Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia 808 PureView Thread And Discussion

Previous  123 ... 777879 ... 939495  Next
Author Nokia 808 PureView Thread And Discussion
fbloise
Nokia 808 PureView
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-03-26 09:15
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
And I decided to finally put an end to my misery and sell the Lumia 1020 (with camera grip and shit).

I'm back at the 808 at the moment. Used the article from AAS to setup my google calendars and sync my contacts with outlook. Best of two worlds.

Yesterday, battery life was awesome, listening music and watching videos using Cutetube all day. At night I still had 40% left. Love this phone. If Nokia / Microsoft can't beat this phone from 2012 and produce something same or better, then I'm better off using the 808 until the end of times.
"Haters are just confused Admirers" My Website
Foro.DO Facebook Group at http://www.facebook.com/groups/esato/

BBM: 2B5E52DF
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2014-03-26 11:10

On 2014-03-26 09:15:11, fbloise wrote:
And I decided to finally put an end to my misery and sell the Lumia 1020 (with camera grip and shit).

I'm back at the 808 at the moment. Used the article from AAS to setup my google calendars and sync my contacts with outlook. Best of two worlds.

Yesterday, battery life was awesome, listening music and watching videos using Cutetube all day. At night I still had 40% left. Love this phone. If Nokia / Microsoft can't beat this phone from 2012 and produce something same or better, then I'm better off using the 808 until the end of times.

YUP!!! Its a great phone and I agree 99%.... I just can't bring myself to sell the 1020 as of yet as I still occasionally enjoy its smart cam functions and fact that I have easy access to my skydrive which holds every camera phone photo I have taken since 2005. Its funny though, the more I play with the 1020, the more I realize how much I LOVE my 808.... the ability to carry an extra battery is princess, the image quality, sound quality, ability to LOCK an NFC tag and FM transmitter are all big winners for me - not to mention the perfect size phone.

Who am I kidding though... I'll never SELL the 1020, it'll just wind up in the closet with the rest of my Nokia collection
[ This Message was edited by: mlife on 2014-03-26 10:12 ]
[addsig]
fbloise
Nokia 808 PureView
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-03-26 13:41
I havent sold my 1020 yet. I'm waiting for my brother to give me green light, as he might want it (he is a WP8 freak).

But me, I have this indecision at the moment. Yesterday they launched the HTC One M8, but the camera still shit. The Xperia Z1 compact camera is on the same quality as the Samsung Galaxy S3 to me (crap and overexposed). What is worse: I got paid the yearly bonus (so my pocket is "itching" to buy new stuff I wont probably need)

So right now I'm back using the 808 as main phone / camera and the Blackberry Q5 for the "social needs" (facebook, bbm). Both have excellent battery, both OS are stable as hell and have tons of configurations I need and use (file explorer is the main, VPN the second).

You know what? I might stay with them for few months.

But before I wanna hear the wise recommendation from cu015170.

emerson_shei
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2014-03-27 06:15
User Review: a Possible Nokia 808 PureView Battery Bargain

http://www.allaboutsymbian.co[....]_review_possible_Nokia_808.php
fbloise
Nokia 808 PureView
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-03-27 11:29
Good one, I just added to my wishlist in amazon uk. I might travel few times this year, that will be handy.

cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2014-03-27 15:09
If you know how to set it up, and you don't mind the few well known shortcomings of Symbian, the 808 is still one of the best smartphones available. Its a very powerful device...

I am in the same boat as you (mlife and fbloise) but I haven't even tried to replace the 808 yet, but at the same time I know that I will have to do so sooner rather than later.

I've had the chance to test most "modern" phones out there, and for my needs.. the 808 holds it's own. If I have to be honest the iPhone 5/5s are the only two devices that I would consider replacing the 808 with if I had to do it today. iOS7 is very close to Symbian in terms of functionality.. its pretty obvious that Apple took a very close look at Symbian 10.1

Android is out of the question for me. WP is nice but there is way too many things missing, or that either don't work for me personally. A lot of that will change with 8.1, which brings me to the following question

But before I wanna hear the wise recommendation from cu015170.

So.. I will just share my thought process on this

I plan on waiting for WP 8.1 to launch and then waiting a few months to get some feedback from users. WPcentral's forum is a good source of user feedback in general, and of course I plan on testing it for myself at some point. I am sure that there will be plenty of reviews out there, and I will be waiting for the GSMarena one in particular.

If WP 8.1 seems generally acceptable, I will then just wait for the next camera flagship and probably buy that one... assuming that the sensor size is at least as big as the 1020 or the 808. I will probably wait for a few image samples and make a cardinal decision.

If they mess this one up and its not up to par for my needs in terms of IQ and audio recording, then I will most likely buy the iPhone 6 or whatever they decide to call it.. it should be out (or close to being out) by that time.

I spoke to a guy who works for Nokia here in silicon valley and he told me that a 1020 successor will be released sometime this year, which isn't much and most of us already knew this, but its still something. He also told me that they are also moving the Nokia HQ from Sunnyvale to the Microsoft campus in Mountain View,CA.

Until all of this is happening I plan on staying with my 808... I really don't feel like I am missing out on anything. OneDrive access would be nice, as mlife mentioned, but having a Lumia 2520 as my tablet I have access to that on the go anyway..

So in short my advice is .. wait for at least 4-5 months so we can get a solid picture of what's going on. There are too many things "about to happen" so I think its best to wait it out and see

Hope this helps!

Miki69
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2014-03-27 21:35
since we're into this "blast from the past" mode - I give you my babies

God I miss those golden days of Nokia

As for 1020 vs 808, I'm fully with cu015170, I could copy/paste his post. Waiting for 8.1 and 1030 or whatever called (to be honest, the ONLY thing I'm missing in 808 is the OIS).

Xperia Z2 - nice, but not there yet (plus too big for my taste)
HTC ONE - disappointing! (plus too big)
iPhone 6 - maybe?

or (if I want to be nasty): No xenon - no go!

Cheers,
Miki
[ This Message was edited by: Miki69 on 2014-03-27 20:56 ]
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-03-27 22:18
cu015170

As someone who uses iOS7.1 daily, I have to disagree with you, iOS and Symbian similar in functionality? There is tons missing in iOS, to this day, there are so many things you simply can't do, from lack of File Management and Transfer, lack of customizability, to rather awful multitasking, lack of Camera settings etc... Unless you plan on Jailbreaking you will feel very limited.

What iOS does best is simplicity and quality, the apps are top notch, very well optimized, fluid and easy to use, it feels "natural" to use. Going from a 808PV to a 5S would be a greater adjustment than going from Symbian to Android. In terms of functionality I'd say Symbian is closer to Android and WP is getting closer to them.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
fbloise
Nokia 808 PureView
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-03-28 16:36
In my opinion, the closest thing to Symbian is BB10 in terms of Os management, how good is managing ram and resources.

That's why I just bought a blackberry Q10 to be used with my 808. I have the Q5 which has less memory, less processor, no hdmi, and those are things I need. But if you guys havent try one, I recommend you to do so: try one BB10 device, for couple of days. You will see how stable it is.

Back to 808, the final thing that made me decided to go for the 808 is the 1020 camera delay. It takes 4 seconds between photos (even when set to 5 MPX only) and sometimes even more when firing the camera pro app. That was unacceptable.

I will use my 808 and the Q10 for a good while. If I see the rumored Blackberry Q20 is any good, I might give it a try.

My needs are simple for main phone: excellent camera, stable Os and excellent battery life. For the secondary phone I ask only to have good battery life and to be smallish enough to carry along with the primary phone in the same pocket.

finally, thanks guys for your opinion.

emerson_shei
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2014-03-30 23:36
Nokia’s Pureview Flagships Vs Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Vs Sony Xperia Z1 Compact Vs Jolla (Part 1)

http://pureviewclub.com/2014/22088

Spoiler: 808 PureView Wins
emerson_shei
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2014-03-30 23:40
Nokia’s Pureview Flagships Vs Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Vs Sony Xperia Z1 Compact Vs Jolla (Part 2)

http://pureviewclub.com/2014/22185

Spoiler: Again... 808 PureView Wins
emerson_shei
Sony Xperia Z3
PM
Posted: 2014-03-30 23:45
Battle In 8MP – Comparing The Nokia 808 PureView Vs Sony Xperia Z1 Compact Vs Jolla

http://pureviewclub.com/2014/22274

Spoiler: 808 PureView Wins... Not a Chance. Physics Wins. Physics Always Wins
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2014-04-07 18:58
This is quite funny

http://www.xperiablog.net/201[....]kes-nokia-808-pureviews-crown/

are they serious??
Phone?? What phone??
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2014-04-07 21:41
Depending on perspective, one could say that the iPhone 4 has better IQ than say.. GS5 .. it depends on how you choose to look at IQ and score accordingly.

If the Z2 has a better camera than the 808 then the same should be said for about 10 other phones out there..
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2014-04-07 21:54
That article is a total joke!!! Was it by chance published on April 1st (that's the ONLY way it makes ANY sense).

How can they so blatantly ignore the obvious insurmountable sensor size deficit which the Z2 has in its path... NO SOFTWARE can overcome that. I had to stop reading that post after the 1st paragraph - it just reeked of fanboy too much for me to tolerate another sentence. [addsig]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 777879 ... 939495  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic