Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > NOKIA Predicted to Sell Mobile Business to Microsoft and Huawei

Previous  12
Author NOKIA Predicted to Sell Mobile Business to Microsoft and Huawei
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-01-05 17:53
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
In what way though ? I certainly dont think Samsung phones are badly designed or ugly. Maybe a little uninspiring but thats about it.

Theres only so much you can do with a full touch driven phone these days. You have a screen on the front and camera on the back.

Theres little room for design differences other than changing the colour of the phone, the materials used or overall shape. Look at the Lumia phones, suddenly Nokia is screaming at HTC for copying their colourful designs - but what else could they do ???
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
alenn
Nokia N900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-01-07 13:43
Samsung devices are great but definitely not the prettiest ones on the planet.

Nokia will sell even more of it's WP devices simply because Nokia makes the best hardware and cameras out there.
I hope that Nokia can go with one more OS other than WP.
Only Apple now is based on one OS...
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2013-01-07 18:29
Samsung is killing everyone in the android realm... Nokia wouldn't stand a chance coming in that late in the "game"

http://www.htc.com/www/about/[....]-unaudited-results-for-4q-2012

http://www.gsmarena.com/q4_co[....]otselling_phones-news-5296.php

I don't know what makes them think that it will be any better with WP .. but overall, the reality is that WP will never dominate the market like Symbian did before, and therefore its pretty unlikely for Nokia as well. Again.. if they go Android they are facing Samsung, and there is no way they can dominate there.

The reason they were on top for so long was because they understood Symbian better than anyone (ironic, I know) and their competition simply had no chance. Even Ericsson couldn't keep up...

So from that perspective, Nokia needs to downsize very quickly. They were pushing between 15-20 million smartphones 3-4 years ago, now... they sell around 2-4 mil. with the help of Symbian.. Q4 results are out on the 21st I think, so we will see.. but I don't expect more than 4 mil. Lumias sold, and that is nowhere near where that number needs to be in order to sustain a company of this size. Yes.. they did make a lot of cuts, so their expenses are down.. but still, they need to move more boxes.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-01-07 23:33
Nokia Android rumours again

http://www.wpcentral.com/stephen-elop-possibly-considering-android-were-skeptical
Phone?? What phone??
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-01-10 16:50
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia[....]uarter_last_year-news-5329.php

And things are starting to look a bit better for Nokia
Phone?? What phone??
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-01-11 01:17

On 2013-01-02 20:21:14, cu015170 wrote:
What makes you think that MS will be just continue to give money to Nokia ? It will make more sense to just buy the thing

Actually it would NOT!
Reason:
More employees on payroll (severance packages, Retirement Savings Plans, Stock investments, payouts - HUGE to CEO's and other executive staff, not to mention a 1 time bonus payout for the board members - just think at a Gold company board members for just 4hrs meeting get $20'000; this is NOT the largest Gold company either!! Now there are manufacturing plants, laws could quickly be ammended, back taxes, refiling costs to the FCC, and regulatory trading bodies ... you can imagine the administrative costs and hiring for 3mths to quickly and accurately complete this).

^ don't assume for a moment that this is just easy as throwing cash in!!!

Basically this is most likely information that was leaked from a board meeting to a lessor employee!! Offers happen ALL the time up your arse, sideways from your balls, and down the hatch - every which way past Sunday really. Forgive the foulness - but it happens more than we all would like to think or entertain. That is business!!

I'm VERY curious if this was to happen just how Nokia would transform their business and into WHICH business? Recall they started as an appliance company then into textile then suddenly (when they where KING in textiles but profits could grow no longer,) they changed to the mobile industry right at their infancy!

|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2013-01-11 05:28
^ they will either have to downsize further to match their income levels, or... figure out something else because this current situation isn't working out for them.

On 2013-01-10 16:50:24, Sean72 wrote:
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia[....]uarter_last_year-news-5329.php

And things are starting to look a bit better for Nokia

From 26+ million Symbians in 2010q4 to 4 million Windows Phones in 2012q4 ... very well done
[ This Message was edited by: cu015170 on 2013-01-11 04:37 ]
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2013-01-11 09:57
6.6 million smartphones, up from 6.3 previous quarter. 4.4 million Lumias, up from 2.9 previous quarter. Not bad at all but also shows the Lumia 920 has not been successful at all.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-01-11 11:07
Hmmm well ya gotta look at it from another angle. To start with there was the silly move by Nokia to have the 920 exclusive to some networks for a few months though that's ended now. It sold out in many places but Nokia simply didn't produce enough for demand and also many countries have said Christmas sales in stores have been only up 1%. A number of factors to think about. You cannot say after one short period the 920 is not a success.
Phone?? What phone??
TeeGee
Nokia Lumia 925
PM
Posted: 2013-01-12 15:16

On 2013-01-11 09:57:15, randomuser wrote:
Not bad at all but also shows the Lumia 920 has not been successful at all.

Nonsense, the Lumia 920 wasn't even available in most countries in Q4 2012.

Live and let live, how hard can it be ?
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2013-01-12 15:19

On 2013-01-12 15:16:13, TeeGee wrote:

On 2013-01-11 09:57:15, randomuser wrote:
Not bad at all but also shows the Lumia 920 has not been successful at all.

Nonsense, the Lumia 920 wasn't even available in most countries in Q4 2012.

Even though you may not want to accept the truth, fact is Lumia 920 has not been successful. But since you insist, let's discuss this after Q1 2013 results.
Marly
Apple iPhone 6
PM
Posted: 2013-01-12 16:30
Of course 4.4 million is nothing, compared to the sales figures of an iPhone i.e., when there's a new model out, Apple sells this amount in a weekend, but there's growth and that's important. TeeGee is right, the Lumia 920 isn't out yet in a lot of countries, and where it's launched, there aren't enough of them in the stores and not all colours are equally available. Launch in Germany was two months ago and still not all of the large shops have all colours available.
Launch here in the Netherlands was this month and the webshop, where my husband pre-ordered his 920, has had many pre-orders for this model, but they'll recieve the first phones next week, only in black and not even enough for all pre-orders! So, when someone decides today, he wants to order one, he'll have to wait till the next batch arrives. People, who pre-ordered one in red, yellow or white (like my hubby), will have to wait even longer, till the end of the month, or even the first week of february.
This doesn't help sales figures look good!
"America: please don’t be a Dumpfkopf"
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-01-12 17:10
In China which is a key market target for Nokia there is massive interest now for Nokia Windows 8 devices. I am not saying or really caring weather they sell more or less than Android or iOS but it is an improvement for Nokia and am sure they can continue to build on it
Phone?? What phone??
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2013-01-13 05:01
Until Nokia agrees on using Android, I see zero chances of Nokia recovering. Win Phone 8 just doesn't have a big enough market to get Nokia out of its troubles.

All 3 WP8 vendors are reporting less than expected sales - Nokia, HTC as well as Samsung.
[ This Message was edited by: randomuser on 2013-01-13 04:01 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-01-13 11:33
It's growing in popularity all the time and I don't even think MS want or expect to take over Android or iOS. As long as it continues to grow and maybe become 3rd in the market which I think it will then Nokia will survive. They still have other services and markets too and MS is hardly going to go under are they?? MS don't rely on their mobile market. The recent push in marketing by MS and Nokia has worked pretty well so far. Never before have I seen a rush of people in China snapping up 920's. It's too early to say imo. I don't think Nokia or HTC were expecting 4 million pre orders like Samsung or Apple have but imo it's a positive start

HTC WP 8S
AKA,Bonovox
[ This Message was edited by: Sean72 on 2013-01-13 10:37 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi