and beauty of the user interface is what will draw people (samsung have the usefulness but not the beauty, apple to an extent has both).

My other point is sony designs are very corporate and business orientated, which is fine, but there are heaps of mums and teenagers etc. that can't identify so much with that design. Which is why the sp and also samsung phones was/are popular.

Using the G3 yesterday strengthened the case in my mind about how QHD isn't usefull. Also the side bezels weren't that small compared to the z2, just top and bottom. It really lagged badly and I couldn't tell any difference in the store between it's and others screen.

Sony should push marketing about usefulness and how pushing specs is a waste, the average user (at least here in Australia) will identify with this more than some crappy technical jargon. It works for apple, not just because they're a massive company (remember most manufacturers were around a long time before them, but they carved out a market with these skills) but because people genuinely enjoy the experience...

which is, I'm guessing, the whole point of calling sony smartphones - xperia!

thanks
hope I'm making sense.
u2jewel
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2014-09-21 04:59
@Aussiefella
You make sense.
As a few have already pointed out though, it really comes down to marketing...
No matter how perfect the xperia experience may be (pretend it is perfect, and that there are no gripes with image processing or the bigger than others bezels etc..) xperia still won't outsell Samsung or Apple because it really comes down to the masses being influenced by perception through marketing.

Some of the public won't know by themselves what a good phone is. It is taught to them by marketing. Even what's wrong with a phone is likely brainwashed by negative campaigning.

And after all, our love to Sony is also a preferential one...
Along with lack of marketing, price is probably the other factor inhibiting xperia success...
[ This Message was edited by: u2jewel on 2014-09-21 05:07 ]
aussiefella
Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
PM
Posted: 2014-09-21 08:13
Yeah definitely agree with marketing and pricing. Sony seams to be pretty expensive in the android realm, unless you buy from overseas asian "grey stock".
In aus I've only seen a handful of adds. Even in the world cup you wouldn't have known at all that the z2 was the official phone, most likely wouldn't realise that sony even sponsor it. there was only a few sony banners in the stadiums and maybe the official sponsor thing at the end of the televised program.
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2014-09-21 14:10
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM Posted: 2011-10-07 18:37
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post I don't think he was making this a race issue, jpcalson. He was merely pointing out each company's influences in design.

@randomuser

No, not all SE phones were designed by Sony, in fact, I'd wager that most were designed by Ericsson.

@all

If anybody remembers, I wrote this in the 2011 Portfolio, I decided not to buy the arc because I wrote that I didn't think SE was going to pull through and was waiting for their next three financial results before buying from them.

That seemed like a prediction of some sorts, like my prediction that SE was going to make a loss in Q1 of this year only for them to make that loss in the second quarter. My 'predictions' seem to be spot on but not completely direct.

In a few years' time I guess my other 'prediction' that Sony will fail in the cellphone market will come true.

Hmmm... I think it's time to invest in technological stocks since I seem to be able to 'see' the future
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009

I thought I'd chime in here, haven't been around here for a while. The above quote was made by yours truly back in 2011 and it is coming true. I knew Sony were not capable of running this business and they are proving it to be true.

They screwed SE and now they don't know how to continue without Ericsson. Sad really.

It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
miromiromi
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-09-21 14:17
^you'd be good with investments if you see future successes, not failures. i wonder how you're going to make money by foreseeing failures unless you are someone who makes long-term money with M&A's.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 360361362 ... 414415416  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic