Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia 808 PureView Thread And Discussion

Previous  123 ... 262728 ... 939495  Next
Author Nokia 808 PureView Thread And Discussion
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2012-11-29 12:06
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
well, thinking about it, yeah you're right, it'll only be used for lowlight, not much battery would be drained. So scratch that last argument I made about battery drain, it's not logical well sony seems to think improving the sensor to be good for lowlight so that you no longer need a xenon flash, maybe that's the reason, I think it's cost effective too since Led bulb is cheaper than Xenon bulb? so in the end it's the cost cutting of the company apart from conflicting their market share in digital cameras and cameraphones.

I think I've derailed this thread further now though.
[ This Message was edited by: reeflotz on 2012-11-29 11:10 ]
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-11-29 14:01
Nah not really. It all comes under the umbrella of why the 808 is better than the rest.

If i remember right, Xenon flashes work by stepping up the low voltage from the battery using transformers etc. So the overall phone only carries a small battery with low voltage it uses much much more to fire the Xenon.

Sony, i think they just went from trying to please cameraphone lovers to simply trying to stay cool - like the iPhone. Nokia did the geek thing with the 808 and now need to compete so went down the 920 route.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-11-30 01:37
^ there is nothing "geeky" about the 808 ... its just a normal smartphone which doubles as a proper camera. As soon as Windows can support it, it will be sold in the Lumia line.

On 2012-11-29 12:06:27, reeflotz wrote:
well sony seems to think improving the sensor to be good for lowlight so that you no longer need a xenon flash>[ This

Hmm.. unless they make some amazing breakthrough in sensor tech, there is no other way to improve low light performance except making the sensor bigger.. that way you have bigger pixels that can collect more light.

As far as xenon.. there is nothing that can replace it for now. Xenon is the only way you can freeze action in low light.

Now if you are talking about the new "stacked" sony sensors ... don't expect anything spectacular, they are shooting at 1.1 microns, in other words.. mediocre image quality across the whole range.
[ This Message was edited by: cu015170 on 2012-11-30 00:41 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-12-01 21:03
But it is, here in the UK at least. Nokia are releasing virtually no new Symbian phones in the UK and havent done since the 808 AFAIK.

And, the 808 wasnt picked up by any carriers in the UK. So again, AKAIK it was the last Symbian device to land on UK shores but only SIM free. So only the geeks and enthusiasts bought one. I would if i'd had the money.

Ive not seen a 808 in the flesh, ive not seen a single person with one. So here at least its a bit of a fantasy device. I just wish they could have released the 808 in 2010 when the N8 was released. It would have been a brilliant device to sell to the masses which bought the N8.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-12-01 21:43
I liked the later versions of Symbian,but the only 2 things that still annoyed me was the qwerty keypad & the browser.
Phone?? What phone??
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-12-01 21:51

On 2012-12-01 21:03:41, etaab wrote:
But it is, here in the UK at least. Nokia are releasing virtually no new Symbian phones in the UK and havent done since the 808 AFAIK.

I don't think that makes it a "geek" device... its just not widely available, which is a shame really... I find it on par with my iPhone 5 in terms of everyday usability + all the extra hardware features you get out of it. Its a like a Swiss army knife

On 2012-12-01 21:43:48, Bonovox wrote:
I liked the later versions of Symbian,but the only 2 things that still annoyed me was the qwerty keypad & the browser.

Thy keyboard is fine in FP2.

The browser is fine as far you turn off java. Here is a video I made showing the browsers of my iPhone 5 (the best in the world) and the one on the 808

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kR7CSAIHtw

Here is the multitasking (better on the 808)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZmj81MG_x0

General/daily tasks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIbUtmzOOPg

etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-12-02 10:40
Oh i think it makes it a geek device, that someone would go out looking for the phone thats not advertised, buy it expensively sim free, put up with such a large camera hump (by todays slim standards) and then talk about it on forums like this one.

As for usability, i still find Symbian superior to iOS, WP8, Android and well... everything else. My only complaints, after using Android for so long now day to day, i find Symbian Belle chugs a bit on my N8. Sometimes the phone is very slow and unresponsive. But then again, the N8 is a great camera on old 2009 technology.
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-12-03 04:57
You are calling me a "geek" and that is very true but it also doesn't make the phone "geeky" .. I think that the 808 is for people that don't like to be told what's good for them, or what is the best based on someone's else's criteria like the carriers, bloggers, or by the general "herd" like social behavior that most of us fall into. AT&T and Engadget can't tell me what is the best device.. I decide that on my own by doing research, and knowing exactly what I am looking for.

I will give you a perfect example from today.. I very close friend of mine's kid had a birthday today, and I wanted a memory of it.. it was a good time, and I wanted to freeze that moment in time in a photograph that would satisfy my own criteria .. I don't want a shitty/blurry photograph at a place like this.. so, I have an 808, which I know that will produce a very good photograph, consistently.. unlike my iPhone 5 for example.

Now.. for some people having the perfect browser and latest games might be much more important, so they buy a device accordingly.. but most of us buy devices because we are basically "told" what is good and what is bad... I was never that type of a guy, and I don't think I ever will be.
[ This Message was edited by: cu015170 on 2012-12-03 04:00 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-12-03 20:37
Me neither, so if you're a geek then so am i. Sadly im a geek with not much money to buy what i want.

Basically what im saying is about the geek thing, is that prior to Nokia burning the Symbian platform the 808 would have been a flagship but now its just relegated to fans and collectors. Which makes it the geek device.
Guarulhos
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-12-03 21:30
One More Award For the Wide Gallery Of Achievements 808 PureView PRO... Best Innovation Phone Arena Awards 2012 !

http://www.phonearena.com/new[....]s-2012-Best-Innovation_id37253

P.S: Congratulations NOKIA !!!
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-12-05 09:34
At least one "blogger" with some balls and common sense...

http://www.theverge.com/2012/[....]-is-my-next-nokia-808-pureview
Guarulhos
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-12-05 17:17
Good Article !!!
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-12-11 01:30
Here is one of the few times where I've actually seen the 808 struggle ... I didn't have another phone with me, but I am 99% sure that the result would have been pretty much unusable.

It doesn't happen often.. enjoy

Guarulhos
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-12-11 21:07
Great View... Great Moment !!!
Guarulhos
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-12-11 21:15
Nokia 808 PureView PRO Elected Best Cameraphone (PHONEARENA AWARDS 2012) !!!

Nokia 808 PureView PRO

"This wasn't too hard to guess, was it? Without a doubt, the Nokia 808 PureView is the year's best cameraphone - so good that it is commonly regarded as a point-and-shoot camera replacement with some phone functionality built in. And it isn't only about megapixels, altough with 41 of them, one can capture incredibly detailed images. (For a phone, that is.) You get features like lossless zooming - none of that digital stretching non-sense, both when shooting still photographs and while capturing video, even at 1080p. Moreover, the camera is smart enough to manipulate those millions of pixels and combine them producing a 5 or 8MP image that no other cameraphone can recreate".

P.S (1): Unchallenged and Victory More Than Fair !

What We Did With The Nokia Cameraphone, No Doubt Is A Great Technological Advancement And The Award For Best Cameraphone Year Something Is More Than Deserved !

P.S (2): 920 PureView LITE Reportedly Even Among The 3 Best (Just ... Very Fair) !!

P.S (3): Smartphones Sony Xperia 2012 Reportedly Even Among The 3 Best (Yes It Is More Than Just, Smartphones Sony Are Synonymous Images Of Mediocre) !!!
[ This Message was edited by: Guarulhos on 2012-12-11 20:26 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 262728 ... 939495  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic