Unboxing,too big

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVyweb6_BKk&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Phone?? What phone??
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2013-08-05 23:29
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Absolutely gorgeous device, lovely design and looks like a quality device (which is should do for the price).
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-08-05 23:59
Being waterproof you could also use it as a tray to serve up some Key Lime Pie or as a surf board
Phone?? What phone??
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2013-08-06 11:42
Or do some plastering.

I bet it could be skimmed across the surface of a swimming pool
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-08-07 04:48

On 2013-08-04 16:56:00, Arne Anka wrote:

On 2013-08-04 16:37:13, Oogamous wrote:
Cant figure out how to change the keyboard to left or right handed typing as shown in the video...

The software containing all new features is not released yet. You have to wait for the global release.
[ This Message was edited by: Arne Anka on 2013-08-04 15:57 ]

Seems the early adopters got shafted. Shame on Sony for doing this ... BlackBerry got schooled and stoned all over the web for doing this with BB10 (yet that wasn't meant to have all the features of legacy BBOS devices). I see no different here. Great device, not knocking it, but Sony should've learned from their mistake considering the backlash of the Xperia T/TX release globally and soon after the Z/ZL. Oddly enough I still prefer the design of the TX over the Z/ZL.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Away
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2013-08-07 05:45
That's a bit harsh in this case...

They got the most powerful processor by far which is also remarkably efficient. They got the best screen. A phenomenal design. And the ability to use pens and pencils for input. It's a water and dust proof device.

Surely not being able to move a keyboard from left to right initially can't come close to outweighing any of those features.
Oogamous
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2013-08-07 06:33
I would agree with Away. The pros of this device currently far outweigh the cons of it. And future software updates can only make this device unbeatable.

The build quality on this device is fantastic. It feels rich, sleek, solid and premium. It's a pleasure to hold.
Though I got a flip case with it, I prefer not to use the case as the phone is too good looking to cover up and the phone feels solid enough to not get scratched easily.

The white version is sexy and you don't have to worry about any fingerprints showing on the back surface.. But yes the front panel is a fingerprint magnet, however it is easy to wipe off with any cloth.

It has a much better finish than the Xperia Z.

After 5 days of Use here are my thoughts:

PROS:
- Gorgeous device.
- The best screen ever. The HD videos look STUNNING. Never have I ever seen a better display. EVER.
- The ability to write with a variety of pens and pencils... Was iffy at first with many strokes not being registered with certain pens... but the .471 update seems to have resolved that... handwriting recognition also seems better.
- Downloaded a 100+ apps, kept many apps running in the background... Zero Lag Noticed. Multi-tasking is a pleasure
- Even the photos (I have over 3000) load up snappy, and without lag.
- Bundled Apps like sketch app are good
- Gaming, Asphalt 7 pre-installed, is great... the graphics are the best i have ever seen
- Slides in easily into pockets of regular trouser/dress pants... comfortable in sitting down, no fear of it falling out... easy to insert and remove from trouser pocket even in sitting position.
- Doesn't look too awkward even to hold it up to your ear/face while talking. Looks similar to what a person holding up a Galaxy Note 2 or a Mega 6.3 to their face would look like. Not worse.
- Has not Hung or Crashed even once in 5 days of heavy to very heavy usage.
- Sound quality through speakers is decent. Not outstanding, but not too bad either. I would take the waterproof speakers anyday.
- Sound quality through the headphones is good.
- Call quality and call volume is good.
- Camera is great. Sure, No LED flash, but still the camera clicks great pictures in daylight as well as low light. Better than the Xperia Z.

CONS:
- Impossible to operate one handed. (unless your hands are HUGE). I tried many different techniques. You WILL require two hands even for routine tasks like making and receiving calls, texting etc.. Fear of it falling out of your hands remain if you try to manoeuvre it with one hand
- Software is still not as advertised.
- The international mini keyboard for left /right handed typing is not available at present. Only Mini Chinese keyboard available, which is not useful to me. I hope atleast future update would make texting one handed.
- No X-reality yet, but I am curious to see how significantly it can improve the photos and videos, as the screen looks flawless already. The Blacks are really really deep black.
- Battery life is very average. Not the best. Not the worst. Even with stamina mode on and with fairly moderate use, the battery will start dying towards the end of the day. I guess I still have to figure out how to juggle the settings to ensure optimum battery usage.
- Constant 3G use/ prolonged gaming heats up the back of the phone. The phone can get fairly hot. But hasn't affected performance in any way.
- On high volume through the speakers, you can feel the back of the phone vibrate significantly. It feels like the speaker is just underneath the surface of the back glass and you can feel every hum and vibration and thump of the speakers. It is pretty significant. Haven't felt this with any other phone.. though i am not sure if the Xperia Z has this. Maybe it has to do with how thin this phone is and the vibrations get transmitted to the surface. But yes, this makes me nervous as it does not feel very normal. Hope I am wrong.
- The face unlock feature is neat, but then it unlocks the phone so fast that you don't get the time to use the Lock Screen widgets in 4.2.2. So went back to the "slide to unlock".
- Does not fit into a tight Jeans front pocket. The Top half sticks out, making it difficult to sit with the phone in your pocket.
- No LED flash.

Let me know if you guys want to ask anything specific.

Overall I am very happy with this phone. Its one of the best devices out there.

I shall try to put up some pics soon.

- Oogamous.

Sony all the way
Del
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-08-07 08:25

On 2013-08-05 23:59:00, Bonovox wrote:
Being waterproof you could also use it as a tray to serve up some Key Lime Pie or as a surf board

Brought to you straight from the event horizon of a quantum singularity.
u2jewel
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-08-07 10:52
@oogamus
Very well written feedback and initial report.
Cannot agree more with your opinions, but for me, there are 2 less cons for me.

Firstly, battery. As long as viber is turned off, i get excellent battery life. In another words, as long as u have stamina mode on (and set up so that it only syncs and uses 3g data when u turn the phone screen on) it would last me whole day. I would have 40% left, at least.
To maximise stamina mode, screen brightness is kept on the low side, but outdoor visibility is excellent.

Secondly, portability. Talking of jeans pocket, front works fine for me. All my jeans are Levi's, and the phone hides perfectly. As long as the jeans aren't tight fit, they would be fine
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2013-08-07 13:41
@Oogamous

Thanks a lot for the run down of the pros / cons. It seems exactly more or less like I expected. Will you not be investing in the mini bluetooth handset?
Oogamous
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2013-08-07 15:00
@Goldenface...

Yes I will definitely buy the mini Bluetooth handset once it is available. But the Sony stores here say that it would be available only from September, along with the magnetic charging dock.

Strange that they launched the phone the earliest here but making you wait 2 months for essential accessories. I guess everyone who buys the z ultra would end up buying the mini headset
Sony all the way
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2013-08-07 15:09
That's my guess too. It does seem pretty much an essential accessory, just for it's convenience. These early versions on sale now, do these also have LTE radios in?

Or are they just HSPA+
[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2013-08-07 14:09 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-08-07 15:20
Hang on a minute, something this pricey and top of the range has no flash?? Why??
Phone?? What phone??
Wishmaster89
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-08-07 15:22
Maybe because it didn't fit?
My NEX doesn't have inbuilt flash and it still takes great pictures. You should know that flash doesn't always equal better pictures

Not that I'm defending their decision, it just doesn't bother me. LED flash isn't one of those functions I can't live without. But you're right, they should have included LED flash. Even a small one, even small one would be a better flashlight than none
[ This Message was edited by: Wishmaster89 on 2013-08-07 14:25 ]
itsjustJOH
Sony Xperia L
PM
Posted: 2013-08-07 15:33

On 2013-08-07 15:20:00, Bonovox wrote:
Hang on a minute, something this pricey and top of the range has no flash?? Why??

I think it's not targeting a complete high-end phone, although the price dictates it, but a niche device targeting entertainment enthusiast with its large display and pencil input capability. Plus, I think they would not achieve such thin profile with an LED flash. Otherwise, if they would keep the 6.5 mm thickness and the LED, it would protrude like a pimple which kinda tarnishes the OmniBalance design.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 131415 ... 303132  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic