Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > What is Nokia PureView?

Previous  12
Author What is Nokia PureView?
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-09-25 06:05
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur4phV2oxlA

Respect.
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2012-09-26 03:45
Oh btw, I pushed for some answers from Nokia reps at Photokina and got some:

- Lumia 920 goes up to 1/3 sec SS on automode and up to 1 sec on night mode!!
- It has an ISO range of 100 to 800. It usually shoots in those low shots up to 200 ISO.
- Saw the video stabilization and it works pretty well.
- Smartshoot blew me away!! The guy took a group photo where we changed our faces during the 4 seconds time. And then he only had to tap on each face to go through the different faces and stay on the one preferred!! Smartshoot generally recognizes any subjects moving in the frame and can remove completey or manipulate them.
- Cinemagraph also demoed and works well as well!! Photos end up .gifs..

I also to got photos of the set-up Nokia made with my D7000 and 16-85 VRII lens from Nikon. It's the latest image stabilization tech from Nikon, makes up to four complete stops!

Now on the zoom lens I had a max aperture of F3.5, so had to boost the ISO up to compensate for the lost stops there, compared to F2.0 on the Lumia. The goal was of course to shoot with same shutter speeds of the Lumia at same exposures as well, and see if my D7000 can output blur free photos at these shutter speeds!
(Lumia has F2.0 and assumingly shooting at ISO 200, I had to go two stops up with F4.0, then two stops downs with an ISO 800 for an equivalent exposure)

First off, here is the set-up Nokia made, just to see how ridiculously dark that is. The Lumia 800 of my friends didn't manage to capture anything. Complete blank photo!!
(Following two images not shot by me)

And here are my results:

Aperture mode: F4.0, ISO 800, camera went for 1/3 sec SS. Same as the Lumia on automode.
Result is good. No blur.

Manual mode: F4.0, ISO 800, SS 1/2 sec. Blurry. Acceptable to some extent but generally no good.

Manual mode: F4.0, ISO 800, SS 1 sec! No chance! But beautiful exposure. Imagine Lumia 920 shooting at 1 seconds and getting steady images!! (Rep did tell that at 1 sec one better has steady hands; no caffein or alcohol effect. But steady photos are surely achievable!)

And as a bonus, here's the photo the cam went for at P mode with a fixed 35mm DX lens (52mm equivalent, hence the narrower view): F1.8, SS 1/25 sec, ISO 6400!! (max aperture and max ISO) Just to tell how dark that was!!

And here are the camera modules of both 920 and 808 (920 on top):

[ This Message was edited by: false_morel on 2012-09-26 02:47 ]
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2012-09-26 11:05
That's all awesome, but we are yet to see ANY sample from 920. Currently all we have is the Nokia bragging everywhere how awesome it is, without giving any samples. I call bullshit on Nokia Something is fishy with all these comparision and 0 sample photos.
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2012-09-26 22:06
There were several samples released by Nokia.

No ful resolutions ones yet since the processing algorithms are finalised yet. But Nokia wanted to demonstrate the longer shutter speeds the cam could achieve handheld. And also OIS for video.

And I saw live demo in front of my eyes with the 920 shooting that set-up and getting incredible results.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi