Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Need that carrier support in the US
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2014-09-18 08:20

On 2014-09-17 12:09:00, Tsepz_GP wrote:
Focussing on high end will be difficult for them when you have Apple and Samsung pretty much owning that segment.

What I see is that HTC is doing very well with their One series... in our region it's much more successful than any Xperia device.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2014-09-18 09:49
They have always done pretty well in Western Europe but this year it seems like the Z3 will be hitting some US carriers. Some heavy promotion will help it gain a foothold. The PS4 Remote Play feature is pretty strong in this respect.
pt020
W800
PM
Posted: 2014-09-18 10:55
Sony makes too many handsets,costs too much and brings too little.
If I had what to say there I would make 3 phones small,medium,large.
From each of the three I would make 2 versions: basic and high end.
introduction of one of the 3 every 4 month will make a cycle of new phone every year.
JohnnyNr.5
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-09-18 11:43
Important for the success of Sony in the mobile sector is the value of brand recognition/association. If you asked people what they associate with the name "Nokia" you often heard answers like great camera, beautiful design, multimedia device, top notch build quality. There are millions of people out there (me too) who wished Nokia to go with Android and deliver some exciting smartphones like in their glory days. But sadly it never happened. I see Sony in the position to succeed Nokia in terms of design, build quality and most important imaging ("Cybershot"). But they must deliver products with outstanding attributes branding the consumers mind. To do that you also need a great marketing department, which is able to advertise the benefits of their products without the need to troll others ("better than bigger").
[ This Message was edited by: JohnnyNr.5 on 2014-09-18 10:45 ]
-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-09-18 11:49
They need to sell enough high end phones to cover the R&D costs and turn a profit.

They need high-margin flagships more than they need low-margin mid-rangers and low-enders. The latter two help with mindshare to an extent, but unfortunately for Sony, its costing them too much money.

Focus on the sector of the market where they can make the most profit.

It doesn't matter if they don't sell 50 million devices like Apple, as long as they make a profit on however many units they DO sell. If they sell 10 Million $600 dollar smartphones, and each one has costs $200-300 to make, then they've made $300-400 profit on each smartphone sold, which is $3 Billion, not including R&D costs.

Of course its not as simple as that, but that is the general idea.

Make deals with Carriers in the US, so they can have their phones on subsidised contracts to generate even more awareness. Sony's flagship smartphones are really very good. Battery life being one of the things they are most well-known for these days. I mean look at the Z3c. That thing would last a light user DAYS. If people knew about it, by seeing other people owning them and not needing to use the charger so often, they may well look beyond the iPhone and Galaxies and buy a Sony smartphone.

I really hope that's what Kaz plans on doing, now that he's taking the mobile business into his own hands. Cut the fat. Get rid of all the devices that cannot generate profit, and focus on the stuff that makes you money. Get rid of all R&D assets that are not contributing to the flagships and reduce manufacturing costs to maximise profits.

Sony's stock was just building up nicely, increasing upwards of $20 a share, but after the news on Tuesday its been in freefall, dropping down to $18.88, and maybe even further today.
[ This Message was edited by: -XYZ on 2014-09-18 10:51 ]
Ebato
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2014-09-18 13:27
and 0.1% out of it is my xperia Z

On 2014-09-17 23:27:59, ascariss wrote:

On 2014-09-17 22:05:17, FMW300 wrote:
Saw this on twitter @fjeronimo:
Sony smartphone market shares in 2Q14: WW (3.1%), Western Europe (11.8%), USA (0,2%), Japan (14.8%). 2nd biggest player in Japan & 3rd in WE

wow, that 0.2% market share.
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2014-09-18 15:04
I feel the advertising budget in Europe is much higher or at least Sony has a better reputation and penetration. I see quite a few ads for Sony here, the Z1 was limited, but the Z2 had quite a good saturation I feel ad wise. Not sure about Z3, haven't really seen anything but I feel it will be as much as the Z2.
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2014-09-18 17:17

On 2014-09-18 00:24:46, -XYZ wrote:
Need that carrier support in the US

Official carrier support does nothing.. its all about the sales people at the stores who push the phones, and they push Galaxys and iPhones.. Microsoft has been dealing with this for years.
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2014-09-18 17:28
SONY is still in the game..few changes to their system and they can succeed but if they continue with things like poor network support,no AD campaigns & being slow in implementing new features then they are digging their own grave.The Z2 was awesome so was the Z1C,it ticked all the right boxes..camera SW had some issues but thats about it but they kinda messed up with Z3..they definitely should have had QHD screens & with right promotions that could have sold well.Now the whole android world will be telling"man Note 4 had QHD!buy that!" ..Sony needs to implement hot features to gain attention.They have a really good set of phones now..just need that extra zip.Current devices are great for SONY users and most sensible users but SONY needs to tap the market of other fan bases.
I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2014-09-18 18:50
QHD is for dumb people, you gain nothing, and you loose battery life and performance, great deal...

I really hope that Z4 will have 1080p display, they could put those thin xenon flashes that were supposed to be available on the 2014. Now that would be hot feature, not some lame resolution.
Felimenta97
Sony Xperia S
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-09-18 18:56
I agree that QHD is silly. I also don't see the need for it. However, they need to sell devices, and numbers sell. But they need to also advertise those numbers so they are effective.
I don't get people. Never Have, never will.
king-james
Sony Xperia Z Ultra
PM
Posted: 2014-09-18 19:13
^
Samsung make it possible to have an QHD Screen with same battery and even slighty better batterylife than the predecessor! So there Samsung shows how it works!

To be honest, I think all Z2 users are angry about Sonys decision with the Z3... It's just a shame to show same device in other "cover". Wouldn't you all see a 5,5" QHD Display and the new Snapdragon S805 and a f***in real good cam in the Z3???!!! That is what I call an Upgrade!

Z3 for nothing. Z3C is okay. There I see it makes sense. But Z3, come on, for what the hell please??? It was more than time for Z3 Ultra!!!!!!!

SONY WAKE UP OR IS IT ALREADY TOO LATE?!

AGAIN NO COMPETITION TO THE NOTE 4 AND STILL S5 BETTER THAN Z3/Z2....

AND NO I AM NOT A SAMSUNG FANBOY, I AM FU***N CRAZY SONY FAN!!!!! I BUY ALL NEW DEVICES AND GET DISAPPOINTED...

I WISH I COULD LEAVE SONY BUT I CANT. MY HEART BLEEDS EVERYTIME. I'M INFECTED AND THERE IS NO MEDICINE FOR IT.
[ This Message was edited by: king-james on 2014-09-18 18:29 ]
like.no.other
Wintermute
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-09-18 19:55
I agree that QHD is a waste on 5 or 5.2" devices, but it is NOT silly on a 6+" device. The Xperia Z Ultra, for instance, has a great display, but 1080p at that size is noticeably less sharp than 1080p at 5." The Z3 Tablet Compact should have been 1600p.
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2014-09-18 20:51

On 2014-09-18 19:13:10, king-james wrote:
^
Samsung make it possible to have an QHD Screen with same battery and even slighty better batterylife than the predecessor! So there Samsung shows how it works!

To be honest, I think all Z2 users are angry about Sonys decision with the Z3... It's just a shame to show same device in other "cover". Wouldn't you all see a 5,5" QHD Display and the new Snapdragon S805 and a f***in real good cam in the Z3???!!! That is what I call an Upgrade!

Z3 for nothing. Z3C is okay. There I see it makes sense. But Z3, come on, for what the hell please??? It was more than time for Z3 Ultra!!!!!!!

SONY WAKE UP OR IS IT ALREADY TOO LATE?!

AGAIN NO COMPETITION TO THE NOTE 4 AND STILL S5 BETTER THAN Z3/Z2....

AND NO I AM NOT A SAMSUNG FANBOY, I AM FU***N CRAZY SONY FAN!!!!! I BUY ALL NEW DEVICES AND GET DISAPPOINTED...

I WISH I COULD LEAVE SONY BUT I CANT. MY HEART BLEEDS EVERYTIME. I'M INFECTED AND THERE IS NO MEDICINE FOR IT.
[ This Message was edited by: king-james on 2014-09-18 18:29 ]

How is the S5 better than the Z2/Z3, anything with touchwiz is a nightmare. It has very similar specs to the sony devices and only the S5 LTE-A has the 805 but then why spend the extra for a little more speed and faster modem meh, normal LTE is fast enough.

No one needs QHD on a 5.2 in screen, S805 is not much of an upgrade vs the 801, sure the GPU is better, but then it needs to be in the note4 to push so many pixels around. 805 has no built in modem so needs a separate one, meaning, higher battery drain. The only reason samsung is able to increase power and have good battery life is their new CPU (5433), is using ARM A57 and A53 at 20nm, vs the older 801/805 which is 28nm and based off A15. So opting for the 805 would not have changed anything and would not have brought anything revolutionary to the Z3. Sad thing is the exynos 5433 while at 20nm and using the new cores is still 32bit, yet using the new cores, who knows why this was the choice but whatever.

Once android L rolls in and 64bit, this is when things should get interesting. MWC will probably be about the 810 and exynos 7 (successor to current exynos, using 64bit). With 64bit, new gpu and 20nm, the 810 should be a beast.

This brings up another problem, everyone will want to jump onto the 810 bandwagon, LG, HTC, Sony, err maybe even samsung since, so the only way to differentiate will be on other things, like software gimmicks, design and other features like camera, waterproofing etc. Hopefully Sony brings their best game to the Z4, especially camera.

@Wintermute I do agree that above 6 inch QHD would be better, even more so at 8inch, but I tested the tab s, 8 and 10 inchers at samsungs store and damn, sluggish and not as smooth as it should be. Probably a touchwiz problem but still.

I am tempted to get the new Z3, but the fact that android L is soon to be released and the new chips in the new year, I feel I can hold out 6m. If android L is to bring camera improvements, I want to see first what this can do for my Z1, be it from Sony's software or 3rd party from the play store.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 358359360 ... 414415416  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic