Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Accessories > Sony QX-10 and QX-100 lens style cameras discussion

123  Next
Author Sony QX-10 and QX-100 lens style cameras discussion
xell
W880 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-06 23:43
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
As there's none yet I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QruiPLWkOqQ

New Sony QX100 and QX10 “Lens-Style Cameras” Redefine the Mobile Photography Experience

New Concept Cameras Link Flawlessly to Smartphone, Offering High-Zoom, Stunning Quality Images and Full HD Videos for Instant Sharing

Merging the creative power of a premium compact camera with the convenience and connectivity of today’s smartphones, Sony today introduced two “lens-style” QX series cameras that bring new levels of fun and creativity to the mobile photography experience.

The innovative Cyber-shot™ QX100 and QX10 models utilize Wi-Fi® connectivity to instantly transform a connected smartphone into a versatile, powerful photographic tool, allowing it to shoot high-quality images and full HD videos to rival a premium compact camera. It’s an entirely new and different way for consumers to capture and share memories with friends and family.

With a distinct lens-style shape, the new cameras utilize the latest version of Sony’s PlayMemories™ Mobile application (available for iOS™ and Android™ devices, version 3.1 or higher required) to connect wirelessly to a smartphone, converting the bright, large LCD screen of the phone into a real-time viewfinder with the ability to release the shutter, start/stop movie recordings, and adjust common photographic settings like shooting mode, zoom, Auto Focus area and more.

For added convenience, the app can be activated using NFC one-touch with compatible devices. Once pictures are taken, they are saved directly on both the phone and the camera*, and can be shared instantly via social media or other common mobile applications.

“With the new QX100 and QX10 cameras, we are making it easier for the ever-growing population of ‘mobile photographers’ to capture far superior, higher-quality content without sacrificing the convenience and accessibility of their existing mobile network or the familiar ‘phone-style’ shooting experience that they’ve grown accustomed to,” said Patrick Huang, director of the Cyber-shot business at Sony. “We feel that these new products represent not only an evolution for the digital camera business, but a revolution in terms of redefining how cameras and smartphones can cooperatively flourish in today’s market.”

The new compact, ultra-portable cameras can be attached to a connected phone with a supplied mechanically adjustable adapter, or can be held separately in hand or even mounted to a tripod while still maintaining all functionality and connectivity with the smartphone. They can also be operated as completely independent cameras if desired, as both the QX100 and QX10 cameras have a shutter release, memory card slot and come with a rechargeable battery.

Premium, Large-Sensor QX100 Camera

The Cyber-shot QX100 camera features a premium, high-quality 1.0 inch, 20.2 MP Exmor R™ CMOS sensor. Identical to the sensor found in the acclaimed Cyber-shot RX100 II camera, it allows for exceptionally detailed, ultra-low noise images in all types of lighting conditions, including dimly lit indoor and night scenes.

The sensor is paired with a fast, wide-aperture Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens with 3.6x optical zoom and a powerful BIONZ image processor, ensuring beautifully natural, detail-packed still images and Full HD videos. As an extra refinement, the QX100 sports a dedicated control ring for camera-like adjustment of manual focus and zoom.

Several different shooting modes can be selected while using the QX100 including Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Intelligent Auto and Superior Auto, which automatically recognizes 44 different shooting conditions and adjusts camera settings to suit.

High-Zoom Cyber-shot QX10 model

Boasting a powerful 18.2 effective megapixel Exmor R™ CMOS sensor and versatile 10x optical zoom Sony G Lens, the Cyber-shot QX10 camera allows mobile photographers to bring distant subjects closer without sacrificing image quality or resolution, a common problem in smartphones. It’s also extremely portable and lightweight – weighing less than 4 oz and measuring about 2.5”X2.5”x1.3”, it’s a great tool for travel photography.

Additionally, the camera has built-in Optical SteadyShot to combat camera shake, keeping handheld pictures and videos steady and blur-free. It has Program Auto, Intelligent Auto and Superior Auto modes to choose from, and will be available in two different colors – black and white.

Pricing and Availability

The new Cyber-shot QX100 and QX10 lens-style cameras will available later this month for about $500 and $250, respectively.

[ This Message was edited by: xell on 2013-09-06 22:44 ]
Esato's Expert Of The Year MMIX
Away
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2013-09-07 00:06
This is true innovation. The next big thing in mobile imaging, and I don't just mean mobile phone type mobile, I mean completely portable too.

When's the earliest other companies can rival this go you guys reckon?

A cheap, plastic one at half the quality and twice the price is a given by Samsung, but when?
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2013-09-07 05:37

On 2013-09-07 00:06:47, Away wrote:

When's the earliest other companies can rival this go you guys reckon?

Only Samsung can compete with Sony in this regard, but I think they don't have the tech to compete with the RX, so they might push for APS-C based lens camera with the height of an NX+lens

A cheap, plastic one at half the quality and twice the price is a given by Samsung, but when?

Their cameras aren't as cheap looking as their smartphones in fairness. but I tell you what, the NX cameras are crap in terms of image quality, even the then underdog Pentax is now ahead of them in that regard.

Being a shutterbug and camera afficionado myself, the only drawback I can see with the higher end model QX100 is the lack of manual ISO and shutter speed control. But there's some hope in me that Sony would enable full Manual mode settings when the Playmemories app gets its major update

If there is one particular Mirrorless line that's definitely threatened with the QX100, it would be the Nikon 1-line. I honestly believe QX100 will spell doom at Nikon's pathetic effort on competing with NEX/Fuji-X/Panasonic Gs.
[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2013-09-07 04:41 ]
10 years at Esato
xell
W880 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-07 10:55
Sony gave out the QX-10 at their press event at IFA, so I have one here at the moment. Here are to shots, one in bright day, one in low light. Both with automatic settings, the first one even without a connected phone.

Original

Original
Esato's Expert Of The Year MMIX
Pierke
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2013-09-07 11:06
Are these products patented in any way?
[ This Message was edited by: Pierke on 2013-09-07 10:28 ]
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2013-09-07 11:14
doesn't look like it is

It seems like Sony is inviting competitors to battle it out against their might RX tech would be happier this way as they are observing the way of the samurai
[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2013-09-07 10:16 ]
10 years at Esato
daviep
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2013-09-07 13:11
i cant see any sort of flash on it.wouldnt buy one without a xenon flash,pointless on a good lens like this.
galaxy note8
Pierke
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2013-09-07 13:31
I never use flash (xenon), never liked using it, probably never will. So personally, I don't have problems with the lack of flash...
[ This Message was edited by: Pierke on 2013-09-07 12:36 ]
PowerLee
Nokia Lumia 928
PM
Posted: 2013-09-07 19:21

On 2013-09-07 13:11:46, daviep wrote:
i cant see any sort of flash on it.wouldnt buy one without a xenon flash,pointless on a good lens like this.

Im 100% with you, im in the market for a phone with a decent camera, I had really high hopes for the Z1 with these detachable lens BUT Sony go & ruin it by not fitting a Xenon flash

Ill now wait for the Z1's replacement instead, if that hasn't got a Xenon flash ill just buy a camera instead & it wont be a Sony one.
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-09-07 19:50
Go and buy a decent camera, the chance of xenon flash is minor. Phones are getting to slim to fit a xenon.
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2013-09-07 20:07
^ I think the chance is big. Thanks to this invention. Why make thick phones when they can make thin xenon
http://asia.cnet.com/expect-s[....]ash-units-in-2014-62220514.htm
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-08 05:32
QX100 is out next week here in China. 3500RMB.

I'm trying to resist. I have a Nikon dslr and so don't really need this. I do however need a new practice amp and buying the QX100 will eat my money put to one side for an Orange Tiny Terror.

What I really need is a better paid job I think.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-09-08 10:11
@Ricky Please save up for the TinyTerror.
Much more valve err. Value for your money.
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-11 12:04
@hihihans

Took your advice but went for the Micro Terror instead. Thing thing really rocks for such a small head and cab.

I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 15:40
is it as load as they promised?
Enough for at home, that's for sure.

Keep rocking
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi