Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Huawei Ascend G300 it doesn't have to be expensive

Author Huawei Ascend G300 it doesn't have to be expensive
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-05-04 17:42
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Yesterday,after reading many reviews of the new Huawei Ascend G300 I thought I would give one a go!! Exclusively on Vodafone UK for 3 months,this handset packs a hell of a punch for just a mere £100!! Yes,all budget handsets will compromise somewhere. But this device is the first to really break that mould of cheap meaning poor build,poky screen,rubbish camera & slow speeds. The Huawei G300 has specs of a handset costing alot more than £100. The surprise for me was that it does not show anywhere on the device that it is only a £100!! The build quality is yes,plastic with the rear cover looking like metal but is smoothed plastic. But there are no creaks & it is well put together. Specs are
4 inch 800x480 LCD display with Corning Gorilla Glass(yes at this price) it even says it on the box!!
Android 2.3.6(upgrade to ICS coming in summer)
7.2mbps HSDPA
5 mega pixel camera with AF & flash CMOS Sensor
Dual mics for Noise suppression
Internal memory 2.5 gig & memory card upto 32 gig
1,500mAh battery
512 of RAM
1 gighz Snapdragon CPU MSM7227A
140g
Now these specs you might think are not mind blowing & not for the ultimate power user. But at this price point it is mind blowing. And as I have spent a few days with this device now I can honestly say it is fantastic!!

So far no bugs found except the back speaker is extremely quiet. Camera takes decent shots in daylight & don't look too bad unless you zoom in or blow them up. Video recording is the one compromise at 800x480.
As for battery life it has been a surprise to me that this Huawei handset managed 2 half days on quite heavy usage on a 1,500mAh battery!! On standby it rarely moves the battery meter. I have run 2 benchmark tests & came up with quite a surprise that this budget handset beat the older Samsung Nexus S!!
Call quality is the loudest & best I have heard on any phone for a long time.
Although this handset is not the next big thing it seems to me that Huawei are ones to watch especially with their upcoming Dual & Quad Core handsets due soon. They are already one of the largest manufacturers in the world of handsets & also network infrastructure!!
I am unsure how Huawei do it at this price but they should be applauded.
For me the strange this is I have found this handset faster than the Arc S in use. It never seems to slow down much & having the larger 2.5 gig internal memory helps too alongside the low internal memory on the Arc S.
This won't be my main phone but a decent spare & also for a short period is my main phone.
The specs & speed is similar too say the HTC Desire S in my mind.
The home screens flick through the same as the new HTC Sense with a 3D look to it.

To sum up this handset would be to say if you are on a tight budget & want quality then this is something to consider.
It will be a Vodafone exclusive in UK till summer then sold sim free. It can already be found online too.

Here are some photos

Benchmarks:

Quandrant:

AnTuTu benchmark:

Not too bad for a budget smartphone!!
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2012-05-04 21:30 ]
Phone?? What phone??
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-05-04 23:12

[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2012-05-07 19:54 ]
Phone?? What phone??
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2012-05-05 01:14
looking good for an android
Pricetag is definitely good
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-05-06 14:11
This phone is very much like a HTC in some things. Also has fast boot and seriously the fast boot is faster than the HTC's I have used before. Starts up in 8 seconds to home screen I was shocked. Although am sure new quad cores will be faster
Phone?? What phone??
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi