Previous  123 ... 383940 ... 707172  Next
Author Nokia Lumia 1020
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-09-25 06:25
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/122609-nokia-lumia-1020-review
Review here says camera apps are slow and the phone just like the Lumia 920 did, gets very hot often slowing down the camera. Also night shots they said are noisy as usual with Lumia phones

[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2013-09-25 05:26 ]
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-25 06:57
i never liked pocket lint reviews. they seem to give "points" for very subjective things. I suppose that's why there are many review sites to consider.

I was reading the comments on one review and the mods were arguing with visitors about how specs don't make the phone great. yet their top reasons for the iphone5s being a 5 star phone are all phone specs. kinda funny.

anyway, anybody live near me with a 1020 wanna go have a shootout?
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-09-25 19:16

Seen a working one today & I felt quite underwhelmed. Just looked and felt like another 920 with a better camera The 2,000mAh battery must be as bad as the 920 was. A battery that size with a HD screen is not a good move in my opinion. It was clamped into the wall and if you pressed the screen in camera it would focus on some words behind it with a promotion of free Netflix (wow)
Phone?? What phone??
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2013-09-25 22:05
^ its very well built, but overall... nothing spectacular. The N9 design language is.. well.. getting old after 3 years or so..

Video review from Steve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj8ffmhCpg0

fbloise
Nokia 808 PureView
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-25 22:47
exactly my thoughts, they are milking the freaking design like mofo;s... time for nokia to come up with something new!
"Haters are just confused Admirers" My Website
Foro.DO Facebook Group at http://www.facebook.com/groups/esato/

BBM: 2B5E52DF
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2013-09-25 22:58
^ you mean Microsoft ?
lemmy31
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-09-25 23:01
Steve was right in his video review. The 1020 is the best cameraphone available to buy now !! maybe it isn't as good as the 808 imaging wise but using that as a modern day smartphone really is a chore.........and I have had three of them in the past !!

As far as I am concerned there is only Nokia and HTC that seem to be evolving in the hardware department and I can only hope MS continue this when they actually acquire Nokia devices division .

My 1020 is on order (via my wifes contract) and I cant wait.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-09-25 23:19
Not milking the design as bad as Samsung though
Phone?? What phone??
lemmy31
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-09-25 23:28

On 2013-09-25 23:19:00, Bonovox wrote:
Not milking the design as bad as Samsung though

Couldn't agree more with that comment.
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2013-09-25 23:48
A bit too aggressive maybe, but frankly, I stopped reading reviews from any American site in the past year or so..
None is even close to being objective. The iPhone is always the best camera, best design, best features, and of course best overall.
No wonder Apple sold 9 millions iPhone over the past weekend.

And especially when it comes to the camera department, it's enough that almost all mainstream American tech sites considered the cartoonish iPhone 4's camera the best in business back in 2011..

When it comes to reviews, there is only GSMarena. The tests they do are of quality and covering every aspect in detail. And they apply the conditions to every gadget. No manipulating in the results as some major sites were caught.

As to the design thingy, this is btw the toughest job requiring longest upgrade periods, huge resources, and a whole lot of expertise and talent!
To the consumers it may seem like a trivial thing to change a outside looks of phone.

But it all depends on the chassis, and how the device was thought out from the basic parts up top the whole thing.

It's not a surprise or a frustration at all that all companies are taking that long to bring in some totally revamped designs!

Apple made it only once so far, from the 3Gs to the 4.
Samsung still sticking to their original Galaxy S philosophy.
HTC also did it only once, from Desire to Sensation (changed the metal to polycarbonate then back to metal, but same core design)
Sony made their first upgrade just recently, in 2013 with Z series.
Nokia made the upgrade from the late Symbian high-ends to the N9 based design.
LG are pathetic. And the others are nothing to consider.

etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-09-26 00:05
The question is, who would buy the 1020 or the 808 if you had the choice ?

Im still undecided whether to get one or the other - or none at all and wait another year.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2013-09-26 00:20

On 2013-09-26 00:05:18, etaab wrote:
The question is, who would buy the 1020 or the 808 if you had the choice ?

Im still undecided whether to get one or the other - or none at all and wait another year.

That depends on what you are willing to compromise with and weigh it against the things you like. The biggest problem with the 808 is the web browser (there are ways to speed it up, and also Opera Mobile), which on the other hand is the 1020's strongest point. Also, if you care about current apps and games.. the 1020 is the obvious choice.

Then there is size.. the 1020 carries more volume than the 808 and its harder to use with one hand.

Then the screen.. do you care about sunlight legibility or screen resolution/size ? I find the first to work better if you are taking pictures.

I won't mention the imaging, i think i've made my opinion on the matter quite clear by now

If you are an audiophile you will have to wait for GSMarena to conclude their audio test.

"Unfortunately our Nokia Lumia 1020 unit had some problems with the music playback and we were unable to complete our dedicated audio quality test. Once we obtain a properly working unit, we'll update the review immediately."

The 808 is very strong in that department.

If you care about video recording.. 1020 for sure, no contest. The 808 is pretty good in terms of IQ and sound, but no where near the 1020 in terms of stabilization.

I would say you can't go wrong with either.. just different set of attributes.

On 2013-09-25 23:01:02, lemmy31 wrote:
Steve was right in his video review. The 1020 is the best cameraphone available to buy now !! maybe it isn't as good as the 808 imaging wise but using that as a modern day smartphone really is a chore.........and I have had three of them in the past !!

I don't mind it all.. but its mostly because I actually like Symbian and I've made it to the point where i am very comfortable using it on a daily basis as modern smartphone. Even today.. i was able to run both Google Maps and Nokia Maps at the same time.. natively.. meaning C++ Symbian code, unless Nok Maps is QT but i am not sure. I can't do that on any other platform..

On 2013-09-25 23:48:06, false_morel wrote:
And especially when it comes to the camera department, it's enough that almost all mainstream American tech sites considered the cartoonish iPhone 4's camera the best in business back in 2011..

.. i had the 4 and it used to make a rainy day look like a sunny spring afternoon. Good thing Nokia came up with the N8 at the time, that was on the opposite side of the spectrum.

Granted, IQ on the 4 was alright.. still shot at 1.75 microns but the jpeg processing was awful.
[ This Message was edited by: cu015170 on 2013-09-25 23:24 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-09-26 00:28
@etaab maybe wait till after GDR3 update for WP is out which is later this year. This will give support for better hardware on WP Quad core,1080p screens etc. And better imaging processing. Although the next big camera phone from Nokia might not have the Nokia branding on it As for audio most of the Nokia Lumia phones don't have the best sound for music,not the ones I have had anyway. Nokia should use their dedicated audio chips like they did in their older Xpress Music phones.

[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2013-09-25 23:32 ]
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2013-09-26 00:32

On 2013-09-26 00:28:00, Bonovox wrote:
@etaab maybe wait till after GDR3 update for WP is out which is later this year. This will give support for better hardware on WP Quad core,1080p screens etc. And better imaging processing. Although the next big camera phone from Nokia might not have the Nokia branding on it

It won't have Nokia branding for sure. They might stick with Lumia.. which I never liked to begin with. Nokia 1020 PureView sounds wayyy better than Nokia Lumia 1020

In terms of the software, yes.. being able to use the snap 800 will help a lot with image processing.

I think I am going to wait until WP gets to 3.0 or 4.0 before I consider it.. they are at 1.0 at the moment. The 8 in the name is misleading since they switched to a brand "new" core.. in fact.. if anything it should be called Windows Phone 6 if we are going by the current NT kernel version
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-09-26 00:33
Google maps ? funny you should say that because I read an article on AllAboutSymbian recently which said Google were slowly shutting down Symbian support, such as Google maps.

I tried it and uninstalled Google maps only yesterday. Street view is no longer available and when you attempt to get a name or route, theres no support. It'll still stream the maps but that's as far as it'll go, no businesses, routes and sometimes no street names. Unless you had a different version to the one I had on my N8 ?

The problem is now you have to prat about with apps like this one, but overall, the usability of Symbian phones is getting less and less. I always assumed apps like Google maps would always work on my Symbian phones. Sadly, the reliance on apps will also leave us losing out even more. Theres less and less quality apps on Symbian now. One of my favourite apps, Youtube Downloader, very rarely is able to download videos and it always says the link to the video is missing if its a music video or something copyright.

I know I sound like im being anti-Symbian, but up until Elops announcement of the burning platform, Symbian had my vote all the way. Sadly since that announcement, Symbian has been isolated as old and not sustainable.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 383940 ... 707172  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic