Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Samsung ordered to pay Apple more than $1Billion after jury says they Stole patented iPhone designs

Author Samsung ordered to pay Apple more than $1Billion after jury says they Stole patented iPhone designs
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-08-26 14:24
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
No it's about both. Looking at the icons on GS2 & GS3 they don't look like Apple's icons or are they the same size either. Can I ask somebody here did Apple invent pinch to zoom or not?? I wouldn't mind but double tap to zoom in text does not feature on many Samsung devices it never worked on any Samsung I had. If I build a house,can I not make any window rectangular cos Apple iPhone is that shape?? Come on people it's pathetic
Phone?? What phone??
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2012-08-26 14:32
Bonovox - from the beginning of the case I have always felt that Samsung was guilty of the tap to zoom and pinch to zoom as Apple's yes came up with that but I did not know they didn't license it to Samsung.
All the others are hogwash.
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-08-26 14:51
I just don't get the rectangular shape bull shit. Nearly all touch screen phones have a rectangular shape with a home button. I cannot believe a court judge passed that.
Phone?? What phone??
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2012-08-26 14:52
Bonovox - from the beginning of the case I have always felt that Samsung was guilty of the tap to zoom and pinch to zoom as Apple's yes came up with that but I did not know they didn't license it to Samsung.

Wrong, Apple didn't came up with this, they just stole it and made a "patent" for using this in a mobile devices.

Here's a video of some dude presenting multi-touch http://www.youtube.com/watch?[....]=player_embedded&v=ac0E6deG4AU

And here's an article in Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-touch

Apple wants You to believe they invented something, and that would be fine with me as long as they don't sue other companies making false claims.
[ This Message was edited by: admad on 2012-08-26 13:53 ]
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2012-08-26 16:21
What have Apple "invented" besides shapes and colors ? Screens ? Prosessors ? Memory ?
Does anyone have a list ?
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-08-26 17:52
What?? Rikken,come on,didn't you know Apple invented the wheel too Am I gonna be sued tomorrow if I make a keyboard for a computer with the same key layout??

HTC Mozart
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2012-08-26 17:00 ]
worf1000
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-08-26 19:19

On 2012-08-26 16:21:08, rikken wrote:
What have Apple "invented" besides shapes and colors ? Screens ? Prosessors ? Memory ?

Tell me, what have Sammy invent?
djin
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-08-26 19:20

I'll try images to explain to all of You what is what, because there is some serious misunderstanding here...

Now a little explanation:

Picture 1: This is a copy, notice the look of the phone and the name is like iPhone, to confuse customers into buying their product. Now this is bad, and this should be excluded from market. Note that Apple didn't sue sciphone

Picture 2: This is not a copy, the look of the phone, the dimensions it's different (Notice the scale is about 99,9% right, not like the shit comparision on internet where SII has the same height as iPhone...). Now it might look alike, but it's still not a copy...

If picture 2 is very different due to dimensions, then so is picture 1.

sciphone vs iphone - sciphone has smaller screen, greyish speaker, Placement of front facing camera is different. Fonts used are different, the dimensions are NOT the same, etc. But overall the phone looks like a rip off by a low budget chinese company.

S2 vs iphone - s2 has bigger screen, similar center button, Icons look similar. In fact the docked icons have the similar colors as the default docked icons in iphone. Diffrent placement of speaker and front facing camera. Overall, the phone's look and ui feels like a rip off.

There are many more differences in sciphone if you look at it properly, just as you have been used to looking at s2. One of the reasons why I never bought s1 and s2 is because they always looked to me as a knock off even before they got popular.

Anyways this will not matter in the present and future, Samsung's already become very successful and s3 is something more original from them which is unaffected by this ruling. Tbh i see all this propoganda as apple's loss. It used to be apple vs microsoft in the headlines, now its apple vs samsung. So samsung gets to be in the headlines for free and even without throwing in any money for advertisements, they will sell s4 alot.

Also as a designer of iphone, they have all the rights to protect it. No matter how simple it is. The thing is, if it was that simple as being claimed, why was it so hard to be made? Anything that's been done will always look easy. If apple sued sony over xperia T, htc over one x, and samsung over s3, there is no way they could ever prove they looked similar. But with s1 and s2, they had their point.
Xperia T + N 96

R.I.P Desire
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-08-26 20:29

On 2012-08-26 19:20:13, djin wrote:
If apple sued sony over xperia T, htc over one x, and samsung over s3, there is no way they could ever prove they looked similar. But with s1 and s2, they had their point.

I so agree with this. I'm glad Apple won. I was never fond of the iPhone 1-3 design so I couldn't get why Samsung had to copy those. Sony, Motorola, Lumigon all have very unique (and better, but that's subjective. I prefer their designs over Apple's) designs... WTH did Samsung have to copy the iPhone?!?!??!

Anyway, I just wanted to share this amusing article.

Congrats to Apple for their $1B court win!

Congrats to Samsung for their successful $1B ad campaign!
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-08-26 21:10
admad,

WHERE have I ever stated that stealing is ok for one and NOT the other?! Please go ahead and quote that in ANY of my posts DIRECTLY and we'll talk.

WHERE is the argument about a freakin RECTANGLE?! Seriously WHERE is the proof to back up this absurdity?! Again dribble from a fool that spits verbatim from common thought to reduce a valid statement that means a HELL of a lot more than that by those that just dislike a company protecting their designs. Again WHERE is the rectangle claim from Apple coming from; FACTS! Not dribble for verbatim please.

The patents argue: Icon design blatantly copied (more than a few), design being TOO highly similar - with Samsung's own staff, and other experts that have NOTHING to gain by Apple nor Samsung winning this case full agreeing too similar! This was with the FULL hardware design and does NOT included the SGS III models > so where is this dribble about "a rectangular shape with rounded edges" ? OR was this a statement in a paragraph taken completely out of context.

Again I challenge you to PROOF with links (more than one in reference to this recent court case or previous from Apple against Android/Samsung.

EDIT:

http://www.mobileburn.com/203[....]atents-says-south-korean-court
http://online.wsj.com/article[....]4812704577608242792921450.html

Apple and Samsung each enjoyed a victory and suffered a loss in their legal battle over smartphone patents. A South Korean court ruled that both companies sold products that infringe on each other's intellectual property, leading to damage awards and the banned sale of their products.
A three-judge panel ruled that four Samsung products infringe on Apple's "bounce back" patent, which deals with a screen that bounces back to a visible area when a user attempts to scroll beyond the edge of a document or photo. The panel ordered Samsung to pay 25 million won ($22,000), and banned the sale of its Galaxy S II, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Tab, and Galaxy Tab 10.1 in South Korea. The court also ruled that Apple violates patents Samsung holds for mobile data transfer. Apple must now pay Samsung 20 million won ($17,650) and stop selling the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 in South Korea.
Apple and Samsung have concluded their patent fight in South Korea, but litigation between the two companies is far from over. A jury is now deliberating an Apple v. Samsung case in the U.S., and similar lawsuits or complaints to regulators are active in nine different countries.

^ so much for the argument US Court, US Judge, US jurors. Only the last part differs.
[ This Message was edited by: Hardened on 2012-08-26 22:29 ]
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-08-26 21:12
The GS2 does not look similar. The home button is different shape for a start off and the body is thinner with no sides looking the same or the back. As for a screen looking the same now that's going too far.
Phone?? What phone??
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2012-08-26 21:25

On 2012-08-26 19:19:15, worf1000 wrote:

Tell me, what have Sammy invent?

Great answer I ask because I do not know what Apple has invented themself. . . . .
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-08-26 21:47

On 2012-08-26 14:51:00, Bonovox wrote:
I just don't get the rectangular shape bull shit. Nearly all touch screen phones have a rectangular shape with a home button. I cannot believe a court judge passed that.

hmm. No you know that NOT to be fully true.
WinCE devices: HP Jornada, Sharp, etc.
WinMobile 6: Compaq iPaq (no center home button)
WinMobile 6.5: SE Xperia X1 and X2, HP iPaq series (plenty models), Samsung qwerty models, Motorola Q9h/m, etc.

yes all had simple home buttons but non used for multitasking, that I'm aware of, nor used for voice input, nor too similar in design. put aside the hate for Apple and re-read all details of patents argued, statements made by both and then decide.

Apple inventions:
Glass starcase
FireWire (400/800)
ThunderBolt (in partnership with Intel, yes they did, or at least improved networking through TB)
Aluminum unibody PCs (not sure of a patent on this).
H.264 Codec,
1979 - Introduces first printer, the Silentype

Notably, Apple has been sued for:

1999 - Sued over use of OS 9 name
http://news.cnet.com/Software[....]9-name/2100-1001_3-230627.html

1989 - Sued by the Beatles' Apple Corps over music.
1989 - Sued by Xerox over GUI.
2003 - Tibco sues Apple over trademark.
http://news.cnet.com/Tibco-su[....]emark/2100-1035_3-5069154.html

Oh and to clarify ANY potential common misconceptions about the GUI theft from Xerox PARC or about HOW both company's met, I submit exhibit A.

2005 - Raskin dies at 61
February 27, 2005 2:05 PM PST

http://news.cnet.com/Jef-Rask[....]at-61/2100-1045_3-5591858.html

Raskin, who named the Macintosh after his favorite fruit, joined Apple in January 1978 as employee No. 31. The Macintosh was launched in 1984, but Raskin left Apple in 1982 amid a well-documented dispute with Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

Raskin was an assistant professor at the University of California, San Diego, and a visiting scholar at the Stanford Artificial Intelligence Laboratory in the 1970s when he first visited Xerox's Palo Alto Research Center, or PARC. (Apple is often accused of copying Xerox's graphical user interface--GUI--into the Macintosh operating system).
"When PARC was in its first few years I was often a visiting academic there, taking part in discussions and viewing with delight some of the developments going on there; I trust that people there also took pleasure in finding in me someone who was already on much the same user-interface wavelength," Raskin later wrote. "I didn't have to be sold on the idea that UI and graphics were of primary importance to the future of computing."
Raskin said he told Jobs and Steve Wozniak, Apple's other co-founder, about what he had seen at Xerox the first time he met them in their garage in 1976, but that he stopped visiting Xerox when he went to work for Apple "to avoid any possible conflicts of interest."

|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-08-26 21:55
Patents awarded to Steve Jobs.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/68180085/Steve-Jobs-Patent

somone joked about the keyboard ... take a look at the source above.
10 D641,021 Keyboard
11 D640,695 Keyboard
28 D633,498 Keyboard
32 D633,093 Keyboard
55 D625,310 Keyboard
73 D621,402 Keyboard
90 D616,886 Keyboard
13 2D604,736 Keyboard
133 D604,300 Keyboard
153 D598,451 Keyboard

That is just a taste of why Gates invested in Apple when it was near death for non-voting shares (sure he wanted voting shares but Microsoft was already in a LOT of deep trouble with 26US states in supreme court battles over monopolism and such tactics. If you're REALLY keen to learn more dig for what is specified in all those patents Steve Jobs is awarded for and that Apple solely owns.
chunkybeats
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-08-26 23:57
hang on hang on theres a pull down menu in IOS 5.1, who invented that?? Google mount a lawsuit!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi