Esato

Forum > General discussions > Rumours > SONY Xperia Rumors 2013 Edition

Author SONY Xperia Rumors 2013 Edition
apolloa
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2013-09-18 15:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Save me having to look, can anyone tell me about the latest rumours of the Xperia Z1 Mini? I am pretty interested in this phone but only if it has the same camera as the Z1 and memory expansion, and a decent processor.

EDIT: Ah I see, Sony Ray 3, a quick google doesn't show much that I don't already know, so am I right in thinking CES may be when it's announced? Or are the indications that it will be announced this year?
[ This Message was edited by: apolloa on 2013-09-18 14:38 ]
-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-18 16:25
I wonder if Sony would every consider developing their own SoC, using an ARM v8 instruction set.
Qualcomm are very good, but their Krait Cores, tend to not be as quick as the custom designed Swift Cores that Apple make, and certainly can't compete with the 5s' 64-bit Cyclone Cores. Not to mention their GPU's always tend to be inferior to Imagination Tech's PowerVR GPU's.

DACHA
Sony Xperia ZL
PM
Posted: 2013-09-18 17:11

MyP910
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-09-18 17:24

On 2013-09-18 02:36:40, Shotokan81 wrote:
Thanks, I just did.

Design wise, it is getting closer to what I want, although it seemed on the pics that is has a fan, I would prefer a ipad like design without fans. I think it is doable as the mac book air or surface do not have fans that I know of.

Software wise, it sports windows 8 which is a deal breaker for me. One could say you can try and install ubuntu touch yourself, but I do not have time to learn how to do this, understand it cannot work for everybody.

So interesting, the lines are blurrier and blurrier between the andoid/arm "tablet" and the windows/x86 "tab". I am unsure how long the industry will manage to keep this artificial border.

I am not a supporter of ubuntu in particular, but i do hope at least a few makers will leverage ubuntu touch and give us a choice between x86 and arm where we can basically choose between processing power and battery life while keeping the same OS.

Sony Vaio Tap 11 is sooo much better than surface pro (note: surface pro is different from surface RT). The new Vaio Tap 11 is almost like ipad thickness (9.9mm without keyboard) and very light (780gm without keyboard). Please bear in mind this is a full fledge PC running on Intel Haswell processor (i3, i5 or i7) with windows 8 full version (not RT). I don't think Intel processor (i series) can run without fan or ventilation.

I believe you can install Ubuntu as a dual boot system on it since it is just like normal PC. This is a PC at the size of a tablet that can run heavy weight application (e.g. adobe photoshop, premier, Matlab, 3D software, AutoCAD etc).

Vaio Tap 11 is currently the thinnest and lightest PC. You can't compare with arm based tablet, it is totally different.
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2013-09-18 17:26
I'm guessing the Z2 would arrive at MWC 2014 (last week of february) which would fit with well with a 6m schedule.
Shotokan81
Apple iPhone 3GS
PM
Posted: 2013-09-18 17:55

On 2013-09-18 17:24:01, MyP910 wrote:
I don't think Intel processor (i series) can run without fan or ventilation.

Man, you are right.
Macbook air has a fan, however, it is so elegantly hidden in the design that i never noticed it.
I found this link for those who would not know:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardow[....]-Inch-Mid-2011-Teardown/6130/1

I would then hope for a sony tab design as elegant as a mac book air, that makes the end user forget about the fan. Would be the perfect companion for work on business trips.

You can't compare with arm based tablet, it is totally different.

Yes we can!
I mean, yes it is different, and this is why we can compare.
I would have more issues comaring two identical things.
Arm does not need ventilation (now i get it), allowing waterproofing. Arm has longer battery life.
I series are more powerful and allows you to do some real work like video editing.

I believe you can install Ubuntu as a dual boot system on it since it is just like normal PC.

I also believe I can, but I know I won't, not enough time, not anymore.
More important and interesting things to do.
Also, i do not need dual boot, i currently work on osx, and does not need windows.
So, if i switch, it could be for a machine supporting ubuntu or any distro out of the box with full maker hardware support, on a decent spec, not a netbook or ultrabook.

Finally, I agree the vaio tab is elegant and good for some people and i am not the majority.

@XYZ: very unlikely IMO, Apple must pay Arm an arm and a leg to be authorised to build their own designs and to build and maintain their design team. Sony needs to spend their money smartly as they say, this would be too big an investment.
本当に良い刀は鞘に入っている
MyP910
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-09-18 18:02
^^ honestly, between MacBook air and Vaio tap 11, I prefer Vaio design more and you don't have to worry with the Vaio fan because based on Vaio Duo 11, you will not hear any fan sound and you will not feel any heat from the notebook. I actually quite impress on this. How do they manage to do it in a slim body.
Shotokan81
Apple iPhone 3GS
PM
Posted: 2013-09-18 18:08

On 2013-09-18 18:02:12, MyP910 wrote:
^^ honestly, between MacBook air and Vaio tap 11, I prefer Vaio design more and you don't have to worry with the Vaio fan because based on Vaio Duo 11, you will not hear any fan sound and you will not feel any heat from the notebook. I actually quite impress on this. How do they manage to do it in a slim body.

I wish for sony they can sell more vaio tab than apple sells mac book air.
However, for me, and it seems for many buyers in the market, windows 8 is a dealbreaker.

Sorry for the off topic, i wish sony prepares ubuntu touch tablets, wether it is xperia (on topic) or vaio (off topic) the border is thin, although i understand the computing power difference.
[ This Message was edited by: Shotokan81 on 2013-09-18 17:09 ]
本当に良い刀は鞘に入っている
maiaramdan
Sony Xperia ZL
PM
Posted: 2013-09-18 22:46

On 2013-09-18 17:26:32, ascariss wrote:
I'm guessing the Z2 would arrive at MWC 2014 (last week of february) which would fit with well with a 6m schedule.

Z2 will come at the last week of May start selling at July or even those schedule can be push further
Felimenta97
Sony Xperia S
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-18 23:47
@Shotokan81

I'm not going against your opinion, and saying "no, this is better, your opinion is horrible", this is my opinion.

Could you tell me why you rather install Ubuntu on it?

I ask because I see no reason for it (some kind of developing, maybe?).

With Sony's version of Windows 8(.1), you have all of the things Windows has to offer, integrated with the device's hardware, plus everything else that Sony includes, both hardware and software that requires the Windows 8.

For example, the Sony Media Apps for Windows, just like the Android counterparts, or some sound and camera features that require some level of software to work propely. For example, a friend of mine had to do a clean install of his Sony Vaio notebook, and thus he lost the Sony OEM version of Windows 8. With that, 2 of 4 speakers weren't working anymore...

Windows, besides being the most used desktop/notebook OS in the world, seems the most mature of the rest (OSX doesn't count as it is Apple only)...

And, everyone, sorry for off topic...
I don't get people. Never Have, never will.
Shotokan81
Apple iPhone 3GS
PM
Posted: 2013-09-19 00:41
Hi Feli, no worries.

I guess it is primarilly a matter of taste, I do not like the metro interface.

I stopped purchasing windows products with my last vista pc.
I was already not completely happy with XP because of all the patches, antivirus, etc, which makes your pc slow down.
And I do not like re installing the OS to have it fast for another 2 weeks.

I replaced it by linux, and the same pc is much faster, and i can do everything i need, there are tons of free programs for many usage. The only problem is, i had a hard time installing it, as japanese PCs always have some specific components not reckognised by default in linux. So i know it can be long and frustrating to do it yourself, so would i get linux again, i want it to be preinstalled and the pc maker to support all the drivers (worst case i would try the likes of zareason...).

I ended up on OS-X currently.
It is not perfect, but it works for me, it did not lose speed and i like the interface, minus some annoying stuff like CTRL X...
Overall i find it stable, fast and fun, but less free programs than linux, that partially compensate by macports, although a bit clunky to install xtools, but you can get fantastic programms for free like kdenlive.

Now i know windows seven is better experience than vista, i have it at work.
The first problem for microsoft is that thanks to the vista release, now i know i have free alternatives for windows, so i do not need to pay for an experience that is overall as good. The second problem is that windows 8 is not windows seven, and metro is ugly as hell. So, would i pay for my OS, i then prefer osx, more intuitive than metro.

This leaves me today without a powerfull tablet like companion, but as ubuntu touch is coming, i hope one maker at least will pick it up, so i can wait and not rush into buying a windows 8 powered tablet.
本当に良い刀は鞘に入っている
sami92a
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-19 00:56
I heard from someone i know who is VERY close to Sony that one of the prototypes of Z2 have a 4K screen!
DexterMoser
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2013-09-19 01:41
^
Galaxy S4 (S600)
Looking forward to the Sony Xperia Z4 (or 5)
Feynman about Beauty
apolloa
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2013-09-19 02:01
So is their any info on when the Ray 3 will be launched?
Felimenta97
Sony Xperia S
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-19 02:13
@Shotokan81

I see... Well, said, it's a matter of taste, indeed... About Linux, I guess I'm just bad lucky, because my desktop PC has a quite bad AMD Atlhom X2 processor, and I heard Ubuntu (which was the distro I tried to install) has problems with AMD processors. The three times I tried to dual boot it with Windows 7, and the three times I failed to boot after the first reboot.

About Metro, also a matter of taste, but with the full version of Windows 8 (not RT) except for some few stuff, you can use an improved Windows 7 UI, with some traces only of Metro... It may get a while used to, but give it a try (if you haven't)...
I don't get people. Never Have, never will.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic