Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia 808 PureView Thread And Discussion

Previous  123 ... 252627 ... 939495  Next
Author Nokia 808 PureView Thread And Discussion
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-11-25 21:38
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@ Bonovox - i understand he was probably a key player in helping develop better cameras in Nokia phones but i dont think Nokia phones will fare any worse now hes going. If they already have the technology i dont think they'll lose it.

Mind you Sony Ericsson did. Since the K750i and its following phones up until the Satio, there hasnt been a decent SE or Sony shooter since. Which i cannot understand because Sony in theory should know more about camera tech than Nokia.

Anyway i cannot blame Dinning, if he has a family and a life in this country it can be hard to up sticks and move to another country. Which is sad, because Nokia moving their majority of operations back to their home turf in Finland ends up costing them some of their best players.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-11-25 22:17
Yes,Sony seem to be inconsistent with their camera phone quality. Like their latest range,the P is the one that stands out as the best photo quality. The rest seem mediocre at best,also the Arc was better than the Arc S. I never understand the inconsistent quality. But for me Sony don't have the same imaging experience as say Nikon or Canon. Many photography snobs turn their noses up at Sony. As for Nokia,where did their imaging experience come from?? Did they just work with the best people in the know out there?? Carl Zeiss are not the best lenses imo
Phone?? What phone??
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-11-26 17:11

Mind you Sony Ericsson did. Since the K750i and its following phones up until the Satio, there hasnt been a decent SE or Sony shooter since.

Android happened.

I am really eager to see how Nokia copes with Windows NT in the camera department... I think it will take a rather long time to get to Symbian camera phones levels. The 920 is on par with the N82 in daylight..
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-11-27 19:53
I dont see how Android coming to the table affected the camera quality of SE or Sony phones. Some people will say because Android didnt have the right software built into it to handle high quality cameras but ive always said rubbish to that. Android just like Symbian before it was an open source OS which can be modified and have different software packages plugged into it to use higher quality optics. Unless you mean SE suddenly thought camera quality was a boring point and Android itself was a better OS to gain customers regardless of cameras ?

If Samsung can create an Android camera with the Galaxy Camera, why cannot a company like Sony who made phones like the Satio come up with a proper shooter ??

As for Nokia, i think their camera quality wasnt there until 2008 and the arrival of the N95. Prior to that point, SE was the better cameraphone maker. Since 2008 Nokia's cameras have gotten better and better and have surpassed all other manufacturers by a mile imo.

As for Carl Zeiss, couldnt care less. Its just a label and im not one for designer labels.
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-11-27 21:50
Well look at this way.. Android has been on the market for 5 years, and within those 5 years there hasn't been even one single proper cameraphone. Not even from the usual suspects like Sony and Samsung.. I mean what happened ? They were running right against Nokia up to the point when they switched to android.

Samsung gave us the Omnia HD and Pixon 12, SE gave us the Satio ... all 3 phones were a match to Nokia's current offerings at the time, and then.. Nothing. I bet you that if Nokia switched to Android the same time Samsung did the N8 and the 808 would still be in the lab.

As far as the galaxy camera.. its shit. Look at some images.. Samsung's own Pixon 12 would produce better images than that for the most part.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-11-27 21:59
Is it OS's that are restricting the camera quality do you think?? Symbian seems to work well with cameras maybe not so with WP & Android.
Phone?? What phone??
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2012-11-28 08:21
@cu015170

personally I'd say it has nothing to do with the OS, any company can develop a dedicated hardware that will process the picture captured by the sensor regardless of what OS you have and then the hardware will just give it to the OS as the finished jpeg product.

You know just like those TV tuners with recording capabilities? they instantly record and output it into mpeg format, all done in real-time because of dedicated hardware, unlike if you use a software based solution, it will first record it, then convert it before you get the mpeg file.

If you ask me, the reason why they didn't improve the camera was because, Sony and Samsung also sell digital cameras, Sony selling some DSLR, so of course from a business point of view why would you kill your own market? Nokia can improve cameraphones as much as they could because they don't sell any digital camera.

also how many common people are very picky when it comes to photo quality? there are people whose priority on a phone apart from calls and text are internet browsing, email, games and music, and they only use cameraphones for the occasional snap. So companies will have to prioritize which is a good investment for research that will give them profit in the end, which is why phones are getting slimmer and lighter but have bigger displays which is what most people want now. Looking at nokia now, they weren't able to sell that much anymore even though they did something truly innovative and exceptional, because that is not what is in demand right now by the people. I hardly even see people having an 808, most I see are carrying a samsung, iphone, HTC and sony.

I can see that your standards in imaging is very high, you said "there hasn't been even one single proper cameraphone" after android came, but for me, the Xperia X10 Mini pro, Xperia S, Xperia P, Xperia Arc, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3 are proper cameraphones pixel peeping aside. You can print standard 3.5inx5in photos of decent to good quality using those phones too.
[ This Message was edited by: reeflotz on 2012-11-28 07:26 ]
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-11-28 18:23
There has been a couple of Android phones which are aimed at being proper cameraphones, the most obvious of which was 2010's Motorola XT720. It was Motorola's answer to the Satio.

Sadly it was a bad phone inside and out.

reeflotz probably has the best guess, that Nokia didnt make cameras where the rest did and did not want to canabilise their own compact camera sales.
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-11-28 22:12

On 2012-11-28 18:23:39, etaab wrote:
There has been a couple of Android phones which are aimed at being proper cameraphones, the most obvious of which was 2010's Motorola XT720. It was Motorola's answer to the Satio.

Sadly it was a bad phone inside and out.

reeflotz probably has the best guess, that Nokia didnt make cameras where the rest did and did not want to canabilise their own compact camera sales.

That is a very good point, and I've always thought that Sony and Samsung had to balance out their smartphones with their point and shoots, which isn't the case for Nokia, Apple, and HTC for example.. but when the Satio and the Pixon came out, those two can easily rival most of the P&S both companies had on sale at the time, and they still sold them.. given, the impact of those would not have been as significant as an android based device in the current market conditions, but still.. that doesn't explain the complete lack of proper camera phones from both companies.

By proper I mean Xenon+Bigger senso+better optics.. that's mostly what you can do in a smartphone anyway.

The OS has a huge impact on imaging, and you can see a perfect example of it with Nokia's Windows NT offering currently on sale.. if they could have easily ported the PureView system from the 808 to windows phone they would have done it right away.. that would stamp their authority on imaging right away, and they will sell a lot of phones. Obviously the size is not an issue.. the 920 is bigger and heavier than the 808, and no one seems to mind..

Just watch how long it takes for Nokia to make PureView pro work on Windows.. they have the whole set up ready to go, the module contains all the necessary hardware because it has the companion chip needed for the extra processing built into the camera module.. so.. what's stopping them ?
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-11-28 23:15
Someone here said it was something to do with kernels and such, may have been in this thread.

But im with with reeflotz, i think if they really wanted to Nokia could stick the 808 camera in a Windows Phone. It may cost more but i dont think its at all impossible. I just think Nokia's new image of sleek and sexy Windows phones does not involve massive camera humps. They're simply competing with Apple and Samsung now and dare not stray from the stereotypical slim profile.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-11-28 23:19
True but the 920 is hardly what you call slim
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-11-28 23:28
It is.

Unless you compare it to what id call ultra slim phones. Anything thats under 1cm i consider ultra slim. Apparently the 920 is 10.7mm thin, compare that to my N8 which is 12.9mm and i consider that slim.

We've all gotten so used to seeing phones like the SGS3, iPhone 5, HTC One X etc all having sub-1cm waistlines that anything more seems fat !!
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-11-29 02:28
I mentioned the kernels.. and yes, it will be really hard to port the 808 system to a monolithic kernel.

As far as slim goes.. I completely agree, anything below 13mm is slim enough. My iphone 5 is too thin.. I think 11-12 is perfect.
reeflotz
Hazel
PM
Posted: 2012-11-29 05:13
Well if you mention Xenon flash proper cameraphone, true that android will have a problem but not because of compatibility, but I think its battery life, symbian is a much lighter os, yes your point about the OS is a factor too just I don't see it as a major factor to prevent them using pureview on WP. As for better optics and sensor they can equip it if they want to, although to be honest its kind of hard to imagine a thicker android phone must be because we are used to too slim phones as you guys said. In fact I agree phones today are too slim, easliy slips off my hand.

Anyway I don't think 808 is the last one, pretty sure they're not going to waste their research. I agree with etaab "they're simply competing with Apple and Samsung now and dare not stray from the stereotypical slim profile." Kind of like playing it safe for now.
Hazel J20i [Bricked], Sony Xperia Go
reeflotz.blogspot.com
reeflotz@deviantart
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-11-29 11:03
Not many of us would use a Xenon flash enough to drain a battery proportionately quicker than someone using a LED flash or not using one at all. Surely ?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 252627 ... 939495  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic