Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > Samsung Galaxy S4 announced

Previous  123 ... 131415 ... 777879  Next
Author Samsung Galaxy S4 announced
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-03-25 21:07
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
IF I get the GS4 I will gladly go for the Exynos non-LTE variant. LTE coverage down here is limited while HSPA+ is everywhere, I've also not been a Snapdragon fan since I watched time and time again the Exynos chips manage to thrash Snapdragon SoCs whilest running at lower clocks, also, Samsungs based on Exynos tend to be better optimized and receive updates quicker.

Strange Samsung couldn't put a LTE antenna with the Exynos 5 Octa, as they did manage to do it in the Exynos 4 Quad later last year in the GS3 LTE and GNote2 LTE.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Away
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2013-03-25 21:11

On 2013-03-25 21:07:47, Tsepz_GP wrote:
IF I get the GS4 I will gladly go for the Exynos non-LTE variant. LTE coverage down here is limited while HSPA+ is everywhere, I've also not been a Snapdragon fan since I watched time and time again the Exynos chips manage to thrash Snapdragon SoCs whilest running at lower clocks, also, Samsungs based on Exynos tend to be better optimized and receive updates quicker.

Strange Samsung couldn't put a LTE antenna with the Exynos 5 Octa, as they did manage to do it in the Exynos 4 Quad later last year in the GS3 LTE and GNote2 LTE.

Someone was covering his eyes when the Sony 2h 2012 flagships were keeping up and even winning in some cases with half the number of cores. And when exynos was obliterated on phones by the s4 pro...
[ This Message was edited by: Away on 2013-03-25 20:12 ]
mediar
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-03-25 21:15

Just look at that! Sony's ugly Xperia looks like some kind of unfinished prototype, compared to S4...
The best mobile phone brand died with Sony Ericsson's death. Shame on you Sony for killing it! And, of course, for ruining the Xperia brand...
Mediar's Site
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-03-25 21:44

On 2013-03-25 21:11:57, Away wrote:

Someone was covering his eyes when the Sony 2h 2012 flagships were keeping up and even winning in some cases with half the number of cores. And when exynos was obliterated on phones by the s4 pro...
[ This Message was edited by: Away on 2013-03-25 20:12 ]

Sorry, much like the rest of the smartphone industry I never really cared or paid much attention to the H2 flagship, doesn't really matter though, the US version of the GS3 had the very same S4 chip many months before. Amazing that the S4 simply kept up with the Exynos 4, reason being the S4 had Krait cores, no? These use similar architecture to the A15 chips meaning despite using less cores it SHOULD be more powerful than an A9 Quad core like the Exynos 4 Quad, this means the S4 chip SHOULD have owned in every single way, after all it ran a much newer architecture with a smaller design, yet the older A9 chip managed to give it hell. Pretty incredible, this is what makes Exynos so great.

And the Exynos 5 Dual in the Nexus 10 thrashed the S4 Pro end of last year, this despite having to push the highest Android display res to date
http://www.anandtech.com/show[....]le-nexus-4-and-nexus-10-review the Exynos 5 Dual in itself is a beast, can't wait for those Exynos 5 Octa benchmarks now!
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2013-03-25 20:53 ]
Away
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2013-03-25 22:18

On 2013-03-25 21:44:51, Tsepz_GP wrote:

On 2013-03-25 21:11:57, Away wrote:

Sorry, much like the rest of the smartphone industry I never really cared or paid much attention to the H2 flagship, doesn't really matter though, the US version of the GS3 had the very same S4 chip many months before. Amazing that the S4 simply kept up with the Exynos 4, reason being the S4 had Krait cores, no? These use similar architecture to the A15 chips meaning despite using less cores it SHOULD be more powerful than an A9 Quad core like the Exynos 4 Quad, this means the S4 chip SHOULD have owned in every single way, after all it ran a much newer architecture with a smaller design, yet the older A9 chip managed to give it hell. Pretty incredible, this is what makes Exynos so great.

And the Exynos 5 Dual in the Nexus 10 thrashed the S4 Pro end of last year, this despite having to push the highest Android display res to date
http://www.anandtech.com/show[....]le-nexus-4-and-nexus-10-review the Exynos 5 Dual in itself is a beast, can't wait for those Exynos 5 Octa benchmarks now!
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2013-03-25 20:53 ]

So it's my fault you don't care about the h2 of the year? The XT beat the s4 dual gs3 anyway.

And no, the s4 dual wasn't ever even marketed as such. Clock to clock, with everything else being kept equal, they were supposed to be 30% faster than a9. The only reason I remember this number of the top of my head was because I was wondering, like many others were at the time, how much better a15 vs krait was supposed to be, and I remember a15 was supposed to be 40% faster than a9 with everything else being kept equal.

I would have picked the s4 dual gs3 over the exynos (if someone had put a gun to a much loved family of friend's head and forced me to pick between them) because krait was supposed to be more efficient.

In other words, you're a self-declared fan-boy thanks to your references about not caring about h2 of the industry and believing exynos to be so great.

Don't even get me started development-wise...

https://plus.google.com/101093310520661581786/posts/aoAGK5yo13Y should refresh your memory. If you get time, read the saga. Developer hell. Shows how amazing exynos really is.

The Exynos 5 dual also thrashed the battery of the tablet. It was the gpu more than the cpu which was interesting and powerful. Hardly exynos power if most of the thanks goes to ARM Mali-T604.

The best chip of last year for a phone was the msm8960T, followed by the apq8064 or the msm8960. Power-wise, it was the exynos of 2011 coming out on top for that year. However, even you samsung fans that say there's no point for custom roms - I can't lose multi-window - would realise that in the s2 era, no such thing existed and most tech-savvy consumers were obliged to get a custom-rom, and were screwed over by the exynos. Last year, the exynos failed, pure and simple. And because of the 4+4 architecture and STILL the LACK of integrated LTE for mainstream Samsung (flagship) phones, the s600 is better. When the s800 comes out, I can't even describe how exynos will get obliterated...

On the tablet front, it's uncertain who will come out on top. The Exynos is not even in the running (to our current information). It's either the t4 or the s800.

Try again in 2014, Exynos.
[ This Message was edited by: Away on 2013-03-25 21:20 ]
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-03-25 22:24
Will the Galaxy S4 offer 1080p@60fps video recording? Qualcomm says yes

http://blog.gsmarena.com/qual[....]o-recording-smartphone-shrugs/

My goodness, if this is true then Samsung are one cruel company, there are two to three other S600 based phones yet none do HD1080P@60FPS, seems they really have not tweaked the CPU clock but probably GPU to I bet the Exynos 5 Octa variant will also have this thanks to its ridiculously powerful PowerVR SGX544MP3 GPU

As for LTE in the Exynos 5 Octa, seems I was wrong, the only reason Samsung are releasing 70% of the 1st of GS4's with the S600 is due to manufacturing issues with the Exynos. Seems us power users should rather wait as I'm sure the 30% Exynos based ones will be the 1st to be sold out:
Shortage of Exynos chip means 70% of first Samsung Galaxy S4s will have Qualcomm Snapdragon 600

http://www.phonearena.com/new[....]ualcomm-Snapdragon-600_id41197
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-03-25 22:43
Away
So it's my fault you don't care about the h2 of the year? The XT beat the s4 dual gs3 anyway.

Its the fault of Sony, if the H1 flagship couldn't beat the GS of that year, no hope for the H2. Interesting you say the XT beat the S4 GS3, true or not, Sony were given plenty time to come up with something that could stand up to the GS3, instead it failed...much like the Xperia S.

In other words, you're a self-declared fan-boy thanks to your references about not caring about h2 of the industry and believing exynos to be so great.

Nope, I simply didn't care because I knew it wouldn't be any better than the H1, although I had been initially impressed that soon died out thanks to its maker. The Exynos was indeed great, in fact, so great that the phone that used it seems to be the only 2012 flagship being compared to 2013 ones, your amazing XT has gone down as another "once ran", I wonder if it will even see past 4.1.2

Last year, the exynos failed, pure and simple.

Any bit of credibility was lost here, you and I both know thats not true
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-03-25 22:53
The thing is, it doesnt really matter who has the most power. No matter how powerful something is, within a few months its obsolete. So i wouldnt rate one phone better over another just because of its power.

Nobody doubts Sony's second half phones from 2012 were powerful. I find regardless of how old its cpu is, my SGS3 is more than powerful enough. If i can run any 3G game from the Playstore last year and this year, theres not much need for more power. Which again, is another reason i probably wont buy the S4.

Like ive said, its all about the all round package. Samsung are great at that, if not the best. Simple.

@ Tsepz_GP - i would hang on for the more powerful version also, just because it'll be more future proof and will probably handle updates better. I find 3.5G fast enough most of the time for anything so LTE isnt totally needed.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-03-25 23:11

On 2013-03-25 22:43:48, Tsepz_GP wrote:
Last year, the exynos failed, pure and simple.

Any bit of credibility was lost here, you and I both know thats not true

Exactly. I think really hes just says such nonesense as this to entertain people with our responses. Nobody could be this stupid literally ?

Was Exynos / Samsung a failure in 2012 ? judging by the sales of those products, no.

Thats like saying, Lethal Weapon beat Skyfall at the box office worldwide last year. Well, not only did that not happen, its not even believable by anyone since Lethal Weapon wasnt released in 2012. Total fabrication of information and expected by certain people for us to believe so. Thats what Mr Away does. Wake up call Away - we're not on LSD !!
djin
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-03-26 09:11
This thread should be renamed to samsung vs sony flame wars thread. There is little discussion about the device it self
Xperia T + N 96

R.I.P Desire
rickster2kuk
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2013-03-26 20:19
Trying to get my head around the whole processor thing.

So, for the UK you will get Snapdragon on the basis of LTE/4G. There will also be an Exynos version coming in June/July but essentially this will be non LTE.

From what I have been reading here are the differences:

Snapdragon:
Pros: Lightning fast, available now (no delay).
Cons: Potential battery drain, slower GPU than Samsung version, potentially slower updates from Samsung.

Octo-core Exynos:
Pros: More fluid, although clock speed is slower, architecture is better, potentially better battery management.
Cons: Limited initial availability, no LTE support.

So that leaves people in a bit of a quandary; if you want the S4 with LTE/4G you will have to go with the Qualcomm chip and just hope the battery drain isn't to much. I personally would trade the power for battery but then again I think not get an LTE phone is a bit of a backward step in this day and age.

Thoughts?
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-03-26 20:28
Why is Samsung making things more complicated and more frustrating for consumers??
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-03-26 21:01
They arent. Most consumers wouldnt know the difference in processors and i very much doubt even care.

Since my home broadband is faster than LTE anyway, LTE is a very good luxury if i had a phone capable of such a thing on my network, which doesnt support it yet anyway, theres not much need for LTE just yet.

I would rather have the Exynos version anyday. Theres no point in limiting the potential of some devices just to provide a bit faster downloads on networks which are at the moment well over priced anyway. If i were to get the S4, which im not, even though im tempted i'd wait for the Exynos version or have it imported if it were not available.

Im sorry to assume here in the UK we'll get the LTE version only, probably. These companies go with whatever sells and the LTE moniker will be too strong for the retail chains to capitalise on.
rickster2kuk
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2013-03-26 21:07
Sadly Etaab I don't think the UK will get the Octo version on the basis it won't be LTE compatible.

Strange how Samsung managed to get the Exynos 4 to work on LTE (I have the S3 LTE version), not sure why they can't get it to work now.

Take you point about LTE in the UK at the moment, totally agree about the price and speed, but it does seen a pain that Samsung are taking some future proofing away from the phone with the Eyxnos version.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-03-26 21:36
Wasnt the S3 LTE version powered by a Snapdragon cpu though and not the Exynos ? also the ram was bumped to 2gb.

I think the issue with the Exynos not being LTE compatible is due to Samsungs own hand in designing the chipsets.

I dont miss network speeds ive never had before and i dont think id need them that much. I tend to update apps at home at night, download big apps when im at home etc. Also, ive had faster wifi speeds than LTE is capable of in the real world.

LTE wont be a big deal until 2014 in the UK. By then, we'll have the S5.

EDIT: Also, ive tried downloading big files before, a gig or two, the usual effect being a negative effect on battery life, which is why i tend to wait and download at home close to a charge point. I once downloaded a game 1.5gb in size over my network and it took a big 20% chunk out of my battery life if i remember right.
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2013-03-26 20:39 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 131415 ... 777879  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic