djgydo
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2012-11-17 02:46
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Form
Samsung Galaxy S2 - 125.3x66.1x8.5mm, 116g

Sony Xperia S - 128x64x10.6mm, 144g

The Samsung Galaxy S2 launched this time last year but it's still up there as one of the more attractive looking handsets on the market with its imposing proportions and more angular styling.

Overall the design is minimalist, which makes everything look clean and modern, though it does have a textured back panel to spice things up a little.

The Sony Xperia S is a much striking device with next to no curvature or softening on the corners. In contrast to this the backpanel is completely smooth, which does provide some interesting contrast.

The other significant visual tweak is that the screen takes precedence over the bodywork, leading to a very thin bezel and a more ‘premium' look and feel.

We think Sony's device looks much smarter.

Winner - Sony Xperia S

Display
Samsung is traditionally pretty consistent at producing some top quality displays for its devices, so much so that other manufacturers, such as Nokia, even buy them for their own handsets too.

The Galaxy S2 uses Samsung's Super AMOLED Plus technology, which offers excellent picture quality, brightness, colour depth and is a bit more battery friendly than your avergae LCD panel.

The 4.3-inch multi-touch capacitive display is also reinforced with Corning's impressively resilient Gorilla Glass and boasts an 800x480 pixel WVGA resolution, giving a pixel density of 217 pixels-per-inch (ppi).

However Sony seems keen to take the South Korean manufacturer down a peg or two.

The Xperia S's display measures the same 4.3-inches as its Samsung rival and while its not Super AMOLED Plus, it still uses a fancy LED backlit LCD screen resulting in some sharp imagery.

As might be expected it's multi-touch capable, but what you might not expect is support for all 10 of your digits.

We can't quite fathom what kind of app we might need all 10 for but we suppose it's always nice to have the option and its certainly not something we're going to hold against the Xperia S.

It's also scratch-resistant and boasts a very impressive resolution of 1280x720 pixels, which is not something you see very often on a smartphone.

The pixel density comes at an astounding 342ppi, which is higher than even the Apple iPhone's acclaimed, and significantly smaller, Retina display.

We have to commend Sony here for producing a brilliantly high-spec display.

Winner - Sony Xperia S

Storage
Samsung's Galaxy S2 has two storage options. You've got a choice of either 16GB or 32GB and either one you choose comes with 1GB of RAM and a microSD slot for up to an additional 32GB of card storage.

Sony's new handset only has the one option but it's an ample 32GB and 1GB of RAM. Unfortunately, Sony has decided to forego the usual card slot on this particular model, which is a bit of a shame.

Samsung is holding the trump card for this round with its microSD capability.

Winner - Samsung Galaxy S2

Processor
Inside the Galaxy S2 is a 1.2GHz dual core ARM Cortex-A9 processor running on Samsung's brilliant Exynos chipset alongside a Mali-400MP graphics processing unit (GPU).

It might not have the fastest clock speed on the market but thanks to the chipset and GPU combo this setup is still one of the better performing hardware configurations currently available.

The Xperia S is also a dual core device loaded with a 1.5GHz Qualcomm processor on the MSM8260 Snapdragon chipset and features Qualcomm's new Adreno 220 GPU, which should pack quite a punch.

We think this qualifies as a draw as both phones are capable of high-end performance.

Winner - Draw

Operating System
Both handsets are currently running Android 2.3 Gingerbread but are due to be updated to Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 at some point this year, which should offer a performance boost and a much quicker and more intuitive user interface.

These devices are on an equal footing in this context as well.

Winner - Draw

Camera
The Samsung Galaxy S2 may not have the absolute best 8-megapixel camera out there but it's certainly one of the better ones available, showing the majority of contemporary handsets how it's done.

The resolution clocks in at 3264x2448 pixels and camera features include 1080p video capture, an LED flash, geo-tagging, autofocus, touch focus, image stabilisation and face and smile detection. There's also a reasonably good 2-megapixel secondary camera on the front.

Sony has come straight out of left field with the Xperia S, taking no prisoners with a 12-megapixel beast of a primary camera sporting a 4000x3000 pixel resolution and an Exmor R CMOS sensor.

Features wise it has the same setup as the Galaxy S2 for still images, plus the addition of 3D ‘sweep' panoramic capture.

Again, we were impressed with the quality of its predecessor, the Xperia Arc S, in this category and with that pedigree it should deliver some pretty snazzy pictures.

For video it can capture in 1080p on the primary camera and features continuous autofocus, a video light and video stabilisation. The 1.3-megapixel secondary camera can also capture video in 720p.

Sony is offering one of the most competitive camera set-ups we've seen for some time on the Xperia S so we've no qualms about voting it the winner in this round.

Winner - Sony Xperia S

Final Thoughts
Sony has come close to toppling Samsung's Galaxy S2 from its perch. It doesn't quite achieve this and we'd mainly pin that on the lack of a microSD card so instead it ends up sitting awkwardly on the same branch in this weird phones-as-birds metaphor we've created.

Regardless, It's on an equal footing in terms of the operating system and processing power but has sharper looks, a far superior camera and a much better display.

All in all we have to say that if we were pushed we'd likely go with the Xperia S over the Galaxy S2.

javascript:void(0)sony xperia s wins :3
samsung galaxy s2 wins:1
draws :2

for everyone who thinks the samsung galaxy s2 is still better then read this topic you will be told wrong.
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-11-17 14:29
Why compare against Galaxy S2 when the Galaxy S3 has been out for a while? Also the Xperia S has pretty much been replaced by the Xperia T now so why review older handsets?
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
djgydo
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2012-11-18 02:03
because the s3 will own the sony xperia s but i can do if you want me to compare to the samsung galaxy s3
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-11-18 08:15
I find it pretty hilarious that a phone released in early 2011 is compared to one that was released in 2012, it actually says a lot about how excellent the Galaxy S2 was and still is, and the best part being that the S2 should get Android JellyBean in the coming weeks is the icing on the cake .

Its fine, dont do a S3 comparison, there are more than enough reviews out there with pics and videos and proper comparison shots, rather post a link.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2012-11-18 11:34
I would choose the S2 over the XS any day. Have had both phones and the S2 is the superior
S4k1s
Sony Xperia Z5
PM
Posted: 2012-11-18 13:16

On 2012-11-18 11:34:11, rikken wrote:
I would choose the S2 over the XS any day. Have had both phones and the S2 is the superior

The SII is inferior in all ways except storage (if you are one of those that changes sd cards - not many around doing that) and thinness.

If you guys took the time to read the comparison you would understand its from early this year, April/May.

Compared to the SIII, in my opinion, the XS is on par with the SIII on many points and even better on some but lacks behind in CPU/GPU(/RAM on some models). This clearly makes the SIII the more "future proof" phone but that don't make the XS a bad phone for 2012/2013h1). The overall experience and value of the phone is still good.

Question, what good is great CPU power if the screen (what you actually use the most) sux (penitile)?
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-11-18 15:38
Rikken
+1 Indeed, ive played with XS a few times and what really got to me was how much less fluid the Sony ICS UI was, while the S2 is incredlbly smooth. Also, looking GSMArena's batt tests it seems the S2 also has much better battery life. The GPU in the S2 also gives the XS GPU quite a beating.

S4k1s
At such a high PPI the Pentile's drawbacks are minimal the S3's display is spectacular. Other than the S3's better CPU/GPU , there's the S3's UI, battery life, Memory variants, better Media support (DivX, Xvid, Avi, FLAC), software update support etc.... The S3 and XS simply arent in the same league, the XS was outdated the day of launch.
S4k1s
Sony Xperia Z5
PM
Posted: 2012-11-18 16:04

On 2012-11-18 15:38:50, Tsepz_GP wrote:
Rikken
+1 Indeed, ive played with XS a few times and what really got to me was how much less fluid the Sony ICS UI was, while the S2 is incredlbly smooth. Also, looking GSMArena's batt tests it seems the S2 also has much better battery life. The GPU in the S2 also gives the XS GPU quite a beating.

S4k1s
At such a high PPI the Pentile's drawbacks are minimal the S3's display is spectacular. Other than the S3's better CPU/GPU , there's the S3's UI, battery life, Memory variants, better Media support (DivX, Xvid, Avi, FLAC), software update support etc.... The S3 and XS simply arent in the same league, the XS was outdated the day of launch.

It's not an opinion that the SIII screen is , it's a fact. If you read a lot of text - true fonts - on your phone you will notice it and be bothered after a while, unless you are half blind. Better media support etc. is bullshit, up to this date there is nothing a SIII can do that a XS can't do. Small apps will come in next update - I hope, and all the formats you named are supported by the XS. Calling the XS outdated at launch is just pure ignorance. UI is again a matter of personal opinion, not a measurable fact. One could call the XS GUI minimalistic crap and one could call the SGIII GUI bloated crap, it's still opinions not facts. Battery life I have no idea, the XS lasts a day and that is, not good, but OK. We could go back and forth discussing opinions but at the end of the day it is about needs and packaging - the overall experience. And lets be fair, the SGIII isn't today the Monster the SGII was last year compared to the competition, it's a minor update.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-11-18 16:52
It's not an opinion that the SIII screen is ,it's a fact.

Sorry, but thats your opinion , i do a lot of reading on my S3 and the display is just fine, theres millions of Galaxy Nexus ,Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note, Note2 etc...users who will tell you the same, and no, im not half blind.

Calling XS outdated at launch isn't ignorance, it really was, except for its screen and camera, it has the same old Qualcomm CPU from the HTC Sensation and Evo 3D.

Nobody said the GS3 is as far ahead as S2 was last year, but it sure has once again set the benchmark, it and Note2 still have the fastest and most fluid Android UI outside the Nexus line.
S4k1s
Sony Xperia Z5
PM
Posted: 2012-11-18 17:20
Whatever makes you happy Tsepz_GP.
marshallaido
Model not set
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-01-05 10:11
Samsung Galaxy S2 will make more difference and superior than Xperia
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-01-05 10:26
I wouldn't even wonder and take X S but that's just me.
Afaik it would be fair to compare XT - SGSIII.
And that's fine.
a w a r e
djgydo
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2013-02-16 07:47

On 2013-01-05 10:26:07, doministry wrote:
And that's fine.

i will put up a comparison now
worf1000
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-02-16 11:17

On 2012-11-18 11:34:11, rikken wrote:

The S2 superior!!!!! superior in what? Why you Sammy fans keep arguing superior this and that and never explain withs is?

Second, the S2 is just a Iphone clone nothing special.
You have both of them, sure the XS eat the S2 alive how your turn it down i don't know.
worf1000
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-02-16 11:23

On 2013-02-16 07:47:18, djgydo wrote:

On 2013-01-05 10:26:07, doministry wrote:
And that's fine.

i will put up a comparison now

Many people experience is the Xperia T faster and better cam, built quality screen is way better than oversaturate colors from Samsung. Te Xperia T put SGS3 in shame. SGS3 is 100% marketing about the overhyped exynos 5 processor and people always get indoctrinated from cell phones sellers to talk how good the SGS3 is and it has quadcore and later those people get a bonus from Samsung.

This is the way how Samsung works, they paid people for selling their phones and reviews.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi