Wrong link name
its Z1 vs S4 not note 3
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 19:33
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2013-10-01 19:01:04, XperiaJunkie wrote:
^ my bad sorry, may have to try again if I get the chance.

no need to be sorry mate, just saying Thank you again for the effort.. I know how annoying it can be to shoot the same scene with two different phones.

Good job!
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-10-01 20:41
This is my first ever review. I have been completely honest in my wording and it would be great if you guys could give me feedback either positive or negative. Enjoy (I hope)

My review of the Sony Xperia Z1

BY XPERIAJUNKIE

Build quality and feel.
On first glance the Sony Xperia Z1 looks like a slightly different Xperia Z but once you put it in your hand you notice that this is more than just a re-make of a classic. The build quality of the Z was superb and the Z1 looks even better again with an aluminum frame and two slabs of DragonTrail glass and not a hint of cheap plastic anywhere you instantly know this is a premium smartphone. Although the Z1 is slightly larger than its older brother, because of the rounded edges it feels better to hold in the hand there is probably only two phones that match the build quality of the Sony Xperia Z1 and thats the iPhone 5 and HTC One.

The Screen
Once Again we have a 5" full HD display on a flagship smartphone, this becoming the norm. So how have Sony differentiated them selves from Samsung, HTC and LG to name a few, well let's just say at 441 ppi text is as crisp as a cold winters morning, colours are are close to the real thing I have seen on a smartphone and viewing angles (which once was a downside to Sony screens) are as good as the rest of the competition. Sony now use its latest TV tech from it Bravia range including Triluminos display which handles all the colours by using quantum dot technology and Sony's X-Reality engine for mobile in short it's a flagship TV screen you can put in your pocket it is simply superb and a joy to browse, watch and play on that glorious screen. Bravo Sony, bravo.

Camera and Video
Sony are known to have one of the best camera ranges from compact digitals to full D.SLR's. However Sony have had harder time with their cameras in the Xperia range for example the Xperia Z suffered from over processin high-level levels of noise for their stills and video quality at 1080p just wasn't up there with the likes of Apple and Samsung. Rejoice Sony has hit the nail on the head with the Z1 yes 20.7 MP is a bit excessive but this phone is crammed to the rafters with the stuff you will find in Sony's digital camera range such as a G lens and the Bionz image processing chip in layman's terms this camera is easily the best Android camera phone on the market infact it will even run with the Nokia Lumia 1020 providing you don't need to use the flash. Video quality is 1080p @ 30fps yes the Samsung note 3 has 4K video capture and the LG G2 does 1080p @60fps the Z1 is buttery smooth with no missed frames, colours are accurate and the sound is good too. All in all The Z1 has the best all round camera/video capabilities on Android at the moment.Click the link below to view camera samples.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[....]N06/9984408866/in/photostream/

Sound Quality
The Xperia Z1 has a multitude of Sony tech in the audio department the most recognizable is the Walkman brand couple this with clear audio + and a 5 channel equaliser it allows for top quality audio experience through a pair of headphones at least. Audio from the loudspeaker however is not that great if I'm honest, yes it's louder than the Z but not by much and the X Loud enhancement does help a bit but it still isn't the best out there this could be down to the waterproofing though and for the sake of a few missed text messages I would much rather have a waterproof phone. The Z1 delivers a great audio experience but would you expect anything else from one of the leading audio experts even if the loudspeaker isn't as good as I would of liked.

User Interface
Sony have taken a different approach to their UI when compared Samsung and HTC. Whereas Samsung's Touchwiz is very cluttered and personally ugly and HTC have their Blinkfeed overlay in which I am a fan of. Sony have taken a minimalistic view to Android. It is very clean, lag free, easy to use it is probably the closest to vanilla Android you will get outside of a Nexus device. There are reminders that this is a Sony like Walkman, Video and music unlimited and Track ID. I like Sony's approach to this and best of all being Android if you don't just install a custom launcher but I'm pretty sure you will enjoy Sony's own.

Battery Life
The Sony Xperia Z1 comes complete with a non removable 3000 mah battery which when you consider the Z came with a 2330 mah battery the Z1 has a more powerful processor and the extra bump is probably needed for that you would think. Battery life on previous Xperia devices have been subject as of late but the Z1 is different it is better than I was expecting for example I would consider my usage medium to heavy and I would get through a working day sending text and e-mails, making calls browsing the net and listing to music I would still have around 35 to 45% battery life left, stamina mode is a very useful tool too which shuts down selected applications from running in the background thus saving my battery from draining that little bit more. It looks like Sony have given their smartphone the battery it deserves.

Overall Impressions
I have to say there isn't a more polished Android device out there, HTC have a fantastic screen, superb audio and build quality but the camera is its biggest flaw. Samsung have the brand power and a very good screen even if the colours are very over saturated and cheap plastic just doesn't belong on a flagship smartphone. This is were Sony play their trump card as it is the only Android smartphone that is very good if not superb in all of these fields. Apple with their dated iPhone and Nokia with boring Windows platform just don't have a package that is more complete that the Sony Xperia Z1. It is a smartphone that oozes class all wrapped up in a waterproof shell.

I will give the Sony Z1 9.5/10 if the loudspeaker was that little bit louder it would be a perfect 10.
[ This Message was edited by: XperiaJunkie on 2013-10-01 20:29 ]
I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-10-01 21:06
Very nice XperiaJunkie. It's clear that you love the Z1 and that's fantastic! (I don't blame you).

I think that's a testament to Sony.. even with the flaws that it does have.. everyone who has gotten a Z1 simply loves it. That's how fanboys are made!
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-10-01 21:09
@Moogoo Thanks very much glad you liked it. Hope to do more reviews of futre Sony devices.
I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-10-01 21:11
^ you and me both. I'll be posting my review on my website in the next week or so. possibly a video too. we'll see.
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
nzrocketman
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 22:10
Ok so the Xperia Z1 has been released in New Zealand Now for $999.00 NZD.

Now I have to make the big decision. I might go to the store at lunch to have a play. Yet in New Zealand the display models don't get turned on and your not allowed to play before you buy.

I love the look of the phone think its the best looking phone out.

what to do, what to do, what to do
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-10-01 22:11
as long as you at least have a return policy - GIVE IT A GO!
moogoo
MNX1024
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-10-01 22:25
MY Z1 is shipped out today, back to Clove. Finally decided on asking for an exchange instead of a refund, after thinking long and hard since the weekend started. Hopefully they will receive it sometimes tomorrow or Thursday. So they may ship out my replacement and I get it within this week . Really missing my Z1 already.

@nzrocketman That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. What's the point of having a display model and you can't play with it, unless it's a dummy?!?!?! Yeah, like Moogoo said, check the return policy. If you like it, buy it then play with it. Decide from there. You will love the phone!
[ This Message was edited by: MNX1024 on 2013-10-01 21:40 ]
nzrocketman
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-10-02 00:13

On 2013-10-01 22:25:14, MNX1024 wrote:
@nzrocketman That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. What's the point of having a display model and you can't play with it, unless it's a dummy?!?!?! Yeah, like Moogoo said, check the return policy. If you like it, buy it then play with it. Decide from there. You will love the phone!
[ This Message was edited by: MNX1024 on 2013-10-01 21:40 ]

Here is the return policy its a 7 day return policy "If your purchase is a handset, you must not have used more than 10 minutes of airtime or sent and received more than 10MB of data"
Geoffxx
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-10-02 01:18

On 2013-10-01 16:22:20, dalmac wrote:

On 2013-10-01 15:48:49, ZappyDen wrote:
Xperia Z1 vs Lumia 1020 {Clear Zoom vs Lumia 1020 lossless zoom samples}

http://allaboutwindowsphone.c[....]as_PureView_copied_Lumia_1.php

Now after this comparison i just Dream What if SONY could use 1/1.5 inch sensor on Z1, what would happen to Lumia 1020 ??
[ This Message was edited by: ZappyDen on 2013-10-01 14:58 ]

Steve Litchfield knows his stuff. For my money, the 1020 is better in all but one photo (the yellow flower one). That said, the 1020 is very, very hard to compete against - it's an absolute beast of a camera phone.

a camera .......................................................................................phone.
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-10-02 02:24
comments by zomg on NeoGAF. The first part is pertaining to the big camera update and his original statement that it'd come out a month after release. The last part is about the panel lotto:

"Will be longer than a month. Lots of internal wrangling between Japan and Sweden about producing a phone with a camera that would outshine pretty much all of Sony's cheaper digital compacts.

There will always be Sharp displays, but the lesser of the two will be exhausted from the supply chain around now and out of the retail channel by the end of this month."

Makes me wonder just how much better the camera can possibly get with the proper camera software. Also I suppose it makes me feel okay to hold off on getting my Z1 until November so that I can more than likely get a better display and the software updates will likely all be out by then.
Gitaroo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-10-02 02:29

On 2013-10-02 02:24:59, vivftp wrote:
comments by zomg on NeoGAF. The first part is pertaining to the big camera update and his original statement that it'd come out a month after release. The last part is about the panel lotto:

"Will be longer than a month. Lots of internal wrangling between Japan and Sweden about producing a phone with a camera that would outshine pretty much all of Sony's cheaper digital compacts.

There will always be Sharp displays, but the lesser of the two will be exhausted from the supply chain around now and out of the retail channel by the end of this month."

Makes me wonder just how much better the camera can possibly get with the proper camera software. Also I suppose it makes me feel okay to hold off on getting my Z1 until November so that I can more than likely get a better display and the software updates will likely all be out by then.

And probably cheaper by then
vikeviki
K810 Blue
PM
Posted: 2013-10-02 03:10
@vivftp,
Will it really outshine its own cybershot cameras,amazing.Screen lottery is making me to wait,hope it comes with android 4.3,if not year end 4.4 better they go with z1 kitkat
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 195196197 ... 369370371  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic