Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Sony Xperia Z1

Previous  123 ... 656667 ... 369370371  Next
Author Sony Xperia Z1
leo90
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 20:09
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I dont get it. why does sony do that? they do it on purpose or what?
they are using Triluminos in Z1. right? so why is it not as good as Z Ultra?
they have done this in the past where Ion, P, V have better screens than Z
and now again, a flagship product and they have left one important aspect flawed.
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 20:09

On 2013-09-11 17:58:33, Tizzo wrote:
New Xperia Z1 vs HTC one screen comparison.
What do you guys think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOhf5aagbDY
[ This Message was edited by: Tizzo on 2013-09-11 16:58 ]

Its so depressing that Sony uses cheap fu*king screens in their flagships and slap a couple of fancy marketing names (that mean absolutely nothing) and gets beaten by HTC who doesnt even market their screens. HTC just buys a more expensive screen from their suppliers (probably the same supplier as Sony use).

I remember I used to defend Xperia Z's screen in forums and in comments on sites but when I compare my Z to my friend's HTC One it's laughable how bad it is.
[ This Message was edited by: motvikt on 2013-09-11 19:10 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 20:15
I have seen the screen on a working model and it was fine
Phone?? What phone??
leo90
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 20:18
I wish Sony could tell us a difference between A class Triluminos and a SHIT class triluminos.
look how amazing is Z Ultra against HTC One. Shame on you SONY.

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_[....]inst_the_htc_one-news-6549.php
[ This Message was edited by: leo90 on 2013-09-11 19:20 ]
-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 20:28
Triluminos is a backlighting technology. Has nothing to do with the screen itself. You just have an RGB active backlight if I'm not wrong, which would increase colour accuracy and potentially increase the colour gamut.

However, if you slap a shitty TN Panel on top of it, its still going to look bad.
Unless this is only a flaw with prototypes (which it looks like it isn't), then poor form on Sony's part. I can understand skimping when it comes to low-end. Even mid-rangers I can understand. But your goddamn flagship? Come on!!!
The display is the most important part, because its the thing that you're looking at.

This whole problem started with the Xperia T, which had a terrible display. Then that carried through to the Xperia Z. Though not quite as bad, its now migrated to the Z1, while the Z Ultra sits there with arguably the best mobile display ever.

Sony needs to sort this shit out!
miromiromi
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 20:29

On 2013-09-11 20:15:15, Bonovox wrote:
I have seen the screen on a working model and it was fine

I don't think fine is enough. They want to compete, right? How are they going to do that with such a poor display? They're even bringing the Triluminos branding that makes their TVs better than others.

They already did well with the Z Ultra. Why are they trying to mess up again?

I think Sony fans should stop overlooking these half-hearted efforts from Sony. To express discontent, we should just not buy that defective flagship. They have to realize they are doing it wrong.

At the least, they should try to say something like these...

"We are using these displays because...
...they consume less power ...they have better sunlight legibility ...they last longer ...they have higher contrast etc etc

They should offer some explanation to convince buyers that it's worth sacrificing the viewing angle and lack of deep blacks.

That comparison with HTC One is really depressing. I was already eyeing the Z1. I have even alloted some of the money I can use to buy it.
[ This Message was edited by: miromiromi on 2013-09-11 19:32 ]
-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 20:33
Hah!
The contrast is noticably worse than that of other flagships, so its not like they can even make that claim. That ain't no VA panel, its TN through and through. Contrast fade off-angle, colour shift off-angle. Can't be anything else. Yeah its not as bad as the Z, but that isn't an achievement.

Rumours of a Sharp IGZO IPS display. Completely busted. Not even in the same ballpark.

EDIT:

Somebody please show me a retail Z1 which has an awesome screen. I need to know if the terrible screens are just from prototypes or something, because I really want to buy this phone. The camera looks like its going to be awesome. The design is amazing, the UI is fast a fluid and looks lovely. Its WATERPROOF, which is HUGE.
But goddamn that screen is terrible, and it really shouldn't be.
[ This Message was edited by: -XYZ on 2013-09-11 19:38 ]
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-11 20:38
It's already been said that Z1 uses a VA LCD panel with Triluminos tech.

It's already been said that protos varied in screen quality for whatever reasons.

It's also known that none of you have seen or held a retail version and are basing all of your comments on various proto reviews out on the internet.

There are good vids, there are bad vids. Just like there are great sample photos and there are also bad ones as well. Z Ultra seemed to have better screens, even in the proto stage, probably because they ordered a specific batch of 6.44 screens for it, whereas Z1 uses a 5" screen, that they probably had plenty of.

Surely, it's not the best move for Sony to put bad screens in protos that are meant tor reviewers or the general public to view. That just taints their name and brandings and creates doubt in the mind of the consumer as to the quality of the final, retail product. But it is what it is, and hopefully they'll learn for next time. I've seen a lot of positive reviews and I'm not one to care for 178 degree viewing angles, so I'm more than confident in what I'll be getting. I hope that those of you who have your doubts and are angry with Sony now, will at the VERY LEAST, try to check out a retail version from a friend or whatever, and make your own judgments with your own eyes. Then, no one can blame you for your opinion

@ieducateyou - according to the tmobile website, both Boston and Cambridge are covered with LTE. How well the signal coverage is, is another story. It will likely improve over time as they upgrade more towers, but there should be some LTE coverage there. if you're a tmobile user, you only need c6903. I was going to go that route cause of the clove deal, but am opting to wait for c6906 since it's more flexible as to which network I can use. and I think you're dreaming on the add-ons for a US retail version. Consider yourself lucky if we get the standard microUSB charger in the box! haha.

@smk - yea philly! i miss my hometown. anyway, glad you are thinking of jumping from big Red. Getting an unlocked device for the first time seems scary, but it's actually much better. no carrier bloatware and EVERY feature meant for the phone is available. Just make sure you get the one that will work the network you're going to go to. As I said, c6906 will support both Tmobile and AT&T, whereas c6903 will only support tmobile (this is as far as LTE goes.. if you only care about GSM/3G, both models work on both networks).
[ This Message was edited by: moogoo on 2013-09-11 19:44 ]
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
DACHA
Sony Xperia ZL
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 20:40
I have said it over a week ago, Sony is using multiple suppliers for the Z1 display. Some will be outstanding and some will be shitty just like the Xperia Z display lottery.

Before someone mentions Apple does the same thing I will just say the following. Apple holds their display suppliers to a certain quality standard and Sony does not.
[ This Message was edited by: DACHA on 2013-09-11 19:42 ]
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-11 20:46
if i could the japanese model and use it on both AT&T/Tmobile LTE, i would! for some reason, japanese models always have superior screens to the global model.
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 20:46

On 2013-09-11 20:38:34, moogoo wrote:
It's already been said that Z1 uses a VA LCD panel with Triluminos tech.

Words mean nothing. I need proof. So far, there is no indication of the Z1 using a VA panel. Though VA don't have 178 degree viewing angles, they only really have a brightness loss. The contrast loss and colour shift makes it look like its TN.

In many comparisons the contrast ratio from front on doesn't stack up. Isn't a VA panel supposed to have really high contrast ratios? Something like 2000:1? Maybe its hitting 800-1000:1. but its still no match for the 1500:1 of the HTC One or G2.

It's already been said that protos varied in screen quality for whatever reasons.

Yeah, so? The units people are walking around with probably aren't prototypes though. They're probably review units. First impressions are the most important ones. If reviewers say that their unit had a poor screen, then it doesn't matter what the retail version is, because a precedent has been set.

It's also known that none of you have seen or held a retail version and are basing all of your comments on various proto reviews out on the internet.

There are good vids, there are bad vids. Just like there are great sample photos and there are also bad ones as well. Z Ultra seemed to have better screens, even in the proto stage, probably because they ordered a specific batch of 6.44 screens for it, whereas Z1 uses a 5" screen, that they probably had plenty of.

Surely, it's not the best move for Sony to put bad screens in protos that are meant tor reviewers or the general public to view. That just taints their name and brandings and creates doubt in the mind of the consumer as to the quality of the final, retail product. But it is what it is, and hopefully they'll learn for next time. I've seen a lot of positive reviews and I'm not one to care for 178 degree viewing angles, so I'm more than confident in what I'll be getting. I hope that those of you who have your doubts and are angry with Sony now, will at the VERY LEAST, try to check out a retail version from a friend or whatever, and make your own judgments with your own eyes. Then, no one can blame you for your opinion

Believe me I want to go out and find a Z1, to check what the screen is like, cause for everything else, its pretty damn amazing. Screen will make or break this phone. Not just for me, but for a whole lot of people.
The Z sold, because it was out first. Firs 1080p device in Europe, so people ran to it in hordes. Not so any more. Now you've got the G2, Note III, iPhone 5s and 5c and One Max, all of which look like they're packing better displays.
I just hope that of all things the display units have great screens, cause if they don't then....well, people will buy phones that do have great screens.

@ DACHA

Exactly. Why would they not make sure that every single phone that ships to anyone; press, reviewers....whoever....gets the best possible display. Completely stupid. And for goodness sake, why not take a batch with the absolute best displays to IFA, where people get their first impressions of the thing.
[ This Message was edited by: -XYZ on 2013-09-11 19:48 ]
Geoffxx
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 20:47

What do you guys think?

what on earth is that twat trying to show us lol, sorry for being blunt, what a stupid video, he didn't even show the pictures in their natural format which should have been landscape, who on earth looks at a screen at that angle LMAO - well actually I have looked at my TV screen from that angle when I've woken up at 5am lying on the floor but I could only focus with one eye

someone explain to me what was the point of that video - or better still don't bother
itsjustJOH
Sony Xperia L
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 20:50

On 2013-09-11 20:40:59, DACHA wrote:
I have said it over a week ago, Sony is using multiple suppliers for the Z1 display. Some will be outstanding and some will be shitty just like the Xperia Z display lottery.

Before someone mentions Apple does the same thing I will just say the following. Apple holds their display suppliers to a certain quality standard and Sony does not.
[ This Message was edited by: DACHA on 2013-09-11 19:42 ]

And why does Sony not specify a quality standard? This is just unreasonable.
-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 20:51

On 2013-09-11 20:47:16, Geoffxx wrote:

What do you guys think?

what on earth is that twat trying to show us lol, sorry for being blunt, what a stupid video, he didn't even show the pictures in their natural format which should have been landscape, who on earth looks at a screen at that angle LMAO - well actually I have looked at my TV screen from that angle when I've woken up at 5am lying on the floor but I could only focus with one eye

someone explain to me what was the point of that video - or better still don't bother

The Z1 has really bad colour shift off-angle. The overall contrast ratio, even when looking from front on is LOWER than that of the HTC One (that unit can't be a prototype from IFA either, because a random British man casually has one, probably a review unit (why doesn't the review unit have the good screen?).
miromiromi
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-11 20:54
i hope it's not just wishful thinking when we say the devices we're seeing now are just prototypes.

we've said the same about xz before. look at how the retail units turned out. i'm really afraid sony will do the same this time. what you see at IFA is what you get when you buy the retail unit. same with what you saw in CES for the xz.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 656667 ... 369370371  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic