Previous  123 ... 878889 ... 122712281229  Next
Author SONY Xperia Rumors 2013 Edition
yuunanase
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-12-08 11:33
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2012-12-07 22:24:36, HPkuK610i wrote:
Go only use mineral glass not Dragontrail like Active or Gorillaglass like Moto Defy.

Please go to the 2nd last post, they said that Go uses Dragontail
venus, kiki, vulcan, rachael, anzu, akane, nozomi, hikari, hayabusa, tsubasa, yuga, togari, honami, sirius, leo, ivy, surime
Away
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2012-12-08 17:29
Is it just me, or do Sony really need to start designing chips in-house to compete in the long run, especially if they introduce Vita OS in tablets and smartphones (eventually, hopefully). It could help them focus on the time-frame of products.

And Vita OS.

How difficult can it be? A strong PS Vita, PS3/4, TV and Tablet integration and also cross-OS (android) compatibility (to some extent), and to push this marketing-wise would be amazing.

They should at least start off with a gaming-tablet with good security and social integration with more GPU power than the next iPad and a Vita OS. Give it the ability to play Vita games. An amazing screen and expandable memory - sorted.

They've already got their video/music services...

If Amazon have got fairly far this way, why can't Sony?

Some of you may say that Sony don't have the cash, but they do., sort-of... And that's why I say at least start with a Tablet, phones can come later when the app ecosystem is there...Maybe.

But just the playstation suite alone won't be enough to build an app ecosystem...who will make instagram just for the playstation suite? An Xperia Play successor + Tablet with Vita OS near the end of next year would also help build an ecosystem.
[ This Message was edited by: Away on 2012-12-08 17:10 ]
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2012-12-08 18:23
Seriously drop the whole vita-OS discussion because it is never going to happen. Sony does not have the resources to pull that off no matter what fanboys thinks. Sony does of course know this themselves. Also I don't understand this fascination with vita-OS, tried a vita last week and the OS is freaking terrible. Yes it is pretty fluid but with all the childish colors and big circle icons it looks like a 10year old designed it. It's a real shame Sony seems to have dropped the more mature look of psp in favor of that Nintendo wannabe crap
coolkid8689
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2012-12-08 21:31
Short film taken with Xperia TX...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIY-7GHolqE

http://www.xperiablog.net/201[....]shot-entirely-on-an-xperia-tx/

If TX can produce this much greater quality, then how BAD-ASS Yuga/Odin will be....???
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-12-08 21:40

On 2012-12-08 18:23:14, motvikt wrote:
Seriously drop the whole vita-OS discussion because it is never going to happen. Sony does not have the resources to pull that off no matter what fanboys thinks.

I think they definately have the resources to pull it off if they determine there's enough demand for it. Mobile and gaming are 2 of the 3 core pillars of Sonys new business strategy so if they wanted to devote the resources to have them work together on a project like a Vita phone or tablet, that could be done.

Sony does of course know this themselves. Also I don't understand this fascination with vita-OS, tried a vita last week and the OS is freaking terrible. Yes it is pretty fluid but with all the childish colors and big circle icons it looks like a 10year old designed it. It's a real shame Sony seems to have dropped the more mature look of psp in favor of that Nintendo wannabe crap

You're confusing artistic choice with OS limitations. Vita OS is based off the PS3 OS which they've had years to work on and build upon. Vita OS has specifically been mentioned to be built with expandability for phones and tablets as well. If they do decide to go down that route then they would of course modify the OS's interface to be more suitable for phones and tablets. It's really just a matter of whether there's a market demand for such a device and if Sony feels it's worth it to put the resources into such a device. The growth of Playstation Mobile might be a key factor, as that is basically going to be the app store for such a device. PSMs SDK only was recently released, so it might be a bit of time before we see just how many independant people want to develop for it. IMO the good part abou PSM is that it offers Android developers a pirate-free option to get their apps/games on Android. My guess is we'll see ports from iOS over to PSM as time goes on as it seems that many iOS developers are reluctant to port to Android dircetly due to piracy issues.
AranhaHunter
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-12-09 00:14

On 2012-12-08 17:29:59, Away wrote:
Is it just me, or do Sony really need to start designing chips in-house to compete in the long run, especially if they introduce Vita OS in tablets and smartphones (eventually, hopefully). It could help them focus on the time-frame of products.

And Vita OS.

How difficult can it be? A strong PS Vita, PS3/4, TV and Tablet integration and also cross-OS (android) compatibility (to some extent), and to push this marketing-wise would be amazing.

They should at least start off with a gaming-tablet with good security and social integration with more GPU power than the next iPad and a Vita OS. Give it the ability to play Vita games. An amazing screen and expandable memory - sorted.

They've already got their video/music services...

If Amazon have got fairly far this way, why can't Sony?

Some of you may say that Sony don't have the cash, but they do., sort-of... And that's why I say at least start with a Tablet, phones can come later when the app ecosystem is there...Maybe.

But just the playstation suite alone won't be enough to build an app ecosystem...who will make instagram just for the playstation suite? An Xperia Play successor + Tablet with Vita OS near the end of next year would also help build an ecosystem.
[ This Message was edited by: Away on 2012-12-08 17:10 ]

I agree with what you're saying and your way of starting is something I agree they should do. I wrote about this a couple of pages back and starting with a gaming tablet (ideally with an add on pad accessory like wikipad) would be the way they should pursue it.

I don't think they are though because:
- They have no MP3/Music store and have given no impressions to bring one out, their radio service is not a replacement for mp3 sales. All other closed ecosystems have a music/mp3 store. They could try integrating the australian exclusive bandit.fm to it, but they haven't even integrated the ebook store and the comic store is currently exclusive to Japan.
- They haven't really made an effort to bring out non gaming apps on vita (total of about 10 on vita) and 1 on psm. That effort would need to be 10, 20 fold, at least
- The OS itself and browser are way behind iOS and android (no folders, copy/paste, orientation, a/v for the browser etc)

They could do it, but the effort is not there, so I don't see it happening.
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2012-12-09 05:16
Can we get zomgbbqftw to join us here at Esato 2013 rumors thread ?
I'm lookin at you vivftp
sighduck
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-12-09 05:17
The Vita OS has a lot of promise as a smartphone OS. I wish Sony would release more details on it. If they convert it to a smartphone OS, they would need to refine its design to remove the more skeuomorphic details. The only thing they should keep is the "peeling corner" sticker action which in my opinion is what identifies it as the Vita OS for me, not the hexagonally arranged round icons. I believe (or hope) the reason why a Vita phone will not be released in 2013 is that Sony is redeveloping the Vita OS to launch an Xperia Vita line in 2014 along with an updated PS Vita.
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2012-12-09 06:07
Also does anyone know the NEW address of Sony Mobile Communications, i.e. Tokyo HQ ? And where is the R&D center ? Tokyo or some other place ?
EDIT: So it's in Tokyo

Pics of Sony Mobile Tokyo Office

Sony Mobile Communications Japan, Inc. W Building 1-8-15. Konan, Minato-ku, Tokyo, 108-0075 Japan

Very close to Sony Corporation building

[ This Message was edited by: randomuser on 2012-12-09 05:51 ]
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-12-09 06:56

On 2012-12-09 05:16:32, randomuser wrote:
Can we get zomgbbqftw to join us here at Esato 2013 rumors thread ?
I'm lookin at you vivftp

I'm afraid I'm not a member of NeoGAF, so I can't help there. It appears Akira is, so maybe he can pass along the invite.
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2012-12-09 07:18
I see. Then Akira, bring him over if you can

Also a good news for those in UK. Yuga will be on sale in UK in February apparently, but the price will be higher than any Sony/Sony Ericsson(oops Sony branded Sony Ericsson/Sony Ericsson ) phone in history

This is according to sidneylopsides, a Sony Mobile ambassador from UK.

That confirms what I'd said, Yuga will be available in a few markets from February 2013 onwards, and globally by April 2013.
[ This Message was edited by: randomuser on 2012-12-09 06:23 ]
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-12-09 08:15
I guess we can only hope Odin will also be released at the same time as Yuga, if not sooner.

As for zomgbbqftw, it does seem like he is a Sony fan going by his various posts on NeoGAF and I think he'd fit in nicely here... hopefully he would want to come and share his wealth of knowledge

One month til CES! SO FAR AWAY!!!!!!
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2012-12-09 08:32
29 days left for Sony CES press conference
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2012-12-09 08:44
@randomuser,

I hope Yuga will not have availability management like Xperia arc + Xperia XT, the first came to MENA after 6 months from release, and XT will come later this month or even early Q1 next year !!

If Qualcomm gives Sony higher priority then I hope Sony will make enough units for global release...

While it's sad that HTC is going down and down now, It might be good for Sony as they will get more chips from Qualcomm...
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-12-09 08:45
In addition to phones, I'm hoping we can see a new tablet from Sony at CES. I would actually love it if we could see a next gen smart watch from Sony too that REALLY improves upon the last one. What other sort of mobile stuff could we possibly see?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 878889 ... 122712281229  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic