Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Blackberry > BlackBerry Z10 official: 4.2-inch 1,280 x 768 display, 1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 Plus LTE

Author BlackBerry Z10 official: 4.2-inch 1,280 x 768 display, 1.5GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 Plus LTE
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2013-04-14 13:29
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@Hardened

Naah, I haven't got the Z10 yet. Still waiting to see the Q10 before I decide.

I still see myself with the Z to be honest, I just want to make certain that I give the Q10 a look-in so I don't find myself regretting because of the physical keypad. Like I said, chances are quite high that I will end up with the Z10.

The BB10 os is my number one os, that will never change unless there is no Blackberry anymore. Using two lines means I have to decide on a second os, probably Android.

It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-04-18 08:11
Q10 seems to be a wise choice. Not just for battery life but the upcoming 10.1 will bring back a few features that are currently lacking in BB10; Z10 will get this update as well and 10.1 is already Gold SDK and available for download to developers right now.

PIN to PIN messaging
ActiveSync allows beyond 30days emails (thank God!)
so much more - I'm not going to install as its a developer edition, native apps like twitter is missing from this developer build currently yet can be downloaded from BBWorld store. Alarm function is also missing - cannot re-install that.

I cannot wait for this update I'm going insane. I too will be buying the Q10 but giving it to my best friend she's a BB keyboard fanatic.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
emerson_shei
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2013-04-21 03:30
BlackBerry's Back: Z10 Camera Review

http://connect.dpreview.com/p[....]erry-z10-camera-review?sidebar
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-04-21 09:55

On 2013-04-21 03:30:50, emerson_shei wrote:
BlackBerry's Back: Z10 Camera Review

http://connect.dpreview.com/p[....]erry-z10-camera-review?sidebar

slightly dated review; soon.

10.1 was leaked today for all models of Z10 and I have successfully installed it and restored content to my STL100-3 (Z10 with quad-band HSPA, penta band LTE ~ I still only have 3 available since I'm still SIM card locked to Rogers Wireless).

HDR is now part of Camera Settings in this 10.1 update.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-04-21 12:56
Hardened

Out of curiosity, how is the gaming side of BB10 going? I know this isn't much of a focal point of the typical BB user, but I'm curious as now that the BB10 phones do have very capable hardware if there is a bit of effort being put into developing HD games if any are available?
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max White Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-04-25 09:45

On 2013-04-21 12:56:33, Tsepz_GP wrote:
Hardened

Out of curiosity, how is the gaming side of BB10 going? I know this isn't much of a focal point of the typical BB user, but I'm curious as now that the BB10 phones do have very capable hardware if there is a bit of effort being put into developing HD games if any are available?

Gaming is pretty outstanding to be honest! I don't think there is anything the iPhone 5 can do in terms of gaming prowess that the Z10 cannot do - the limitations comes down to just how good the programmer or team of programmers are, their experience and understanding and implementation of the various API's. That's my thought - just like can anyone of us be a brain surgeon, of course we can but its boils down to the same concepts, dedication/ambition, understanding the resources and ability to apply them with the tools provided. Don't worry I'm not planning on any neural surgery's so the human race can rest assured its safe from my non-steady hands and psycho thoughts lol, lmao (maniacal laugh).

Regarding games I personally have installed:
Angry Birds Star Wars (yeah I know I knocked this before and prior to my Z10 NEVER downloaded, installed nor played it on anything else, even the 4 iPhones I've used previously; but its grown on me). This is good for casual gaming and its fluid. Basics covered.
JetPack Joyride - a little more faster paced and a classic side scroller game.
Nova 3 - VERY intense but it takes almost 2mines to load before you can interact and start playing. I don't have a TV yet so I cannot say if this improves with HDMI out to one but I've read by other owners its much faster as its intended to use Z10 as a portable like console of sorts, outputting to an HD screen.
SpinBalls Special - a very interesting portable game (think of classic dedicated portable games on Nintendo of the previous decades, similar type of gaming, graphics dont' astound you but smooth and non pixelated. more of a calculating game.
Simon Plus (basically Simon Says - a portable interactive game of the 80's made fully digital; if you're younger than 24 you'll probably need to google Simon Says game to know that it is; it gets people frustrated because eventually you'll loose at this memory flexing game, pace increases each level).

my personal favorite is "Sector Strike" ... think of HD level graphics for R-Type (the last version). I'm close to 40 now so my eyes require light vision glasses for anything farther than 15 feet not goggles mind you, but this means oldschool games bring back nostalgia of memories and fun for me. THIS puts a killer smile on my face and I've been playing from 12AM to 4AM until I fall asleep for 5 nights now - I have insomnia lately creeping up again so this has helped get me sleeping like a baby even it its only 3hrs a night.

So to answer there are a lot more games than applications currently in BBWorld and some are increasingly getting better with HD support. It doesn't compare to what iOS has in terms of high-end games, yet, but I'd say Androids games are more plentiful but nothing outstanding more than what BB10 can do with current Dragon S4 Plus chipsets.

Regarding Gaming Support:
Wireless Mobile Game Controllers
he controllers we used at GDC are the SteelSeries Free Mobile Wireless Controllers (shown below). The last time I checked, the controller will set you back about $80USD and you can find one here. Other controllers, such as the Wii Remote and the Gametel, are also usable and there’s more to come.

Source: http://devblog.blackberry.com[....]-gaming-experience/#more-14771

For you game developers out there, you can get more information about how to instrument your code to work with these controllers including samples and tutorials by checking out Sean Paul Taylor’s devblog: “Adding Gamepad Support to Your BlackBerry 10 Game”. You can also read about Ramprasad Madhavan’s experience at GDC this year and the Unity BlackBerry 10 Open Beta coming soon on his devblog: “Unity and BlackBerry Gaming at GDC 2013

BlackBerry Gaming Webcasts Announced - 09.07.12

I hope the above information related to developers blog by BlackBerry can shed insight of your question of development difficulty or HD game support, its not much but at least it'll guide you to where more information may have answers for you. BB10 is a new platform, but the support by varying core coding environments, teams, and SDKS are outstanding and growing at a rapid rate.

Aside from what gaming support BlackBerry is pushing for ... is the old-school application KING is ...
Headless Apps!
Headless Apps allow an application to run without a GUI for the user to interact with the underlying core kernel, or top layer OS while feeding or retrieving data to another application. Think of this as a process of sorts: Think ... a headless application will look at your appointment for a date at a restaurant, or a meeting at a conference in a hotel, then determine your GPS location while your driving, on the bus or walking and within say 20 meters take a look at the calendar appointment/meeting, then check the time and alert you that you're near, maybe even prompt you to ...
a) make a call to concierge informing of your pending arrival, b) sending an SMS/Email to other attendees as well about your arrival, c) sending your executive assistant a priority email requesting an update of the latest edit of the document attached to the meeting! Maybe even perform ALL.

Of course headless applications are used in Windows (DOS, etc), Linux/Unix (shells), and OS X (Shells/Scripts) all the time and have been with us for decades. However the negative affect is security concerns when we think of what trojans can do - they're very similar in basic design (you don't see them processing and even in Windows Process Viewer most cannot tell unless they recognize something unfamiliar and have to google websearch a particular process; by then usually its too late. QNX Neutrino core kernel will separate every process from one another so the security concern is NIL!

To my knowledge iOS, or Android doesn't support headless applications, I could be wrong in the latter though, again I'm no programmer in the slightest idea of that world. So what do I really know. I hope this helps.
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2013-04-25 18:03
BlackBerry have lost their damn minds!!!

What kind of pricing is that on the Q10?!
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-04-25 22:29

On 2013-04-25 18:03:35, Dups! wrote:
BlackBerry have lost their damn minds!!!

What kind of pricing is that on the Q10?!

Well within 3, well 6months realistically (since we're in the middle of BBRY's Q1 2014 Fiscal QTR) we shall see if their damn minds are really lost! It's called knowing your demographics, target market, your product vs the competition.

Think of the competition for Full QWERTY smartphones of any platform: iOS you can forget it. Android, all are running on 2.3 Android with horribly laggy CPU's and are dead with no hope of getting ICS, let alone JB or KLP. Application support on those Android QWERTY's is horrible, in fact are worse than BB10. In the past 1.5 weeks I've seen 20 applications get updated to support BB10 v 10.1 (which is still in beta with a second leak for Z10 today installing later tonight) along with Q10 support. This is VERY fast updates by developers which shows not only their dedication to the platform, the robustness of the dev tools, but also their faith in the ecosystems future (HW included). Also NONE of the competition with Full-QWERTY supports: HDMI out, DLNA out to a TV ability to drive 1 app on the device with separate content out on the HDMI connection (or DLNA connection). Too many are and going to judge the Q10 with SGS4 and other devices, which are complete animals and not on its own merits. Lastly, Q10 supports NFC, dual-band 802.11N and has a 2100mAh battery.

here is an upload of Sector Strike on my Z10, currently free in BBWorld with NO Ads!! See why I'm hooked!
http://youtu.be/2dv1owTNpq4
on PlayBook as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=46ZCjqJVvwo

Also Dups!, think of the grey market ... the British Pound has more value than the Canadian dollar - even with importing
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-04-25 23:04
Hardened

Wow! That is a lot more development than I expected to be, that is really great, atleast BB are trying to show that these BB10s are not one trick ponys, I'm looking forward to seeing if more Android/iOS focussed devs finally take begin taking BB seriously.

Headless apps idea sounds a little like what Google Now does on Android, e.g. when I'm at varsity Google Now will use GMaps to find where I am, and then use Traffic updates to calculate how long it will take me to get home, so when I pull out my Android I see a notification saying if I leave now I'll be home at this time, it also keeps an eye on what places I go to and informs me of new movies at cinemas, when I'm at a mall with a cinema etc... but GNow has a GUI.

BTW, I played on a Z10 today, I wasn't totally blown away, but the UI is impressive,took a while to master though, it won't take me I away from Android, but it has great potential, maybe next year when it has grown and mature a bit more I'll be more interested, BB are headed in the right direction.
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2013-04-26 06:40
@Hardened

I say let's wait and see what happens in 6 months time. I am thinking back to what Thorsten said about the decision to bring out the Z10 before the Q10, one of the reasons being that it was more difficult to manufacture the Z10 than it is for the Q10.

Thinking about that makes me wonder why price the Q10 this high when it wasn't as difficult to manufacture? I just hope they are not overestimating their physical QWERTY market or what's left of it.

I read two reviews of this phone and am pleasantly impressed, more on the QWERTY keypad and them nifty shortcuts. I must say, though, I don't like the idea of using AMOLED screen, I was never a fan of oversaturated colours.

Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-04-26 10:51
BGR has reviewed the Q10, they are not totally impressed and suggest the Z10 over it if you don't really need physical keys:
http://bgr.com/2013/04/23/blackberry-q10-review-459545/

Must say, I sort of like the Q10's look, it's like a sort of hybrid between a Torch9810 and Bold9900, but with BB10, I personally see the Q10 doing better down here in SA if priced correctly, as most people who go for BB down here want a keyboard.
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2013-04-26 17:56
Don't bother with BGR, Tsepz_GP

They really are not worth my time in terms of reviews. I don't know wher I read the most objective review of this phone, it touched on the negatives and positives in a fair manner. The other review was from Crackberry which did a pretty decent job.

Like you wrote previously, and I have always pointed that out from the start, this is going to be a very, very competent and powerful OS once BlackBerry unleashes its full potential in the coming months.

I am really thinking I am more at home with the physical keypad than the virtual one on the Z10.

I am waiting to see the pricing from Cell C cause that's where I am getting this or the Z10.

I just can't believe how hooked I am on the physical QWERTY keypad, I was so sure that the Z10 was going to be the one but now I am not so anymore.

Damn you BlackBerry!!!
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2013-04-26 18:23
Against my better judgement I went ahead and read the so-called review on BGR and I wasn't surprised.

That is not a review, it is shocking to say the least. Seems to me this person just wasn't interested to review the phone.

One of the reasons I still rate GSMarena the best phone review site around. BGR is almost like Phonearena who do a shoddy job in reviewing their phones.

If Eldar didn't go insane Mobile-Review would be an equal of GSMarena.

Aaah well, I will wait for GSMarena to review this phone.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-04-27 03:58
Good to see your feedback guys.

Some report shows that todays' limited release of the Q10 sold out 2000 units in 90minutes, with a lineup before and after for those hoping to get priority status on restocking shipments. I'm seriously surprised and impressed.

http://t.crackberry.com/selfridges-crowd-blackberry-q10

Selfridges sells out BlackBerry Q10 in 90 minutes

http://t.crackberry.com/selfr[....]-out-blackberry-q10-90-minutes
&
http://seekingalpha.com/artic[....]tes-at-selfridges?source=kizur

According to Seeking Alpha, Selfridges completely sold out of Q10's today. They had 2,000 units at the start and ran through their entire supply in just 90 minutes -- that's about 22 phones per minute. We do have to factor in that there were multiple people buy more than one device at a time, but it's still a pretty impressive number.

Even after the stock was depleted, there was still a lineup of people hoping to secure a device for tomorrow when stock is (hopefully) replenished. When a manager was asked how sales compared to the BlackBerry Z10, she said it was "leagues beyond anything they had seen."

interesting times ahead for BlackBerry ... we'll see if sales like this with much more significant numbers occurs in Canada May 1st, and in the USA, a critical market in terms of perception, repeats this end of May.
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2013-04-27 10:10
Thanks for the info, Hardened!

That is a good start for BlackBerry, I hope it carries on to all other regions.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi