Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Sony Xperia Z1

Previous  123 ... 666768 ... 369370371  Next
Author Sony Xperia Z1
-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 20:58
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
What's really annoying, is that Sony continually use exceptional displays on their VAIOs. Every single laptop which has had a 1080 triluminos branded display (even ones that didn't), were exceptional. So why not on their flagship smartphones?
DACHA
Sony Xperia ZL
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 20:59

On 2013-09-11 20:50:29, itsjustJOH wrote:

On 2013-09-11 20:40:59, DACHA wrote:
I have said it over a week ago, Sony is using multiple suppliers for the Z1 display. Some will be outstanding and some will be shitty just like the Xperia Z display lottery.

Before someone mentions Apple does the same thing I will just say the following. Apple holds their display suppliers to a certain quality standard and Sony does not.
[ This Message was edited by: DACHA on 2013-09-11 19:42 ]

And why does Sony not specify a quality standard? This is just unreasonable.

From what I have heard this is the problem. SMC is still using the old supply chain and not the Sony supply chain. I just got the Vaio Pro 13 and it has one of the best display on the market. The Z1 is supposed to have the same quality display but it does not.
On the other hand the ZU display was purchased through the Sony supply chain and the quality is much better. That is why the Sony tablets and phablets have better display.
josephnero
Sony Xperia Z5
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 21:10
On paper, the Xperia Z1 and LG G2′s display’s are fairly similar, but the Xperia Z1 pulls out the trump card with the TRILUMINOS and X-Reality technology.

People lose their mind when they seen a prototype(or maybe worse retail)unit but never care about true triluminos being the best

http://www.androidauthority.c[....]z1-vs-lg-g2-quick-look-266308/
Geoffxx
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 21:12

On 2013-09-11 20:51:04, -XYZ wrote:

On 2013-09-11 20:47:16, Geoffxx wrote:

On 2013-09-11 17:58:33, Tizzo wrote:
New Xperia Z1 vs HTC one screen comparison.
What do you guys think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOhf5aagbDY
[ This Message was edited by: Tizzo on 2013-09-11 16:58 ]

what on earth is that twat trying to show us lol, sorry for being blunt, what a stupid video, he didn't even show the pictures in their natural format which should have been landscape, who on earth looks at a screen at that angle LMAO - well actually I have looked at my TV screen from that angle when I've woken up at 5am lying on the floor but I could only focus with one eye

someone explain to me what was the point of that video - or better still don't bother

The Z1 has really bad colour shift off-angle. The overall contrast ratio, even when looking from front on is LOWER than that of the HTC One (that unit can't be a prototype from IFA either, because a random British man casually has one, probably a review unit (why doesn't the review unit have the good screen?).

do you have a Z1 ? if not then give it a rest until you actually have a production unit in your hand - which is highly unlikely
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-11 21:13
that review has been posted before and while it paints Z1 screen in a positive light, it kills its own credibility with incorrect info

even so, i haven't seen many reviews who have completely trashed the screen except for the verge.

screen comparison HTC One v. Z1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOhf5aagbDY

He prefers the One screen over the Z1, but the Z1 screen is much brighter (which I think is great for reading in direct sun. the brighter the better). Viewing angles aren't as great as the One for sure. Like i said, angles arent important to me. Down to personal preference on that front. If you're willing to give up the camera, waterproofing, etc, etc for 178 degree viewing angles, that's your choice

EDIT: I tried to comment on the video to ask what type of unit he has (review, proto, early retail) and it seems he has blocked me! haha. probably because I corrected him in another video of his. excuse me for thinking a tech reviewer should give accurate information..
[ This Message was edited by: moogoo on 2013-09-11 20:27 ]
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 21:36
@Geoffxx

I was talking about what the video was showing.
And if not a retail unit, what is it? Why would some random British man have a prototype or pre-production Xperia Z1?
Review unit? But then why would Sony ship the unit that press would review and talk about extensively, have a display that is significantly worse than that of the Production unit. That is counter-productive.

@Moogoo.

It is brighter yes, but it has a lower contrast ratio.
[ This Message was edited by: -XYZ on 2013-09-11 20:38 ]
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-11 21:49
@XYZ - looked pretty damn good to me. in the castle pic, the skies looked more natural than the one, in terms of color. his camera didn't seem to pick up details very well if the colors were bright, and being the brighter screen, the Z1 is at a bit of a disadvantage in that respect. In viewing angles, One is definitely better. But I don't think there is a clear winner when it comes to color reproduction and detail/sharpness.

Plus, when he leans the phones to show off the viewing angle.. the One seems to have a magenta tint/hue move across the screen, or is it just me? the Z1 didn't seem to have that issue, but the colors did wash out at those extreme angles.

In any case, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a Z1. Of course, I don't know when that'll be since I'm waiting for C6906.. sigh. I wish there was more info on that..
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
my ninja
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 21:58
@ -XYZ- TriLum is actually QDOT tech, its a back light filter of sorts using quantum dots. Its a small sheet and it allows for more accurate/colored backlighting. Amazing tech really it adds very little cost to the screens and a huge (10-15%) improvement on the color gamut, its a no brainer tech that sony is on the forefront of. im personally proud that its sony implementing the tech too..

with that said, and with the level the hold themselves to with bravia, there should be no room to nickel and dime the screen from the same company. whose CEO proclaims this being THE sony product.

ironically enough the tech he was touting (he == kazuro-san) 4K/HiResAudio and the like didnt make it into the "one" sony device... a giant wtf if ive ever seen one.

also people are effing slow, so we need to remember that most of the ppl at these shows dont possess the knowledge necessary to understand that full brightness does not mean the best results of the screen. it lowers the contrast and washes out colors its not OLED, brightness is ONE component (regarding screen calibration) and too far in either direction will snuff potential from the display.

the phone is still 16GB... microcenter throws 16GB cards away. 64GB SDXC is 40$ id pay 40$ for some eMMC love.. shit its already $900 (:P)
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-11 22:01
@ninja.. indeed. brightness does effect colors and contrast.. good point there. i agree Z1 should have at the very least come with a 32gb variant, even with the SD card slot. where are you looking that it's $900??? the retailers i've seen with that price, i wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. i don't think that's a real price.. at least in the US..
moogoo
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 22:02

On 2013-09-11 20:58:20, -XYZ wrote:
What's really annoying, is that Sony continually use exceptional displays on their VAIOs. Every single laptop which has had a 1080 triluminos branded display (even ones that didn't), were exceptional. So why not on their flagship smartphones?

Continually? I wish this was true but it's not. Some the previous generation vaios had poor screens.

The S13 and S13A had and have poor screens, wait no, horrible screens. I had to continuously adjust the screen to kept optimal viewing angles. I also opted for the 1600x900 screen which was apparently no better than the lower res version. The S15 had a problem with the orange/red colour and was not perfect, check notebookreview, there is a thread there about the problem, aka orangegate. It was only the Z series which had a good screen, but not perfect. The T series ultrabooks also had poor viewing angles and it was a TN panel. The duo 11 was one the first to have a much improved screen, of course it is a IPS panel. SVE models also sported a TN panel and had poor viewing angles. Even the new Fit 15 line with it's full HD is a TN panel and the viewing angles are meh.

I also have an older FW vaio back in the dorms and it was bought in november 2008 and it had a better screen than my S13A from last June.

I seriously hope it was Kaz who initiated the better screen situation at vaio because things were not that great.
McKinley
K750
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 22:31
This argue about display is getting tedious but not less valid in my opinion.
if you are promoting a feature that is suppose to be remarkable, it better be remarkable from the moment you put your phones for public display.

If Sony are getting bad reputation for having phones with various display quality, that's actually a failure in my book.
Nowhere else do you read HTC One using bad in some and exceptional display in some other.
The very high qualty in their display is consistent, and thus we never read anything bad about it.

Although, we have all the quirks floating around, my interest in getting this phone is stronger than never for its potential.
[ This Message was edited by: McKinley on 2013-09-11 23:55 ]
GH688, T28, T39 and T68
Nokia 6110, 8110, 8850, 6230, N82
Moto V525 and RAZR V3
Samsung T100, S300 and E700
T68, T610, Z600, T630, K700, S700, V800, K750, S600, M600, S500, P1i, K850, X1 X10, Vivaz
my ninja
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 23:41
@moogoo ...it was the price from one of the shadier retailers listed quite some pages ago now, for the c6906, a bit of hyperbole at worst. Im sad because i feel as though the device is off by a manageable amount. just a certain set of decisions off for me, as i cant speak for everyone, but..

32GB (just the option.. 64 being too much to ask apparently) they put 96GB in their upmarket handycams (the way the camera is a focus, you would think parity would exist)
Shorter/Thicker (130x71.1x9.8mm (90581mm)) vs Taller/Thinner (144x74x8.5mm (90576mm)) more depth to mount the sensor and lens.
Publicly scrutinized screen fidelity (forward facing hw)
How do they release an Android Walkman with hifi, and miss the Z1, all the while the chipset has proven that it can be done 2/5 instances (Note3/G2 v Z1/S4/ZU)? the NWZ-F886 is really nice.. but im assuming that its got less than an s800 and also runs android (which needs custom libraries to decode anyting over 16/44.1)
1080p@60.. this one seems like the level of processing going on for the camera already may not have been up to the CS groups, expectations of quality.

I guess im just slightly out of tune, but its great to have something like this to discuss
Away
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 23:44
Just a FYI, we did see the HTC One with different quality displays...
Geoffxx
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-12 00:43
I like having an SD card, mine was in my Z - my ZU - and now my Z1 with all my files software videos pictures music backups etc - I just slide it in there and I'm good to go, and paying and extra $200 for 64gb is plain crazy

As for the screen and camera and this is my final comment on the matter - I have seen good and bad on these various early reviews all of which I take with a pinch of salt, I have seen HTC one unable to produce green in many pictures (what's up with that) I've seen jagged edges on stuff if I zoom in, there are about 2x people posting on this thread that actually have any idea about photography and I'm not one of them but I know a good picture from a bad one, also as has been mentioned time and time again about viewing angles - something I have absolutely no interest in as a measure of quality and I'm pretty sure the majority here don't have either - it might make a difference in your living room were you have and audience that are not all sitting on top of each other right in directly in front of the TV - it has absolutely no relevance on a phone, I will wait a few days more to get my Z1 and I will give an honest opinion here as to what I think of it, I have had a XZ and XZU in the last 6 months so I have a good stake in the ground for compare, the XZ screen was OK - the XZU screen was outstanding as many have said in reviews

So I will reserve judgement until I have a Z1 in my hand and so should you all and equally until official trusted review sites get their hands on a full production model to compare

and lastly - 4k video has not been ruled out nor has 1080p 60fps, my god even the camera can take 60 photo's in an instant which quite frankly is amazing, I don't think we have been exposed to this devices full potential yet so lets wait and see
Ambivalent_
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2013-09-12 00:49

On 2013-09-12 00:43:41, Geoffxx wrote:
...I don't think we have been exposed to this devices full potential yet so lets wait and see

Well said. I think some massive improvements are likely to come in the next few months. Camera and SoC certainly have a huge potential and but I would also bet screen and battery improvements.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 666768 ... 369370371  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic