Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > The Official Camera Phone Shoot-out Competition June 2013: "OPEN"

Author The Official Camera Phone Shoot-out Competition June 2013: "OPEN"
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-06-30 20:02
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Its closest because its literally a scene that has been put together to make it most relevant in a manufactured way.

Its the images which show the theme in a more hidden or intelligent way that usually get my vote.

I don't want to be horrible or offensive to anybody, but like ive said many times this past year, just like last years Colours theme, someone stuck a load of multi-coloured candy sweets together and spelt out Esato. Entries like those are the fun, but don't require much effort, they're fake and shouldn't be even considered a vote imo.

So, if next months theme was to be Closed, I could just put a closed book on a table, a closed tobacco tin, a closed lighter, a closed spectacle case.. I could go on forever. So would people vote it the best ?? it looks that way.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
alenn
Nokia N900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-06-30 20:08
I believe for the best that we shouldn't fight about this.Everyone has their opinons and they stick to it..
I gotta go, off to a fireworks festival.
See you all later.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-06-30 20:39
@etaab,i am no longer posting on Esato because of people like you who continually put down other people's photography efforts and always talking down other people because they prefer another brand other than Samsung. Not everybody is a great photographer and for many it's the taking part that counts. I think in future you should keep your negative thoughts about others photos to yourself. I have been off here for a week but occasionally read it. I have come to detest Esato for what it's become,people getting on my back and other things,slagging other people down and moaning at me when i do nothing wrong. Am NEVER uploading another photo on here again and this is also my last post. I only logged in today to vote for Hans photo.
Phone?? What phone??
Sylwester
Samsung Galaxy Note
PM
Posted: 2013-06-30 22:16
Bonovox why? This portal without you does not make sense!

jestemzmiastka@wp.pl
[ This Message was edited by: Sylwester on 2013-06-30 21:18 ]
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2013-06-30 22:24
Blah blah blah
@etaab. You may have noticed that I voted for tranced too. We all have different reasons to give our votes. I know you like the spontaneous shots. Some like clear theme related pics. I usually give my vote to the photo that catches my eye while scrolling through the entries. If i can imagine it hanging on my wall, that's my choice.
My pic may look set-up but the only thing i changed was opening the lighter.
About changing votes; it's stated you can vote only once' . So, think before you post.
The reason for changing your entry one time is to keep the thread alive during the month. Now you don't have to wait to the end of the month to enter your best shot but can do it with whatever you have in the first week. If you surprise yourself with a fabulous photo you don't have to regret your early entry.
Anyway. Its the taking part that matters not the winning.
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2013-06-30 22:26
Although there are a few photos I like... It is hihihans photo which gets my vote. [addsig]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-06-30 22:35
@ Bonovox - is this one of your famous tantrums you have every now and then, followed by the threat of leaving ?

Get on with it, but I bet you'll be back. Please don't try to blame me for your mardy attitude to whatever tipped you over the edge this time. You're far too sensitive to what actually does not matter.

Oh and btw, accusing me of being Samsung biased is ridiculous. You know it as much as I. Especially since every time I enter the competition each month I post pictures from my N8. I also intend to buy a Nokia EOS or whatever it'll be called. Thought better of you of all people.

Anyway, see ya !
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2013-06-30 22:37

On 2013-06-30 20:02:03, etaab wrote:
Its closest because its literally a scene that has been put together to make it most relevant in a manufactured way.

Its the images which show the theme in a more hidden or intelligent way that usually get my vote.

I don't want to be horrible or offensive to anybody, but like ive said many times this past year, just like last years Colours theme, someone stuck a load of multi-coloured candy sweets together and spelt out Esato. Entries like those are the fun, but don't require much effort, they're fake and shouldn't be even considered a vote imo.

So, if next months theme was to be Closed, I could just put a closed book on a table, a closed tobacco tin, a closed lighter, a closed spectacle case.. I could go on forever. So would people vote it the best ?? it looks that way.

First let me say that your photo was my (very close) second choice. However I have to disagree with you in regards to "set up" pictures. To me, setting up a picture makes more of a photograph where as what you describe will always just be a snapshot in my mind. Now granted a picture of candy arranged to spell out esato would likely NEVER get my vote but I can't immediately preclude it just because it was set up. Same as a closed book, it all depends on how well the idea is executed as to if it gets my vote or not. I enjoy seeing things, items or even people set to make an interesting photo... take a look at any magazine or advertisement... do you not see great photography in Car and Drive, FOOD, Vogue or other magazines? ALL THOSE PHOTOS are "arranged" as you describe. Its very rare in my opinion to create a great image via "point and shoot".... thought, composition, additional lighting, filters or props are often to the benefit of the final result. I'm sure your cringing reading this but I totally see where YOU are coming from and have no problem agreeing on the fact that we disagree.
[ This Message was edited by: mlife on 2013-06-30 21:42 ]
[addsig]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-06-30 22:55
I honestly couldn't care less. We don't win prizes for this so I have nothing to gain.

However, I felt it necessary to add my opinion when I read that alenn wanted to change his post, Ricky_D thought alenn may have been influenced by people like thesun saying that only two entries actually qualify.

Its all about opinions. thesun's opinion is that very few pictures qualify, when really we could say they all do in some way or another. Some are interpreted easily, some are harder. 9_Destiny's picture is as always very nice, but I would say his qualifies lesser than mine, or thesun's, or one or two others. But then, from my point of view, I also I do not like manufactured pictures.

Then take cupcake30's picture (my girlfriend). Her photo is one from a recent trip to Chester Zoo of which she took an open enclosure - now theres a double meaning right there. Does she not deserve some recognition for the intelligent thinking behind her image ?

I personally interpret the whole monthly competition of who can take the best picture. Not who can set up the best scene and then snap any old picture of it as an afterthought.
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2013-06-30 21:56 ]
cupcake30
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-06-30 23:01
My vote is going to be etaab

I am not being biased but do genuinely prefer something a bit more abstract to the theme and as I was at the Mountain top with etaab I know how open it felt up there
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2013-06-30 23:04
@etaab

Very well said, point taken. But your opinion (with all due respect) isn't more important than everyone else's, hence the reason we all get a vote. You may apply your opinion to your own vote and move along. Please don't make inflammatory remarks which may prevent people from entering their pictures in the contest... everyone is at different levels and has different ideas as to what they like and why. Lets all just have fun and take some pictures.

Cheers!
[ This Message was edited by: mlife on 2013-06-30 22:07 ]
[addsig]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-06-30 23:15
Like I said, I honestly don't mind one way or another. I stand up for people having an opinion more on this very site than probably anyone else. Which is why I get into scrapes with people who don't want us to have opinions like what has been happening in other threads this past six months. Please don't assume im one of them.

Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-06-30 23:20
@etaab,no i am not having one of my tantrums as you and others seem to put it on here. I am mearly saying that despite what you might think of others photos not being as good or non manufactured as others are,you really shouldn't put other peoples efforts down. And no,i am not coming back to Esato. It's finally grown stale,boring and am sick of people having a go at me on here for the most stupid things. And all my photos are now deleted. Am sharing them elsewhere from now on. Am off to Ireland tomorrow and from here on in Esato is no longer for me. Yep,have said it before but being off here this last week has been bliss. Good luck all and hope you win Hans

Nokia Lumia 720
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2013-06-30 22:22 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-06-30 23:28
You see Sean, that's where you've missed the point entirely. Im not putting anyones image down. I was just adding to the discussion of what some people think qualify and others may not. Even mlife himself had a similar point to make back in January's numbers theme.

If you're too sensitive to tell the difference, then you have issues !
cupcake30
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-06-30 23:52
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic