Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > LG Nexus 4 announced. Google's next reference smartphone

Previous  123 ... 567 ... 121314  Next
Author LG Nexus 4 announced. Google's next reference smartphone
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-11-19 14:05
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Despite the LTE chip in the N4, not even hackers will be able to get it to work due to other missing hardware and software:
http://www.androidcentral.com[....]n-t-magically-grow-lte-support
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-11-19 15:14
LG have potential and have had for a long time. You only gotta look at the Optimus G etc
Phone?? What phone??
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-11-19 17:22
Review here

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Google-Nexus-4-Review_id3192
Phone?? What phone??
rickster2kuk
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2012-11-19 20:11
Had a play with one in CPW today:

Screen is lovely, admittedly it was on 100pc brightness and when I switched on auto it dimmed, still no issues with regards to it appearing washed out as some reviews said.

Very, slick, stock Android is really nice and the phone is very zippy and fluid.

Design didn't sell me totally, size wise it's fine, but it does have a bit of depth and feels a little bulky.

Again, as Phonearena review has highlighted, the camera is a real let-down and a dealbreaker for me - shame really.

For the price though, if you're not fussed about the camera, this is a steal.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-11-19 20:16
If you can get one
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-11-19 21:51

On 2012-11-19 00:23:21, Hardened wrote:
it's amazing the initial shock of no LTE from the Android faithful commity at large had, then the quickness of the sweeping forgives leading to purchases. You'd see no forgiveness of iPhone 4S not having LTE from them just a few months ago

You're quite wrong. Have you not seen THIS THREAD ? The majority of us here on Esato at least couldnt care less about LTE connectivity.

Especially here in the UK. The tarrifs for 4G are such bad value for money even in the iPhone 5 its a waste of technology because only people with plenty of money will be able to afford it or very light users who want fast downloads but are happy to use very little bandwith anyway.

So your point, in the UK at least, is pretty pointless.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-11-19 22:19
O2 selling it for £399

http://shop.o2.co.uk/mobile_phone/pay_and_go/init/LG/Nexus_4
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2012-11-19 21:22 ]
Phone?? What phone??
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-11-19 23:08
Techno Buffalo unboxing

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QdwsZugwfAg
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-11-20 13:10

On 2012-11-19 14:05:40, Tsepz_GP wrote:
Despite the LTE chip in the N4, not even hackers will be able to get it to work due to other missing hardware and software:

Thats typical LG, which is why i never buy LG phones. They're not an efficient company their snail pace firmware updates with Android prove this.

No, its where they've cheated and used hardware from another device ? i would rather have paid more (if i bought one) and used the space to rip out the waste of space chip and put in a SD card slot !
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-11-20 15:22

On 2012-11-19 14:05:40, Tsepz_GP wrote:

It doesn't make any sense to include a chip on the mobo, to save costs because its on the same production line ... the chip can just simply NOT be sodered onto the Mobo (1 less step in producing the said mobo) which would then equal cheaper costs. Each component has a set/net cost associated to it ... reduce the orders for that Qualcomm chip and increase the revenues. I believe the antennae are already there - the chip, for the most part, determines what the antennae can do - the antennae just needs to support it. I'm still hopeful even if minimal.

Etaab,

Good point about the tarifs in UK. But the world doesn't only revolve around the UK, or the USA for that matter. For the most part LTE in the USA/Canada doesn't cost a premium over HSPA monthly rates for competitive top tier providers. Hopefully as LTE becomes more prevalent in coverage, UK provider costs to utilize it will be cheaper. For me ... LTE only has a use when using the phone as a modem over the WLAN chip (802.11n) ... since applications (at least on iOS cannot use the extra bandwidth, as of yet). I think LTE is just a marketing cash grab currently.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Caspa
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2012-11-21 19:46
@etaab

Think the blame should be directed at Google, they seem to be the driving force for this device. Definitely right on the LTE costs, it really isn't appealing at moment in the UK. I don't think it will be until there is competition.

I have a love hate relationship with those EE adverts, like the concept and Kevin Bacons delivery, but they take it too far with the wow factor!

@Hardened

Took me a while to read your post correctly, kept on seeing 'mobo' as the Mobo Awards! A UK award show for 'Music of Black Origin'.

There wont be any real cost reduction until all of the providers are offering it, currently it is just one who has been given the go ahead to use some of their redundant spectrum. We're still waiting for the Government to actually auction off the 4G licenses, and if the 3G ones were anything to go by, that in itself wont help with costs to consumers.

PS - Never change your phone avatar or I'll have no chance of remembering you're a long time resident!
[ This Message was edited by: Caspa on 2012-11-21 18:50 ]
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-11-22 03:26
LOL I won't change my avatar ... if I could rock a T-39M with a colour screen today I think I would when going out to the clubs. The join date in our avatars shows how long we've been here - I just realized you've joined longer than I have ... did you have a different name before?

You're absolutely right on the spectrum auction - funny how that is as the UK led the way with 3G and now its the USA with LTE very odd. Maybe the spectrum is harder to come by or something else has been limiting.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-11-22 10:29
The reason why we're behind in the LTE sector in the UK is beause we've only just this past year turned off the TV analogue signal that LTE in the UK uses.

So, the US had LTE before it was even possible in the UK, or at least before it was easily implemented AFAIK. Its still going to take a good year or longer for it to become mainstream.

BTW when i said the majority of us here on Esato think LTE is pointless at the moment, i meant in the fact the most of us who comment (or moan) in that thread are from the UK about the UK LTE network and how Ofcom are dealing with the matter.
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2012-11-22 09:30 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-11-22 20:44
See here

http://www.gsmarena.com/nexus[....]surprising_price-news-5111.php
Phone?? What phone??
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-11-23 13:07