Forum > General discussions > General > Photos Shootout voting system

Author Photos Shootout voting system
thesun
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2013-07-03 10:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@ricky
it will have no effect on the very best pjoto, but there is a point where two or more are equally good in that month,
this way the winner will have lesser chance of getting sabotaged votes. See the video.

@hobbs
this is not just about last month.
but i seen it long ago.
and yes, choosing the best one is hard, that why the voting system must be upgraded too.
once you have voted, you cnnot changed it. Unlike the entries, you are allowed to change the photo.
[ This Message was edited by: thesun on 2013-07-03 09:23 ]
http://www.flickr.com/groups/c901/
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2013-07-03 10:25

On 2013-07-03 06:28:37, thesun wrote:
if the picture is good, it will win in any system.
it will be on the top on my proposed system, and also the current system.

Why complicate things if the same picture end up winning ?

I say stick to the old system, vote for the picture you like the most
thesun
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2013-07-03 12:40

On 2013-07-03 10:25:22, rikken wrote:

On 2013-07-03 06:28:37, thesun wrote:
if the picture is good, it will win in any system.
it will be on the top on my proposed system, and also the current system.

Why complicate things if the same picture end up winning ?

I say stick to the old system, vote for the picture you like the most

do not misread my statement,
i said IF with a big IF the picture is the best. It should win easily in my system.
but not the same for the pictures that are equally good.

take a ferrari, it will win over a daihatsu anytime.
but if compare to lamboghini, it wont be so easy win
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2013-07-03 15:13
Why don't we just vote on which voting system to use... seeing as thesun doesn't like our current voting system of 1 vote per person system, I propose we vote on it.... here is how it will work;

1) everyone ranks their preference for voting system in descending order of their preference-
a- One vote per entry
b- two votes per entry
c- three votes per enty
d- a vote for each entry

2) You write down your votes on 3x5 index cards (with rank included) and mail them to hihihans.

3) hihi will then sort the cards in the order he feels they are valid and mail them to thesun

4) thesun then chooses the top three cards and ranks them 1 to 3 where the number 2 rank is the winner!!!!

We all agree to then to use that voting system for the shootout going forward.... wooohoo [addsig]
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-07-03 16:35
I like that @mlife but that could be done easier. just the one vote one point system and number two wins
Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2013-07-03 17:14
I also dont parcipate in the shootouts but do tend to vote on a monthly basis just to support the great works of all shooters and there efforts.For me it simple.Hans lays the end out all nicly for us.If a photo is there it has passed all criteria.I go through them,choose the one that touches me and vote.Its simple.Leave it as it is.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-07-03 17:55
Voting mechanics

Basically this mathematical article states the to get a better result than a 'most votes wins' style voting system, all the entries should be ranked by each voter.

This becomes a logistical nightmare for whoever is counting the votes, increases the required effort by the voter and, in our competition with open voting, reveals a 'loser'.

None of these side effects deserve a place in an open casual photography competition.
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-07-03 20:09
What RickyD is saying was my problem also. I don't want to have a loser in the competition.
You may have noticed that I didn't rank the follow Ups recently. They are in order of amount of votes, in case of equal points the first voted for, on top.

I do make the list of entered photos with great care. Every photo is checked if it's valid and broken links to the full size page are fixed. This is all done to make it as easy as possible for members to select a favourite pic and cast his/her vote. There are 3 days to vote. That should be enough to make a choice.

Back to giving points. Every voter gives a point to the photo he/she likes the best. So far nothing will change in any system. I do know the feeling of looking through the photos and and find two or three capable to get my vote. If that happens I put it aside and look again one hour later. This is easier as to consider who gets how many points.
Giving one vote only says nothing about the other photos. Some people like to mention and explain their choice but that does not mean they would like to think about a second and third place.
The Esato shootout is open for every member and all participants look forward to the new theme every month. Not to win but to tickle their creativity. Every now and then an other member gives a little tip on how an image would make a better photo. This should be done more.

Right now the shootout is a friendly place that encourages to think a bit before you press the shutter button. Chances to win are equal to every entry. Yes, we had a winner once who's first post at esato was a photo in the competition.

I don't mind to do some extra counting but don't think it'll make a contribution to the popularity of the shootout.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-07-03 23:11

On 2013-07-03 09:50:00, Hobbs wrote:
Etaab mentioned Cupcakes zoo photo with the elephant been better than most the entries yet she didnt get much votes. I considered voting for it but just couldnt. The water pond on the left of the photo had been chopped. If that photo had been taken a little bit more to the left where the whole water pond showed it would have been a winner for me. Some photos are taken where no cropping is neccessary first time round. Some are taken where cropping is neccessary to save the photo.

Heh, Cupcake30 is my girlfriend and shes only joined Esato recently to participate in my interests. Shes anything but a professional photographer and often finds it hard to take a good picture. She uses her Galaxy S3, whilst I prefer to stick to my superior N8 for images.

Btw I didn't think her picture was the best, or even one of the best, but because I know her personally (obviously since I live with her) I used her as an example. She really thought about her photo and put in much effort deciding which picture to use. She didn't expect to win but she would have liked a vote. I know when I get a vote, even if its a single one it means quite a lot to me.

The fun for me is mainly the taking part. The only thing which annoyed me was when thesun, who appears to have the biggest beef with the voting system also, decided to say all but a couple of the pictures from last month qualified. For some reason he/she thought the term open meant mechanically. According to the link set at the start of the month, open meant more than mechanically. And then that swayed someone elses choice. Not good.

Stick to the current system I say. Its worked fine all along and anything new which had more than a one tier system would confuse people. I can just imagine every month someone new screwing up and us spending the final days filling the voting with nonsense about how to vote, what they did wrong and coaching them on how to vote. I don't want that every month. Does Esato ??
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-07-04 06:03
I'm not Esato but don't want screwed up votes.
Open was mend in various ways. All pics in the end list were valid. I know that even a singe vote is nice to have. Having only one point in a multipoint system would break that feeling. I think I'll stick with one vote one point for a while.
But please discuss further.
Hans
thesun
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2013-07-04 14:35
Ok. One vote it is then. I will not push anymore, but the fact that photography is an abstract subject, I prefer more thoughtfully and more balanced voting system. Thats why I suggested the alternative voting instead of first past the post system.

Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2013-07-04 17:47
etaab And her photo was my second choice so tell her to keep shooting.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-07-04 23:53
Heh, shes already excited about what picture to take next. She actively thinks about stuff like this and bangs on for ages about her planned picture.

Im usually late and only enter my picture a few days before the deadline. Sadly my job takes up so much of my time now.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-07-05 16:16
I'm glad she is enthusiastic. She'll get some votes soon and maybe even win when she captures that lucky shot. Good luck.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi