Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 575859 ... 122712281229  Next
Author SONY Xperia Rumors 2013 Edition
smclion102
T610
PM
Posted: 2012-11-13 08:24
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Samsung has made lot of name with "galaxy" brand that's y S3 sold well and other obvious reasons most of the android gadget sites love samsung.Its either Apple or Samsung they give a crap about other companies especially SONY.I dont understand the hate around SONY they are not badass company but they never made bad phone.
Most of the reviews about sony devices are so biased how will ppl buy sony phone if they write shit about sony phones.
Hope with 2013 phones everybody will stop writing crap and use their brains for once atleast.
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2012-11-13 08:41

On 2012-11-13 07:46:59, randomuser wrote:
Not yet in USA. They will by the end of next year.

Anyway, I am trying to get more info on how S4 Quad krait will measure up against Samsung Exynos 5450.

As there's no A15 Quads out there yet, we can only speculate when comparing dual Krait to dual A15, the gain we will have from A15 over Krait in Quad should be a little bit less than 2x than what it will be in Dual...

But in GPU wise, we need to know more...

The problem with Qualcomm is while they bring Krait before A15 and they gained some time with higher performance than A9, they need more time to bump it's clock more to match or exceed A15... if they can work harder to have it early it will be better...

The second problem with Sony and Qualcomm, is that the later gives Sony a second priority over other competitors, so they bring the chips later than earlier making the time gap even shorter between Sony releasing a high-end S4 based phone and Samsung or other bringing high-end A15 phone...

for example see when did HTC launched their One X and S compared to Sony's T & TX ?? If Sony had T/TX in 1H12 it will be awesome !!
I know the situation is better now but still, LG already selling their Quad Krait Optimus G, and also their Nexus 4 and this is almost 5-6 months before Sony will have their Quad Krait offerings... I bet Qualcomm made this as LG will made the Nexus so Qualcomm can ship enough chips to them in order to not put Nexus 4 in a shortage... and I know Nexus 4 will come to some regions much faster than how fast Sony will bring their's to these same regions ( like Middle East, Optimus G already started to appear while XT is nothing !! and Note 2 was already in the market for more than one month !! ) So I can expect Yuga to be in Middle East in late 1H13.. and this too close for Samsung S4 to arrive !!
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2012-11-13 08:55
So after some research, it seems Yuga and GSIV will not have a huge difference in performance. It will be similar to Xperia S - Galaxy SII story. GSIV will be about 10-15% better in Graphics benchmarks. Application performance should be about the same with GS4 leading in most benchmarks.

But if Sony uses the ST-Ericsson A9600 chip in the Q4 flagship, it will annihilate the GS4 and the rest of the competition.
marcink
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2012-11-13 09:53
Randomuser, A9600? Will it be ready in 2013? Q4 2013 product is no threat to SGSIV sales, and Also Sammy is like a boxing champ. To beat it, Sony needs to launch a superior product. And the problem is Krait's performance is somewhere between A9 and A15 cores, so it'll be smth like 15-25% difference in benmark results. And APQ 8xxx is not that energy efficient with additional HSPA/LTE chip. To me, the only possible advantage for Sony could be a january/february release.
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2012-11-13 10:13
Yeah, the A9600 is dual A15 @2.5GHz, this should be better or equal than a Quad A15 @1.5-1.7, some will say how but it's all related to real world applications...
justus333
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2012-11-13 12:18
I think all those perfomance related discussions are futile!
Nowadays phones are successful because of the overall package, the user friendliness and the "sex appeal". Also the software packages, the quality of the apps is decisive.
I have the T now and it is super fast, it does everything very well and it well designed. True the IPhone 5 or the Samsung 3 open a webpage a split second faster or load game xy a bit faster but who will ever notice that or give a rats ass about that?

IMO Sony, to be on par with the big ones dont need to be better, faster, just keep on working a little more on the little things. Then they will succeed again and sell a lot of phones.
It´s like with computers, before it was important to get the newest hardware to be able to work with the newer software even.
Today Im still working (professionally) on a 5 year old Mac Pro and it still does everything fast and reliable.

The future of smartphones will be the same.
For me the killer feature would be a battery life that lasts 2-3 days under heavy usage but again not if an application loads a millisecond faster...
Already with the T, Sony has come very close....
sighduck
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-11-13 14:51
Looking at Sony's flagship strategy:

A Q1/Q2 flagship
A Q4 flagship

I wasn't a fan of this strategy before but I'm beginning to think it's smart of Sony, but only if the Q1/Q2 offering is a very strong, competitive one AND comes out early with no delays.

If you think about it, with Sony releasing what looks like a very good phone in the Yuga/Odin, they will have one of the best phones of the year for about 6-9 months (regardless of competitors like HTC Droid DNA, GS4, and iPhone 6 which will only improve on it by a bit). With a strong marketing push, reviews, and word of mouth, this means that they will have great flagship sales numbers for the first 9 months of the year. By Q4, even if the Yuga/Odin were surpassed by any HTC, Apple, or Samsung phones during the spring or summer, the Q4 flagship will take care of that and further surpass those other phones and release a hot, new phone just in time for the holidays, a great time for sales.

If Sony releases the Yuga/Odin before the GS4 (however it looks like HTC will beat them to the 1080p 5" with the Droid DNA), they can capture a lot of the Android mindshare by releasing a great phone with nice Sony design and great hardware. The Sony design is a great leverage for Sony mobile, but it's been the hardware that held them back. Now with an ultra-competitive flagship with all the weight of Sony behind it, they can really rise to the top of Android world by releasing early in the year. Come Q4, the successor of Yuga/Odin will release, and Sony can capitalize on the huge hype that will surround their brand again with the release of next generation Playstation and THE 2013 flagship Xperia. I have no doubt Sony will reach their 50 million smartphone sales number and even surpass it.

Thoughts?
[ This Message was edited by: sighduck on 2012-11-13 13:51 ]
Detox
W800
PM
Posted: 2012-11-13 16:15
@coolkid8689: Sorry for my late reply, yes, I was just referring to randomuser's post, nothing else .

@vivftp: Thank you for pointing zomgbbqftw's post out, a very interesting read .

With all this talk about the Q4 2013 flagship, the question arises how long the lifespan of it will be. I mean, CES 2014 will be around the corner... Will they come with something better or won't they in favor of the Q4 2013 flagship and let it reign for a longer time ? I know it's a bit early, but as I said, the question arises...
[ This Message was edited by: Detox on 2012-11-13 15:20 ]
Phones:
W800i | K800i | K850i | W902 | Xperia S | Xperia Z1 Compact | Xperia Z5 Compact | Xperia XZ1 Compact
Firmwares:
R1AA008 | R1CB001 | R1EA031 | R3EA037 | 6.2.B.1.96 | 14.4.A.0.157 | 32.4.A.1.54 | 47.2.A.11.228
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2012-11-13 16:17
@Detox

I think that's what happened this year as well. Xperia T/TX/V came out in Q4 and at CES there will be new models. That doesn't mean they will have a short lifespan. They will continue to sell throughout most of 2013.

Same with the Q4 13 flagship.

But yes I think Sony should come out with 1 all conquering flagship like Apple. Something like this -

5 inch OLED Full HD or Crystal LED screen
16 megapixel camera sensor from the T series cybershot with cybershot lens + Dual LED plasma flash
4 GB RAM ( Just to overshadow GSIV's 3GB RAM)
Sony custom Quad Cortex A15 2.5 ghz CPU and custom 16 core GPU modified from PS Vita
Water/Dust Resistant
3000mAh + battery with portable sheet battery like Vaios
2 megapixel Exmor R Full HD front camera
Carbon Fiber and Aluminum body
Monolithic front with DragonTail Glass
Wacom Digitizer
Android 4.2 as well as AOSP
S-Master MX Digital Amplifier/Walkman Audio
IR Remote

Something like this will allow them to have the BEST smartphone for a good 1 year before competition can catch up.
[ This Message was edited by: randomuser on 2012-11-13 15:23 ]
stedus
Apple iPhone
PM
Posted: 2012-11-13 17:37
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/13/htc-droid-dna-verizon/
HTC Droid DNA with 2020 mAh battery for Sprint
Maybe HTC will announce the international version for this at CES next yr =.=
direct competitor to Yuga
Indiandawg
Apple iPhone
PM
Posted: 2012-11-13 18:07
@randomuser I don't think any smartphone company can come out with those specs till 2014 but if it happens, Wow!
T200 -> T68i -> T610 -> K700i -> P910i -> W800i -> P990i -> M600i -> P1-> Nokia E71 -> X1i -> X10 -> Arc S -> Sony Z1 -> Sony Z Ultra -> Sony Z3+ -> iPhone 6 -> iPhone 7 Plus -> iPhone X -> iPhone XS Max
itsjustJOH
Sony Xperia L
PM
Posted: 2012-11-13 20:03
HTC Droid DNA is out, with a 10-minute 2020 mAh battery. Sony should make Yuga and Odin available right after the announcement and not let the consumers wait for 3 months (or 6 months, not another Ion please) before it gets released if they don't want to be overshadowed by the GSIV. They should also pump up their marketing strategy, but probably not as much as Sammy's hype, yet. Look at the LG Optimus G and the Nexus 4, good marketing by Google and BOOM! Nexus 4 sold out in 30 minutes, and the Optimus G's hype got stale. For the Q4 flagship, I hope they don't make the announcement in IFA, or in any other convention. They should have their own day, like how the top 2 guys do it.
[ This Message was edited by: itsjustJOH on 2012-11-13 19:06 ]
lolstebbo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-11-13 20:03

On 2012-11-13 16:15:12, Detox wrote:
With all this talk about the Q4 2013 flagship, the question arises how long the lifespan of it will be. I mean, CES 2014 will be around the corner... Will they come with something better or won't they in favor of the Q4 2013 flagship and let it reign for a longer time ? I know it's a bit early, but as I said, the question arises...
[ This Message was edited by: Detox on 2012-11-13 15:20 ]

I think it makes sense to have a H1 batch of phones and an H2 batch of phones. Release a flagship, a mid-range, and a low-end in H1, and then refresh the flagship while plugging in some niche markets in H2. They kinda did that in 2011 (which I think was just a great year for them in terms of product planning but not necessarily product marketing).
nikos_se
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2012-11-13 20:17

On 2012-11-13 16:17:29, randomuser wrote:
@Detox

I think that's what happened this year as well. Xperia T/TX/V came out in Q4 and at CES there will be new models. That doesn't mean they will have a short lifespan. They will continue to sell throughout most of 2013.

Same with the Q4 13 flagship.

But yes I think Sony should come out with 1 all conquering flagship like Apple. Something like this -

5 inch OLED Full HD or Crystal LED screen
16 megapixel camera sensor from the T series cybershot with cybershot lens + Dual LED plasma flash
4 GB RAM ( Just to overshadow GSIV's 3GB RAM)
Sony custom Quad Cortex A15 2.5 ghz CPU and custom 16 core GPU modified from PS Vita
Water/Dust Resistant
3000mAh + battery with portable sheet battery like Vaios
2 megapixel Exmor R Full HD front camera
Carbon Fiber and Aluminum body
Monolithic front with DragonTail Glass
Wacom Digitizer
Android 4.2 as well as AOSP
S-Master MX Digital Amplifier/Walkman Audio
IR Remote

Something like this will allow them to have the BEST smartphone for a good 1 year before competition can catch up.
[ This Message was edited by: randomuser on 2012-11-13 15:23 ]

I'm also looking forward on s-master mx on xperia smartphones,it will raise the bar in sound quality on the smartphone market(that's where the money are,noone gives above 200$ for a walkman player).

Crystal Led is still a concept,that has yet to be commercialized so i don't see that happening anytime soon(oled is definitely coming)

I don't expect huge batteries from sony,but it would be really awesome if they did it.

They definitely need to bring camera experts from the cybershot department to enhance their smartphone camera quality,it will be really a shame if they don't(Apple with zero background in photography is setting standards).

dragontail glass should be interesting,since everybody is using gorilla glass(However sony is already using gorilla glass on their bravia TVs so they might stick to that for smartphones as well).

All in all,i believe that sony has the resources to create a flagship smartphone.As Apple and Samsung proved,a company doesn't need to have 20 smartphones in the market to do well.It only takes 2-3 models to set records.
DACHA
Sony Xperia ZL
PM
Posted: 2012-11-13 21:44
Yuga is said to be a waterproof and dustproof handset that will be released on shelves at NTT DOCOMO in Japan with the model number C6603 attached to it in Q1 2013.

Does anybody else think that the lower bezel is on the large side?
[ This Message was edited by: DACHA on 2012-11-13 23:11 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 575859 ... 122712281229  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic