Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia 808 PureView Thread And Discussion

Previous  123 ... 91011 ... 939495  Next
Author Nokia 808 PureView Thread And Discussion
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-07-31 07:48
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2012-07-31 06:30:24, Guarulhos wrote:
The 808 proves that Nokia can innovate, and its PureView technology has piqued the interest of serious photographers, being one of the most important innovations - arguable the most important - in mobile photography since the smarphone era dawned five or so years ago.

Said photographers, if they're also iPhone or Android phone owners, will be b!tching and moaning about the suckyness of Nokia Belle. They will still be carrying their old phones and keeping a second SIM card in the 808...

I am amazed by the 808's camera. But what Nokia did, was similar to the "camera-phone" featured in the Flight of the Conchords...
[ This Message was edited by: AbuBasim on 2012-07-31 06:55 ]
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-07-31 08:22
Symbian 10.1 is fine..

the camera is amazing.. given, lots going on for it. But, for me, the most amazing part is that it manages to produce great quality in incredibly small file sizes. I guess the PureView algorithm really works, cleaning up the image from junk/noise, so you are left with.. detail.

460 kb @ 5Mpix. it doesn't make any sense otherwise. In 5Mpix auto mode the files rearly exceed 1 mb. but quality is still great. I can't think of any other camera/phone .. whatever, that can achieve such results.

800 kb

[ This Message was edited by: cu015170 on 2012-07-31 07:26 ]
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-07-31 13:53

On 2012-07-31 08:22:59, cu015170 wrote:
460 kb @ 5Mpix. it doesn't make any sense otherwise. In 5Mpix auto mode the files rearly exceed 1 mb. but quality is still great. I can't think of any other camera/phone .. whatever, that can achieve such results.

The lesser amount of noise in 808 shots will make the JPEG files smaller, assuming of course that the 808 is very gentle in noise reduction like the N8.
ILoveBhe
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2012-07-31 15:55

The lesser amount of noise in 808 shots will make the JPEG files smaller, assuming of course that the 808 is very gentle in noise reduction like the N8.

At full resolution in my opinion n8 and 808 produce the same image quality even on pixel peep, however when the 808 is on its pureview mode, even at low light, almost all the junk, the noise are totally removed and that it produces a clean and ultra clear picture that even the n8 cannot come close. I dont have any idea though how that relates to filesize, do image noise beef up filesize too? Please enlighten me
[ This Message was edited by: ILoveBhe on 2012-07-31 15:00 ]
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-07-31 17:58

On 2012-07-31 15:55:48, ILoveBhe wrote:
I dont have any idea though how that relates to filesize, do image noise beef up filesize too? Please enlighten me

To put it simply, JPEG compression works by eliminating similar details. Without noise, a cloud-free sky for example will be a uniform blue shade. With noise, you will have what looks like you had poured fine grained sugar over the photo. With low compression, these tiny speckles of noise details also need to be saved, bringing up the file size.

If you have a photo editor on your computer which has a noise effect, try adding this effect to a photo and save it before and after adding the noise as a JPEG with low compression to see the difference in file size.
[ This Message was edited by: AbuBasim on 2012-07-31 17:01 ]
davidsic
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2012-07-31 18:41

On 2012-07-31 07:48:03, AbuBasim wrote:

On 2012-07-31 06:30:24, Guarulhos wrote:
The 808 proves that Nokia can innovate, and its PureView technology has piqued the interest of serious photographers, being one of the most important innovations - arguable the most important - in mobile photography since the smarphone era dawned five or so years ago.

Said photographers, if they're also iPhone or Android phone owners, will be b!tching and moaning about the suckyness of Nokia Belle. They will still be carrying their old phones and keeping a second SIM card in the 808...

I am amazed by the 808's camera. But what Nokia did, was similar to the "camera-phone" featured in the Flight of the Conchords...
[ This Message was edited by: AbuBasim on 2012-07-31 06:55 ]

Yeah i agree...

Why inflict at yourself a punishment to use a symbian phone !? In this review i read
Nokia didn't release the 808 PureView in the hope of making much of a dent in the smartphone market - the Symbian operating system is obsolete, and Nokia's future plans are focussed on Microsoft's Windows Phone OS.

I have it but i sale it. it's impossible for me to use this thing everyday.

Too bad, great cam, bad phone.
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-08-01 09:05
It depends on what you use your phone for, and how. I use mine in a business environment, and it works very well for that. Voice calls, E-mail, documents viewing, google/bing search, the browser is also fine with flash switched off. No problems at all.

In terms of multimedia, I don't play games, so that takes care of that. Music playback is amazing, video playback is very good, the mobile youtube site works great, if not there is cutetube, FM transmitter. Overall.. no problems.

Social.. Gravity is probably one of the best twitter apps on the market, so twitter is coverd. Facebook.. the built in one sucks, I only use it to post pics straight from the camera. Otherwise i use fMobi, not great, but adequate.

Apps: all the basics are covered. Skype,Office editor,skydrive/dropbox clients,last.fm radio client, internet radio, built in maps/gps, google maps, foresquare, gnews readers, podcast client, voice recorder,unit converters... very few essential things are actually missing.

local connectivity.. That is probably one of the strongest points of the platform.

Its a great smartphone, with a camera.. it all depends on your needs.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-08-01 09:56
Couldnt agree more.

Some of the main things i miss about using my old N8 as my main phone is its camera, for obvious reasons, the FM transmitter which i only realised i was missing when i tried to use it on my S3 realising it doesnt have one, and its brilliant speaker.

The Galaxy S3 speaker is so quiet by comparison. Often in anything other than a quiet room watching videos is impossible without headphones.

And as i said earlier, when using my S3 for a few days without break and then going back to my N8 for some reason, Symbian is so much more stable and ready. The options are there to use straight away. Android is meant to be flat and easier to use but i actually find it harder in many parts of the menus and interface.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2012-08-01 10:38
Wait, there was something like FM transmitter on a phone? Why I find out about it so late?:D It's a really cool thing to have on a phone, I would rather have dual-core and FM transmitter than quad-core and nothing. It's really sad how things go these days. The only thing that matters is if CPU is the newest technology, 1nm would the best, and 10GHz, preferably 16 cores, it doesn't matter that the phone itself won't use it, it looks good on a paper. I'm starting to admire Nokia for what it did. All phones are the same today except Nokia Symbian, I wonder why it died? Bad PR? Windows Phone is shit compared to Symbian...
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-08-01 20:08
Simply because of two reasons:

1 - Symbian being rather old does not support all the more recent and modern developers tools. If it does, they've just been bolted on to existing coding in a hack and slash way. One day, Android will reach this stage also and will be scrapped. So, Symbians support for higher screen resolutions, chipsets, processors, graphics processors etc is sadly lacking behind the new operating systems. Which results in less developer support and a worse user experience than the fluidity of Android etc

2 - Far too much competition from a mass market that has moved from feature phones to smartphones, competitors doing better because of the issues in reason 1, and the evolution of app ecosystems.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
ILoveBhe
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2012-08-02 02:17
Whose idea is it anyway that this phone is to rival other smartphones? Everybody knows symbian is not even in the competition anymore for the smartphones category. What this phone brags is its superb camera that abyss all others including its predecessor, as the title speaks, none about price, OS, cores and others. If you love mobile photos but cant live with Symbian OS, stop criticizing the phone and continue drooling over its camera. If others can live with broken joysticks and broken flexes and not a single high tech application or fancy OS but only for the cam, so there are a lot more reasons to love the Nokia 808. It has the greatest camera on a phone, it has a decent list of applications and a not bad OS. I want the best phone cam out there to snap the moments not the noise at any cost and this is it.
[ This Message was edited by: ILoveBhe on 2012-08-02 13:51 ]
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-08-02 09:33
the camera has A LOT of potential.. it was obvious from the prototype shots back in Feb

ILoveBhe
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2012-08-02 14:36
youre such a great photographer Cu015170 i envy your shots i wish i have tha talent like yours, and how i wish i hav places like those to shoot
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2012-08-02 17:48

On 2012-08-02 14:36:18, ILoveBhe wrote:
youre such a great photographer Cu015170 i envy your shots i wish i have tha talent like yours, and how i wish i hav places like those to shoot

Thank you.. you are very kind I am just lucky to be living in a photogenic environment.. sometimes it feels like I can just point the camera in a random direction, and that is all I have to do.

I am glad that I can share my photography here.. its a great website for that. Actually, i think this website, and the people that have been sharing on it, long before I started, are in a way pioneers. One day everyone will realize that phones have replaced compact cameras, and here people have been entertaining the notion for quite some time...

people "hate" it, don't like it.. but the 808 is a huge step forward in that direction, and it will force other phone makers to keep innovating in that direction.
[ This Message was edited by: cu015170 on 2012-08-02 16:50 ]
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2012-08-02 17:50
Unlike my place

On 2012-08-02 17:48:40, cu015170 wrote:
Thank you.. you are very kind I am just lucky to be living in a photogenic environment.. sometimes it feels like I can just point the camera in a random direction, and that is all I have to do.

I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 91011 ... 939495  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic