Previous  123 ... 928929930 ... 122712281229  Next
Author SONY Xperia Rumors 2013 Edition
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2013-07-16 17:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2013-07-16 17:52:08, itsjustJOH wrote:
^If there's someone to really trust 100% real leaks, it would be Huiyi. And he shall come when the time is right, not too early and not too late. Because he is the Almighty Huiyi!

Hehe that's true
itsjustJOH
Sony Xperia L
PM
Posted: 2013-07-16 18:28
^Props to you ramu and the rest of the contributors, too! Still more than a month away, I trust Sony would deliver.
ascariss
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2013-07-16 18:29
Hopefully this does have a case around it because more bezel is not the way to go
my ninja
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2013-07-16 20:11
you would think that the ZL was the way to go ... hopefully we get that option again, as it was brilliant ... and some additional storage

16 is paltry, my four year old phone has 2x that amount.
sponse
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-07-16 20:17
i TELL you guys that i know the sources! and they wont fake such things!
so it is the honami, as the guy and my friend which is the editor of the site and he is a friend of the guy that had the honami in his hand (he does not have it anymore) confirmed that.

so it's not fake!

you need to take my word for it.
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2013-07-16 21:28

On 2013-07-16 15:25:03, xdomino996 wrote:
Only 8mpx for 16:9? This would not be true.

If the sensor is a 20MP 4:3 one, then it should be able to do 16:9 in 15MP... by simply cropping the 4:3 to 16:9...

It could be not final software if it was real
Felimenta97
Sony Xperia S
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-07-16 21:34

On 2013-07-16 17:26:20, Shotokan81 wrote:
@moogoo, fake yes, my first thought. The available resolutions may be real.

@Felimenta, then what is the problem? If you crop later anyway, take the 20mp, it is 15mp in 16:9 plus 2.5mp at the top and bottom that you don't need and can crop later (see my earlier post). Not sure to see the problem here.
[ This Message was edited by: Shotokan81 on 2013-07-16 16:27 ]

It's not a problem, but I think it isn't shouldn't be hard to include a 15 Mp 16:9 on it, is it? I see devs modding the Sony camera to do it all the time...
I don't get people. Never Have, never will.
rss_ndrsn
Sony Xperia X Performance
PM
Posted: 2013-07-16 22:02
What makes me sad about the smaller sensor for Honami is not the sensor itself but rather, Sony does not seem to be able to make the phone as compact as ZL. I wonder what makes Honami big.
-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-07-16 22:58

On 2013-07-16 22:02:55, rss_ndrsn wrote:
I wonder what makes Honami big.

Larger battery, more complex internal components, better thermal management, larger camera sensor (even if its as small as 1/2.3, its still significantly larger than most other smartphone camera sensors), and so on....?

Most of us don't appear to be electrical or electronic engineers. We don't know how much space is required to fit in all the components.
DexterMoser
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2013-07-16 23:18
I'm ok with a bigger phone, if the specs justify that.
And at the moment I think that is just the case with Honami. (like XYZ already mentioned)
Galaxy S4 (S600)
Looking forward to the Sony Xperia Z4 (or 5)
Feynman about Beauty
sponse
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-07-16 23:27
Guys if you want 3000 mha battery? you will get big bezels, what do you except ??
i prefer big bezel with huge battery over an ZL design with mediocre one.
remember the Motorola DROID RAZR MAXX?

you cant fit s800 with 3000 mha with waterproofnes ip58
in a beezles device !! come on!! and i'm not mentioning all the other cool features and the big sensor (even if it will be "just" 1/2.3 it still much bigger than the one on the Z. hope though that it will be 1/1.6 ..
[ This Message was edited by: sponse on 2013-07-16 22:30 ]
XperiaCute
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-07-16 23:36
DexterMoser
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2013-07-16 23:43

On 2013-07-16 20:17:22, sponse wrote:
i TELL you guys that i know the sources! and they wont fake such things!
so it is the honami, as the guy and my friend which is the editor of the site and he is a friend of the guy that had the honami in his hand (he does not have it anymore) confirmed that.

so it's not fake!

you need to take my word for it.

I believe you.

The onscreen-button orientation seems to be like Xperia Z, so would be legit.

The large bezel is either the aluminium frame or a case around the phone, look closely, you see the light reflection in the middle of the screen not going till the whole edge (only the glass is reflecting, the "bezel around the bezel" is not glass, unlike a reflection on the XZ should go till the edge I think). So it is the Aluminium frame?
Anyways I would definitely accept that large bezel for these specs! Form follows function!!

Just 8MP in 16:9 is in my opinion a result of not final software (as mentioned before it is easy as pie to crop a 16:9 frame out of the 4:3 20MP picture afterwards).

And the navigation buttons aren't distorted or anything, look closely, the navbar is just transparent, the device behind the possible Honami is visible through the navbar in the lower left corner.
But then the question remains why the navbar isn't transparent on the right side, it is just deep black, so I just busted myself

Btw the device that is being behind (in the viewfinder of) the possible Honami, looks like some Samsung Galaxy Mega.

@sponse:
Can you or your friend tell anything else about the phone they had in the hand? In terms of hard- and/or software?
Galaxy S4 (S600)
Looking forward to the Sony Xperia Z4 (or 5)
Feynman about Beauty
unknown13x
Z600
PM
Posted: 2013-07-16 23:47

On 2013-07-16 12:53:32, u2jewel wrote:
I hope that this post isn't too OT...

I am curious about the process behind creating/testing up and coming models and prototypes.

I am sure it varies from company to company, and on the budget assigned and all....

And I am also sorry if this has been covered in previous posts elsewhere, but here it goes...

1) During the development period of new devices such as the Honami, how many prototypes are likely to be built?

2) Do each prototype versions that are getting road tested stay the same in spec terms, or do they go back to the workshop to get them tweaked and upgraded as problems arise/better ideas and solutions appear? Or everytime a modification is required they build new and retire the proto that was used up until then?

3) For device with high profile and expectations with so much riding on it, how many working mules are likely to simultaneously exist (in the same spec, identical units)?

4) Are all proto testers Sony employees? Or are some outside contractors?

5) Where are the Sony Protos created/fabricated? Since they are preproduction, I assume they are individually assembled by hand

6) I am no expert (as can be observed by random questions above!) but surely in terms of time-frame (for Honami intro in late Aug/early Sept), the specs need to be locked down and decided already?? Can I assume that the last couple of months before the unveiling are dedicated to actually stress testing the final spec version (but still pre-production) and heavily using/testing them in real life terms?

7) From past experience (with the benefit of hindsight), roughly what % of info obtained pre-launch is
a)deliberately leaked info for publicity and expectation/hype building
b)leaked info that was meant to stay secret
c)disinformation (as red herring, keep people off track...)

I can't believe so many variants of Honami in different specs exist at this stage in preproduction life.
It may have existed, but to develop and fine tune and then test so many vairants of hardware..... really?

Are teams within Sony mobile dept so compartmentalised that some people know the name only, some people know hardware only, some software only and hardly anybody sees the whole picture?

Or are SONY better than most at keeping info tight within teams?

1. If you're talking about number of any particular one, it's in double digits only. If you're talking about how many stages of prototype they go through, it's around 4-5 stages before final product. The last phase is about 1-2 months before retail, but this last phase is production quality. When you see promotions during the launch that they bring in celebrities, those are usually last phase devices, and not retail devices. Before that are OA devices, which are for Operators to play around with. If my memories back when I was with Sony is correct, there are 3 more phases before OA. Devices that you see when playing at Expos and shows, are usually Phase 3, and occasionally if the device is near launch, it will be OA devices, but never production devices. Which is why I'm always skeptical when I play them at expos because most of the time, it's not production ready devices.

2. Every modifications gets sent out a new device, unless it's just software. Usually Phase 2 or Phase 3 devices will get multiple configurations to be tested out. If it reaches OA phase, it's usually finalized. The only thing is some OA devices won't have all features implemented to save cost in manufacturing since it's just for operators to see how it feels.

3. Refer to #1

4. They do internal and contracting companies. Not just Sony employees. Operators, government licensee's, etc. However, each companies vary on what phase of device they get. Sony employees, only field testers get anything before OA devices. Sales won't be able to touch anything until OA hits for demo, so when I see people comment that their friends at Sony store said blah blah blah, I don't believe them. Contracting companies vary, but I have known people who get Phase 1 or Phase 2 devices and many of those devices never saw daylight.

5. The past 4-5 years, Sony (SE at the time) have broken up devices to be handled by different regions. Most high-end are now done in Japan, while mid to low are produced and develop in China. It use to be Europe, but I'm not sure if they still do that after becoming Sony.

6. Specs are usually not locked down until OA devices, which is about 3-4 months before launch. However, key techs are usually locked down, only minor depends on the manufacturer's capability. For example, memory capacity, screen types, which are usually something not too major. However, there are instances where specs are not changed until launch. Again, most are dependent on manufacturer's capabilities.

7. Sony? I think all devices are leaked That's what they get for contracting companies and have no incentives for keeping the secret. They should follow Apple's model (Hate to say it).
-XYZ
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-07-17 00:05

On 2013-07-16 23:36:42, XperiaCute wrote:

If that's true the camera is hugely disappointing.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 928929930 ... 122712281229  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic