Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Has Europe fallen out of love with the mobile phone?

Author Has Europe fallen out of love with the mobile phone?
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2012-06-22 15:01
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Forget the fact that it’s summertime: it must feel pretty chilly right now if you’re a mobile operator in Europe. Across the continent, evidence is mounting that people are starting to change their relationship with the mobile industry — and it has operators worried.

A few days ago, it was revealed that record numbers of Spaniards are ditching their handsets — with the number of lines dropping by around 380,000 in April.

Via
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Pierke
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2012-06-22 15:06
I guess it has got something to do with the European souvereign dept crisis? It hurts Spain a lot at the moment. Unemployment rates are sky high... People just don't have the money for an expensive telephone anymore.
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2012-06-22 15:16
Even though some makers are releasing high end phones only, some buy them, but that's not the majority.
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2012-06-22 18:08
Declining, probably for economic reasons.

The UK market is very competitive - almost cut-throat with very good deals but still, I guess not upgrading is an easy way to save when money is tight, which it is for a great many people right now.

I know I have definitely been considering going PAYG rather than pay £32 / month - almost £400 a year.
chunkybeats
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-06-22 23:22
Yeah people can't afford expensive. phones anymore but also they got bought into Apples game and this what happens! I reckon their will be some fools selling their body parts to get the next iphone lol Id rather stick to a phone that lasts long and isn't expensive!
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2012-06-24 08:52
Most people have Home Phones which now offer free calls on a various interval
why have a Mobile for that reason?

there are numerous other things to consider though I guess Unemployment is the thing that
strikes it up a posse here though
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2012-06-24 22:36
The difference between a high-end and a mid-market phone is not really big anymore. Even a low-end phone makes decent photos and lets you browse the internet. It may go not as fast as a quad-core but not everyone wants to charge their phone twice a day.
titus1
C901 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-06-25 12:35
The only reason would be recession. That's why Asian market is huge right now for mobile phones.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi