Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Sony Xperia Z1

Previous  123 ... 141516 ... 369370371  Next
Author Sony Xperia Z1
northmonkey
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-09-05 17:36
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I don't know why everyone cares about viewing angles, I don't, it's better that people can't see your screen at an angle, as long as it's good head on I don't see what the problem is really.
Ambivalent_
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2013-09-05 17:37

On 2013-09-05 17:36:05, randomuser wrote:
@Ambi

Only Exynos S4 supports H.265 not S600 variant.

Oh, right, well that just proves it's certainly an issue of system power.
[ This Message was edited by: Ambivalent_ on 2013-09-05 16:37 ]
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-09-05 17:48
Yep, just checked Samsung's specs of GS4.
I9500 Exynos Octa seems to have been the 1st smartphone to bring H.265, unfortunately the I9505's chip wasn't powerful enough to do it.

Got me wanting to find a H.265 file and play it on mine now had no idea it supported this.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Ambivalent_
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2013-09-05 17:56

On 2013-09-05 17:48:42, Tsepz_GP wrote:
Got me wanting to find a H.265 file and play it on mine now had no idea it supported this.

I'm not sure if H.265 is out officially. But eventually it's going to prevail due to it's great characteristics. Having H.265 supported is mostly future proofing at this moment.
[ This Message was edited by: Ambivalent_ on 2013-09-05 16:59 ]
xenia
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2013-09-05 18:03

On 2013-09-05 17:36:31, northmonkey wrote:
I don't know why everyone cares about viewing angles, I don't, it's better that people can't see your screen at an angle, as long as it's good head on I don't see what the problem is really.

Z screen has not only poore view angles, but very low contrast and dull colors. Orange color goes to yellow instantly... I don`t want same screen on Z1 after great Ultra screen.
From Z1 preview "The 1080p screen, previously a weak point of Sony smartphones, has been improved to the Triluminos variety, already seen on the Xperia Z Ultra, which should ideally bring more vivid colors and better sharpness and contrast. In reality, the screen still lags behind, say, Samsung Galaxy S4′s Super AMOLED display — tilt it a little and you’ll see the blacks go gray and the whites go darker — but it’s definitely sharp and beautiful to look at."
http://newssnip.com/hands-on-[....]egapixel-smartphone-xperia-z1/
[ This Message was edited by: xenia on 2013-09-05 17:05 ]
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2013-09-05 18:04

On 2013-09-05 17:56:45, Ambivalent_ wrote:
I'm not sure if H.265 is out officially.

It became an official standard at 7:th June this year.

On 2013-09-05 18:03:54, xenia wrote:
Z screen has not only poore view angles, but very low contrast and dull colors. Orange color goes to yellow instantly... I don`t want same screen on Z1 after great Ultra screen.

Z1 uses a Triluminos panel, which is exact same panel as U. Whatever you think you may have seen is most likely just an optical illusion (I have only seen one side by side comparison picture between Z1 and U and they looked pretty much the same to me).
[ This Message was edited by: Arne Anka on 2013-09-05 17:23 ]
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2013-09-05 18:13

On 2013-09-05 18:03:54, xenia wrote:

On 2013-09-05 17:36:31, northmonkey wrote:

From Z1 preview "The 1080p screen, previously a weak point of Sony smartphones, has been improved to the Triluminos variety, already seen on the Xperia Z Ultra, which should ideally bring more vivid colors and better sharpness and contrast. In reality, the screen still lags behind, say, Samsung Galaxy S4′s Super AMOLED display — tilt it a little and you’ll see the blacks go gray and the whites go darker — but it’s definitely sharp and beautiful to look at."
http://newssnip.com/hands-on-[....]egapixel-smartphone-xperia-z1/
[ This Message was edited by: xenia on 2013-09-05 17:05 ]

Viewing angle is the only thing I can see that's good at AMOLED right now, but check the YT video on both G2, Z1 and Note 3. the AMOLED is trailing behind on brightness and colors. now I'd ask you, would you prefer watching videos on 120 degrees angle or just go straight facing the screen?
10 years at Esato
xenia
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2013-09-05 18:21

On 2013-09-05 18:13:19, razec wrote:
Viewing angle is the only thing I can see that's good at AMOLED right now, but check the YT video on both G2, Z1 and Note 3. the AMOLED is trailing behind on brightness and colors. now I'd ask you, would you prefer watching videos on 120 degrees angle or just go straight facing the screen?

What screen do you prefer?

Or this one
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2013-09-05 18:29
Duh, You don't get it mate, Go check YT first , you're not seeing the whole picture with this

It's essentially the same Triluminos screen, I highly doubt it's is much worse then ZU TBH. besides those two pictures were taken on different lighting conditions, the reflection on the Z1 screen caused by the lighting inside the IFA room didn't gave it justice. you shouldn't jump into such conclusions

if it's virtually the same at right angles
http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/files/img/2013/08/z1-002.jpg

if would be impossible to see this being much worse when looking at angled view
10 years at Esato
Sonysta
C901 Black
PM
Posted: 2013-09-05 18:36
Great images... Note 10... Excellent quality, despite not having the latest firmware (14.1.G.1.518) !

Xperia Z1 is beautiful, well built, with a superb hardware and finally a great camera !

Knowing that new updates will come to enhance the camera, I have no doubt he will surpass the 1020 "Fake Pureview" and will be the best android photo of all time !

P.S: Congratulations Sony Mobile (After the crap Xperia X10, Xperia Play, Xperia Arc, Xperia Arc S, Xperia S, Xperia V, Xperia T, Xperia Z and Xperia ZL... You finally managed to develop a great unit with a great camera) !
xenia
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2013-09-05 18:37

On 2013-09-05 18:29:56, razec wrote:
Duh, You don't get it mate, Go check YT first , you're not seeing the whole picture with this

It's essentially the same Triluminos screen, I highly doubt it's is much worse then ZU TBH. besides those two pictures were taken on different lighting conditions, the reflection on the Z1 screen caused by the lighting inside the IFA room didn't gave it justice. you shouldn't jump into such conclusions

if it's virtually the same at right angles
http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/files/img/2013/08/z1-002.jpg

if would be impossible to see this being much worse when looking at angled view

Top picture is DUMMY!
Bottom - real phone.
Feel the diff))
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-05 18:45
so much criticism..

1) viewing angles are a stupid debate. most people don't care in real life usage and it's just a tech geek spec that people look to criticize.

2) photos are wonderful. admad and his crop with people at the "same distance" from the camera. are you blind? those people are at least 10 feet further away from the camera.. or are they "little people"?

3) great news on the codec support, though honesty i'm not sure i'd put it to use.

4) to all the haters and trolls.. if ya don't like it, too bad. it's official now so there's no sense in bitchin bout it. show your lack of support and buy something else. For the love of all things holy, save this thread for intelligent and enthusiastic discussions about the Z1 and its features/capabilities with those who love and are buying this device, are curious about this device to buy, and already ordered it!
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
josephnero
Sony Xperia Z5
PM
Posted: 2013-09-05 18:54
Both the Sony Xperia Z1 and the HTC One come with excellent 1080 by 1920 pixel displays, delivering an outstanding level of detail. The screen on the Z1, however, is slightly bigger with its 5-inch diagonal, while the One's panel measures 4.7-inches. Since the quality of both panels is outstanding, it would be very hard to say which one of the two is better. Both exhibit very accurate color reproduction, that we can say for sure
by Nick T

link:
http://www.phonearena.com/new[....]-vs-HTC-One-First-look_id47050

Both the Sony Xperia Z1 and the Samsung Galaxy S4 come with 5-inch 1080p screens delivering about the same level of image quality. However, these panels are fundamentally different. While the Galaxy S4 has a Super AMOLED HD display, the Xperia Z1 is equipped with a so-called Triluminos screen, adopting tech that its maker has borrowed from its TV division. Nevertheless, both screens look great in person, delivering pretty colors even at an angle.

link:
http://www.phonearena.com/new[....]g-Galaxy-S4-First-look_id47047

dr.W
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2013-09-05 18:57
I'm thoroughly impressed with the Z1. Thin, waterproof, fast, great camera. I only wish they would have gone with the 5.2" screen the G2 uses. With the onscreen buttons, a 5" screen becomes 4.7-4.8" useable area for most apps and launchers. That's why LG used a 5.2" screen for the G2, you still get the 5" useable area with the onscreen buttons. I have the HTC One and it is a great phone, but I played with a Galaxy S4 Active (because of the water resistant feature) and while its not as smooth as the One, having those extra 0.3" in screen real estate was a much bigger deal than I had thought. So Sony is selling a 5" screen that will have far less useable area than the 5" screen of the GS4 and the 5.2" screen of the G2. We all know that the Z1 has a lot more going for it than those phones, but the average person will go into a store and see how much more fits on the GS4 screen and be swayed.

It just shows that little extra attention to detail that Sony is still developing. I have no doubt the Z2 will be even better and most likely bring everything on par with the top makers. Honestly, I would have been happy with a phone that was a couple of mm thicker and put the camera in the middle of the phone. That would have allowed them to make the top and bottom bezels smaller and feel more comfortable about adding the extra width that comes with the 5.2" screen. I know the argument that thin sells, and so it becomes a matter that Sony painted themselves into a corner with their design language of a flat back. A tapered back, where the middle was thick enough to accommodate the lens/sensor and the edges were thinner would have allowed them to market it as a thin phone.

One thought...If you could swipe up from the bottom of the screen to enable the onscreen buttons that would be ideal, so they're only there when you need to use them. Does anyone know if this has been thought of or implemented before?
Rockarel
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-05 19:12
@ dr.W

I've often thought about that, similar to how some internet browsers hide the search bar or taskbar options when not actively being used. It does make me wonder how difficult it would be to have to constantly resize whatever you're currently looking at, would make things look compressed. The other option would be to have the buttons come overtop a full-screen image of what you're viewing, but then people would complain about things getting covered up while the buttons were out =/
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 141516 ... 369370371  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic