Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony Ericsson 3G-phone today!!!

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Author Sony Ericsson 3G-phone today!!!
Borat
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2003-02-20 15:18
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Quote:

On 2003-02-20 15:11, jack00 wrote:
hi there
@ http://www.ericsson.com - 3G Cannes - there is a video with the Z1010 and a interview with someone from Sony Ericsson
it looks really fantastic

P.S.: my english is no perfect - but I do my best

thx for the link, as I can se in the video, the z1010 isn't big att all.
Ruvjet
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-02-20 15:45
Quote:

On 2003-02-20 15:11, jack00 wrote:
hi there
@ http://www.ericsson.com - 3G Cannes - there is a video with the Z1010 and a interview with someone from Sony Ericsson
it looks really fantastic

http://www.ericsson.com/network_operators/3gsmworldcongress/default.asp

Yes, the first link on this page
'Consumers' impact on handset design make 3G succesful [Video]'

shows clearly that the Z1010 is a normal size. You can also see it in silver in a couple of the shots, or maybe its white..

If the battery life is right, this will be my first WCDMA handset.
brick
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2003-02-20 16:07
Quote:

On 2003-02-20 08:26, orange wrote:
And how exactly is Symbian OS limited compared to SE proprietary OS?????

For a start, try to surf the internet on the 7650. It's like reading wap on the T68i.

'sides, wouldn't the developement of UIQ as a common SE platform happen faster if all SE phones used UIQ? UIQ is also a lot more powerful than Series 60.

[ This Message was edited by: brick on 2003-02-20 15:18 ]
emo
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2003-02-20 16:54
damn!! now i can't decide which one to buy, P800 or z1010
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-02-20 17:17
@brick, the problem with UIQ is that it's a touchscreen based UI. I haven't seen how OS7 looks without it though... but I think all SE smartphones will now be using OS7 w/ or w/o UIQ as the UI depending on whether the model uses a touchscreen or not.
esoqq
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2003-02-20 17:20
The Ericsson video is useful for getting an idea of size because of the MS Duo in one of the shots. Assuming a height of 20mm for the Duo, I reckon the dimensions of the Z1010 are in the order of 100mm x 52mm x 28mm.

Interesting also to note that the Duo sticking out of the side of the phone is the wrong way around! i.e. the cut off corner facing out.

[ This Message was edited by: esoqq on 2003-02-20 16:20 ]

[ This Message was edited by: esoqq on 2003-02-20 16:21 ]

[ This Message was edited by: esoqq on 2003-02-20 16:21 ]
brick
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2003-02-21 01:42
@jplacson

That's true. I failed to see Symbian 7 is not UIQ and vice versa. It's Symbian 7 that SE would probably use as the platform. Makes more sense now.
PoloLP
T300
PM
Posted: 2003-02-21 02:21
really beautiful phone... but i think that the price will be as high as its beauty
just a question : what country are UMTS (or other 3G) enabled ??? 'Cause in France (i know, we are always 10years later =) ) we have just the GPRS since 3-4 months, and i don't know any body that have a GPRS phone (just me, so i'm bored, i can't even send a MMS to a friend, and they are free for 2 months =( )... The phone in France that are sold are Nokias.... T68i is too expensive for 'ordinary' people, and T300 is (for my friends) 'ugly'... They prefere a phone which is a sh*t in technology but looks right, than a technologic bomb... =( So, i don't know WHEN i will have the UMTS...

Quit the France's case =)

I think that Z1010 is more a Sony than an Ericsson phone (just think at the 'Z' like the Z5 or Z7 from Sony, and the unreleased Z700) and it looks like the Sony's Japans Phones...
I think the clamshell design is the only solution to have a BIG screen (with the no-pad style like P800), so, in the future, if you'll want a Big screen, you'll have a clamshell phone... Just look at the japanese ones... they are in BIG majority clamshell phones...
So, it's really late, and i feel tired so i tell my life =)....
Sorry if i've beared you =)
!!! Polo !!!
cwchee
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-02-21 02:43
Fom my point of view, the Z1010 is a phone that carries the design of Sony and the tech of Ericsson and that should be the way the phone should be made!

With regardes to the price, in my opinion, I think it will be or more ex than the P800 due to the fact that it almost have all the functions of P800 and more better features which definately add to its cost!

So for those who wish to get your hands on this phone and you know that the 3G network is gonna be or is already completed in your country, just start saving now for the phone so you wont complain that it is ex!
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-02-21 03:30
Actually, I prefer the designs of Ericsson. The things that I like about Sony are their manufacturing, mass-production & marketing. Designs aren't bad... but they're not great either. The ONE area that Sony makes really great designs are their audio products... specifically the S2 sports line. Other than that... their designs are bland.

Mass-production/manufacturing are where Sony really excels. They have very good manufacturing plants and they know how to lower porduction costs pretty well.

So far, I've never heard of anyone calling SE a Sony... but most people call SE an Ericsson.
hurny
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-02-21 08:28
Hey guys- what constitutes a '3G' phone? Video recording or something?

Someone update me on the terminology?
orange
R520
PM
Posted: 2003-02-21 09:31
Quote:

On 2003-02-20 16:07, brick wrote:

For a start, try to surf the internet on the 7650. It's like reading wap on the T68i.

DUH?!?!? What's this got to do with your argument that Symbian OS is limited compared to some proprietary OS????

Quote:

On 2003-02-20 16:07, brick wrote:
'sides, wouldn't the developement of UIQ as a common SE platform happen faster if all SE phones used UIQ? UIQ is also a lot more powerful than Series 60.

I don't quite get what you're trying to say?? How this is involved to your argument that Symbian OS is limited???

[ This Message was edited by: orange on 2003-02-21 09:12 ]
caff
K750
PM
Posted: 2003-02-21 09:52
Very nice ...in the video, there's the silver version as well.the menu system looks like the one on T68i with improved icons and looks very nice.........its not that big too ........amazing phone !
goldorak
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-02-21 10:15
Live video of the Z1010 in this page
http://mobiledreams.free.fr/modules...ws&new_topic=13
goff
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-02-21 10:18
I saw another movie clip today, were Jan Waerby plays with the phone, and they interviews different people who have tried it.
Very light was obviously a general comment.
One thought it was a little bit to thick. Some of the interviewed people were bankers, and it seemed like they had tried som secure banking with the phone.

Unfortunately I'm on Unix and the windows-clip didn't show very good.

BTW, the clip was published on internal Ericcson page, so I don't think I'm allowed to distibute it

BTW2, Mr Waerby said that the phone is for enthusiast and technical freaks that want the latest and best. That's us, right? The pricing would be like the P800 he said also...

Cheers!

Aha (me a couple of minuts later , found this transcript from the movie clip:

Introducing the Z1010

Jan Wäreby, Executive Vice President Sony Ericsson: "It's a clamshell phone. It has a big display. It actually has two cameras, one in the front for person-to-person video, one in the back for still pictures as well as video clips. It has of course dual mode WCDMA and GPRS/GSM, very good talk time and stand by time numbers, as well as Bluetooth and a Memory Stick."

Anna Kristoffersson, Product Marketing Manager Ericsson: "Everyone is very excited. We have been really popular and had a lot of attention and they like it. They all think it's a very light phone, and it's very nice. It's been crazy, a lot of fun. I must say, this has probably been the best trade show I've been to."

Sverker Arvidson, Swedish Handelsbanken: "It is a very nice phone and I think it has a lot of possibilities for the future."
What kind of possibilities and features did you like?
"I'm from a bank so to see secure and good bank applications, a combination with our Internet bank."

Jan Wäreby: "This is our first phone with a clamshell design, which really is necessary in 3G where you will use the screen more, and use the phone for much more than talking."

Jeanna Kimbré, Industrial Designer Sony Ericsson: "As this was our first 3G phone, we tried to make quite a statement, working with high-end materials, simple, clean lines but yet something that really makes a statement. We wanted to focus on some areas, which were the new navigation device, the dual LCD screens and the cameras. The materials we worked with were a lot of lacquers, IMD, trying to come close to materialization, real materials as far as we could."

Lars Wibeck, Handelsbanken: "It looks very nice, much better than I thought actually. The only thing I have against it is that it's a bit thick. I could be a bit thinner, if you want to put it in your pocket, but otherwise it looks very nice."

Jan Wäreby: "The first comments are very positive, it's also very well received by the operators of course. Now it will be important to see how it will be received by the consumers. We are doing this very much as a launch towards the operators. The first step now is interoperability testing, and we all know what's involved in that, and that this part will take some time, so we feel this is a very good time to launch it."
"It's a very high-end product, for the category we call professional pioneers, really the gadget freaks that wants the latest and greatest. It will not be in the lower price band. To put it in retail prizing, it always depends on what the operators do, but in ball-park you could say that it will be in line with the P800."

Jeanna Kimbré: "What I'm most pleased with? It's a difficult question. I'm really pleased we have a product that actually holds together, that is different and that is perceived as having a high value. I think that's really important."

Jan Wäreby: "To the consumers it will be out during the second half of the year. But it will be out to the operators for testing already in the second quarter."

Lars Wibeck: "What we need now is a network so we can use it!"

[ This Message was edited by: goff on 2003-02-21 09:31 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic