Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > NOKIA Predicted to Sell Mobile Business to Microsoft and Huawei

12  Next
Author NOKIA Predicted to Sell Mobile Business to Microsoft and Huawei
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2013-01-02 16:10
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Nokia appears to have finally turned a corner with the Lumia 920, a smartphone that is seemingly selling quite well after a string of early flops from the struggling smartphone maker. According to Keepskor founder and Forbes contributor Tristan Louis, however, Nokia’s recent efforts will ultimately be for naught. 2013 will see a great deal of movement in the mobile industry according to the executive, and Nokia’s departure from the handset market will be among the year’s most notable events.

http://bgr.com/2013/01/02/nok[....]ll-smartphone-business-279281/
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2013-01-02 16:51
Wow! I'll never believe it till it happens.

I don't doubt they have the ability to bounce back, it just takes time.
[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2013-01-02 15:53 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-01-02 17:30
I'll believe it when i see it. What else would they do if they didnt make phones ?? Nokia software ? Nokia drive.. only ??
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2013-01-02 17:31
I really don't see how they can "bounce back" ... they are too big to be selling 3-4 mil. smartphones per quarter, even with the added revenue from the maps and network segments they are still loosing money. They either need to downsize even further, maybe slightly bigger than HTC, or sell...

goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2013-01-02 17:47
They are were saying the same thing about Sony Ericsson a few years ago but 2013 looks like it could be see a turn around.

Nokia is a behemoth. Any turn around will be a monumental task but with Microsoft involved at least they have lots of money to throw around.
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2013-01-02 20:21
What makes you think that MS will be just continue to give money to Nokia ? It will make more sense to just buy the thing
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2013-01-03 04:19

On 2013-01-02 17:30:50, etaab wrote:
I'll believe it when i see it. What else would they do if they didnt make phones ?? Nokia software ? Nokia drive.. only ??

Well they can start selling Nokia Cameras running with pureview in it , I really wouldn't mind buying one if priced right.
[ This Message was edited by: reeflotz on 2013-01-03 03:30 ]
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2013-01-03 05:05
The only foreseeable way for Nokia to save itself is by turning to Android which unfortunately will never happen now. That's how Sony Ericsson / Sony survived otherwise at the rate they're going with slow updates & releases as well as bad marketing, the final nail should've sealed its coffin quite some time ago.
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
*Xperia V*White*Black MW600*Sandisk Mobile Ultra 64GB microSDXC*
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2013-01-03 08:12
Android is done.. Samsung makes the profits and the rest are fighting for whatever is left which isn't much. Just look at HTC and Sony.. compared to Samsung they make next to nothing.

So there is no way Nokia can compete with Samsung in the android realm..

I am really sad for Ericsson by the way... I don't like the fact that Sony took over one bit. The two companies that made all of this possible (Nokia and Ericsson), didn't play their cards right and now the American software cartel took over. The USofA controls 95% of the market.. all the rest are just there to provide the hardware for them.

For example, if Google decides to make Android proprietary, and use it only on Motorola devices...Samsung Mobile is done. What are they going to do ? Bada ? Good luck with that. Of course google are never going to do that since the more devices they have in circulation, the better for their core business, which is advertising.

Google's real customers are corporation which are willing to pay 40 bucks a click... the product their are selling is.. you and I.. clicks.. the more clicks, the better. That is the sad truth...

I really miss the days of unlocked phones.. no carrier subsidy.. no ads.. no one shoving phones in your hands telling you that that particular one is the best there is..
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-01-03 13:00
I dont think Android is by any means done. Samsung might be the biggest fish in the Android market but to be honest, they deserve it. They're the only company that offer such a wide range of various handsets for all budgets. Of those handsets, they're all pretty good.

Sony, HTC and the rest make less phones and the budget phones tend to be poor. So from them, its often the flagship or a rivals handset.

Samsung are just better at design, R&D, marketing, support - the whole bundle.

Only HTC have woken up this past twelve months and delivered something anywhere near as good as a Samsung product. The One X. Look at 2011 models, the SGS II and Sensation. The Sensation was a cheap, nasty, forgettable flagship. The SGS II is a high quality phone still almost two years on is still receiving updates.

The Sensation ? i can barely remember what it looks like.

On 2013-01-03 04:19:15, reeflotz wrote:

Well they can start selling Nokia Cameras running with pureview in it , I really wouldn't mind buying one if priced right.

I really cannot imagine that happening at all. Nokia would have to make Pureview DSLR cameras. The compact camera market is shrinking year on year so there would be no point in entering that market. Which is why companies like Kodak arent going to make cameras anymore.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-01-03 13:39
This is just rumours and bullshit. Things are looking up for Nokia recently.

HTC WP 8S
AKA,Bonovox
[ This Message was edited by: Sean72 on 2013-01-03 12:40 ]
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2013-01-03 13:50
This wouldn't surprise me if it were true, and if it does happen it will be another example of why it just isn't always a great idea to team up with Microsoft, they have a habit of ruining their partners and competitors in unforgivable ways.

cu015170
I agree with your 1st two posts, people seem to think MS are just going to continue to fund Nokia no matter what, they forget the fact that MS once did consider buying Nokia as a whole but backed out once they saw the poor state Nokia was in financially, at the end of the day MS is a business that's focused on making profit and satisfying its board, at some point the investors will begin or have begun I'm sure to pressure Balmer into doing something about Nokia, like loosen ties, and partner up with another OEM (Htc), and they ,may also just buy the mobile business.

I also can't see Nokia bouncing back to what they were, they had the chance and blew it BIG time, their biggest mistake was leaving Symbian and Maemo/MeeGo, they had a chance to reinvent the touch UI and mobile computing, and then Elop arrived.

However in terms of Android, your last post, I disagree ,and agree with Etaab, Android is nowhere near done, the Android arena is a dynamic one, yes, Samsung are totally owning right now, but go back 2years ago and it was Htc, everyone seems to forget that. Sony had their chance and they COMPLETELY F'D it up, everyone seems to be blaming Samsung for the other OEMs not making money, but just look at the crap some of these OEMs produce and put their customers through, it's no wonder Samsung are owning them. Sony for example are delaying updates and releasing too many flagships in one year. In 2012 alone we had Xperia S, Acro S and Xperia T, on the other hand we have LG who's update support near to non-existent even for flagships, Htc seem to be trying to comeback, Motorola are downsizing and seem to only be serving the US market, the only OEMs who seem to be making any sort of major inroads are the Chinese, once they sort out their distribution channels I can just see Huawei, ZTE and w few others posing a real threat to Samsung.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2013-01-03 16:25

On 2013-01-03 13:00:06, etaab wrote:

I really cannot imagine that happening at all. Nokia would have to make Pureview DSLR cameras. The compact camera market is shrinking year on year so there would be no point in entering that market. Which is why companies like Kodak arent going to make cameras anymore.

yeah I was just kidding, It's just that if this became true then all that research and breakthrough pureview did might just end up as a waste, don't know if microsoft has much use for it either.

I do agree with Tsepz, they should have stayed with symbian or meego, or I'd say if nokia did choose android during the time it was just starting to get popular, (when samsung just started using android and still had their bada OS wave phones) Nokia might've gotten a chance.
[ This Message was edited by: reeflotz on 2013-01-03 15:27 ]
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2013-01-04 21:37
Tsepz_GP may or may not remember around the time of the release of the N8 (Oct 2010), prior to Elop's Feb'11 burning platform statement we had quite a few strong words here on Esato about how i thought Symbian was still the best solution, whilst many thought it was dead compared to Android.

I said back then Symbian was still the best - and i still stand by that in many ways even though ive retired my old Symbian phones. Back then i thought Nokia should have done this, and i still think they should have done:

- Relegated Symbian to featurephone status and dump series 40

- Run Symbian 4 (never happened) AND / OR MeeGo as their flagship devices to take on the competition

- Run WP at the same time in case the above didnt work out.

Personally i dont think Nokia are going anywhere. WP8 is stunning, the new Lumia phones are stunning and it all makes the iPhone look old. Given a few more months or a year, WP8 should start making more dents in iOS market share as people wake up from the iOS brainwash.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2013-01-05 14:03
@etaab I say Samsung is great with software,marketing etc but definately not design
Phone?? What phone??
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi