Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Newbie and W995 not working as hoped.

Author Newbie and W995 not working as hoped.
junkaholic
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-07-20 03:32
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hello, I bought a W995 off eBay to replace mine that I lost. Its not working as I hoped, e.g,. music play button only works if phone is unlocked (previous it worked no matter what, as it should I think), the phone locks after 10 seconds even if slider open (previously never locked if open), etc.

I can see from a cursory browse that I can fix these things myself, but I'm brand new. Can someone tell me where to start? I understand I should flash it for my country. I'm in Canada, but if that's not available, I could flash for UK or US. Can someone tell me how to start?

I didn't have the conversation tab in messages when I rec'd it, but I did a master reset and now its there. I would appreciate someone holding my hand to start off with. I look forward to learning all about the tweaks I can make to "modernize" the phone. Thank you very much
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2012-07-20 20:58
Start your search in "settings" you can change the "time out" there and most likely also free the button from its lock.
Further modifications can be done but please read the threads carefully first.
Welcome @ esato
junkaholic
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-07-20 21:23
No, there is no Setting to change the timeout. There is actually very little in the phone Settings. There are other problems I have discovered. Even the volume of music output to the headphones is very low compared to my previous W995. I have posted on the SE-NSE forums and have been advised to flash the phone with my country's firmware with some Omnius software and go from there.

If anyone has any other suggestions for me, I would greatly appreciate it.
emporium
Sony Xperia V
PM
Posted: 2012-07-20 22:17

[ This Message was edited by: emporium on 2012-12-22 23:09 ]
junkaholic
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-07-21 20:20
When I used SEUS, it says, "This phone has been modified and cannot be updated". Sigh.
emporium
Sony Xperia V
PM
Posted: 2012-07-21 22:16

[ This Message was edited by: emporium on 2012-12-22 23:10 ]
junkaholic
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-07-23 22:12
OK I will flash with one of those. I wasn't sure about the 'a'. Flashing like that is EASY with Omnius. However I don't even understand how you browse system folders. For example I downloaded a bunch of music skins. How do I navigate to and place them in tpa/system/multimedia/mp? I was able to use the A2 uploader to view this folder. but... I tried to drag the music skin folders into it and it wouldn't.

I also want to tweak settings. Anyways, I'll flash as you said first then come back with more questions. Thanks. Will try the U.S. version, close to Canada.
junkaholic
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-07-23 22:31
Emporium, I apologize for being an idiot. I really want to use my phone but I feel completely stupid here so I'll start from beginning:

- My phones current software: 1215-7995 R1HA035 091210 SonyEricsson.

I go to Omnius here and there are no files that you have listed.

If this where I have to start, where do I get the files you have listed?

Is there some beginners hand-holding guide at all? I love my W995, want to modernize it, and tweak out the annoying aspects as much as possible... is there no 'learning tutorial' somewhere where things are explained from the beginning?

emporium
Sony Xperia V
PM
Posted: 2012-07-24 00:56

[ This Message was edited by: emporium on 2012-12-22 23:09 ]
junkaholic
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-07-24 04:15
I used Omnius per this:

I still can't use SEUS after this firmware update; it still says "phone has been modified, can't be updated".
Anyways I suppose I'm happy with my firmware as its the latest now? But I'm missing the facebook for sony ericsson integration I used to have with my old W995 (facebook appears on desktop and activated by left option button). Any ideas how to get that back? It was useful because once you took a picture you could Send To > Facebook, that was nice.

Other than that... I want to customize my media player skins. Anyone wanna point me to a tutorial? Updating flash themes is easy. But I wanna customize the media player.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi