Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Samsung > Samsung Galaxy SIII Discussion

Previous  123 ... 678 ... 626364  Next
Author Samsung Galaxy SIII Discussion
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-05-11 20:18
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Well does it really matter when you look at the HD display on the Galaxy Note. That uses Pentile and it looks super sharp
Phone?? What phone??
djin
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-05-11 20:45
No I mean in terms of longevity, he will be using it for atleast 2-3 years, and was getting it at a good price.. But now Samsung have said that amoled+ used in s2 does not have good longevity..
Xperia T + N 96

R.I.P Desire
mriley
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2012-05-11 21:10
Pentile displays are also cheaper to make. After reading up on it I've heard you can't tell the difference between pentile and rgb. All the bad rep its got is because its been implemented badly in previous phones like Motorola's.
The Galaxy S used a pentile display and that looks good.
Esato's Newbie of the year and Most Helpful Member 2010!
-------------------
Life is just a ride, enjoy it while you can
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-05-11 22:24
You can tell the difference depending on the screen res or size. The first Galaxy S phone used pentile @ 800x480 and you could see it was less sharp up close compared to the non pentile GS2. But it's harder to tell on the HD screens
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-05-11 23:45
+1 in agreement to that !

The original Galaxy S screen was great imo, as already mentioned it wasnt as sharp as the iPhone 4's retina display and looked much more jagged.

I have no worrys about the S3's screen, many sites and first look hands on people who attended the unpacked event said the screen was the best they've ever seen on a phone.

Im really anal about screens these days. I returned a laptop last year because it had one single solitary dead pixel. Every time i buy a new device the first thing i do is switch it on, load up a white screen and look for dead pixels or colour spots or shadows. My N8 has a line across the top part of the screen, but i put that down to a cheap amoled in use from Nokia and not a proper Samsung super amoled.

@ djin - im sure they didnt screw over S2 owners at all. I think it simply comes down to time and experience. When Samsung first cooked up th S2's screen im sure they didnt think much about its longevity after two years of ownership, but now clearly they are.

I did read an article however somewhere which stated the typical amoled would take around 8 years to dim as the organic pixels die.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-05-12 01:13
I am too about screens. I have had dead pixels,dust under the screen(really hate that) and also light leakage on a Nokia Lumia 710. It made the blacks look yellow
Phone?? What phone??
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2012-05-12 01:45
I don't buy that Samsung excuse..
While different longevity is probably true, it's not the real reason behind Samsung's decision imo..

I think they didn't have time to develop an HD RGB AMOLED.. That's all..
It's costly, and AMOLED is still a new technology in its early stages..

And while it may be the biggest downside of the GSIII, it's still not a deal breaker anyway..
So what all the fuss about!!

Hope though HD AMOLED+ be ready by end of the year..
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-05-12 20:05
No i dont think thats true at all. To be honest, the size versus pixels increase from the S2 to the S3 isnt enough imo to warrant not being able to manufacture a RGB HD screen. Im sure Samsung could quite easily put in those screens, but some reason made them not. Maybe it was this longevity issue, maybe it was cost, but i dont think it was due to not having time to develop them. It has been well over a year since the S2's screen were cemented as a final product. To simply increase that to 720 resolution over 4.8" wouldnt take much effort imo.

So no i dont think development time is the reason. It would seem highly unlikely.

Anyway, have we all seen the Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III vs. HTC One X: Alien vs. Predator comparsion article over on the wonderful GSM Arena ? A very interesting read. According to GSM Arena the S3 wins on almost all specifications and tests, but this year HTC have come so close its a draw.

I really wish i could afford both phones, im totally in love with the white HTC One X, but i so want the S3 also.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-05-12 22:58
Yes I read that too. I still prefer the look feel and the overall HTC interface. Love the One X screen and the looks too. Love HTC Sense which is less heavy now too. And at last HTC have finally put the LCD close to the glass so no more dust issues.
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-05-12 23:29
Only time will tell. LCD units arent usually fused to the glass, which i'd rather it would be.

Dust between the two is completely unacceptable for me, which is another plus in the case of the S3 which shouldnt not have the problem.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-05-12 23:56
Yes dust under a screen is just poor sealing or quality control. Samsung never had that issue except with the Jet phone.
Phone?? What phone??
rikken
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2012-05-13 22:19
A little preview : http://mobile-review.com/review/samsung-galaxy-s3-fl-en.shtml#4
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2012-05-14 01:08

On 2012-05-13 22:19:25, rikken wrote:
A little preview : http://mobile-review.com/review/samsung-galaxy-s3-fl-en.shtml#4

"little" ?

Anyways, seems nice, apart from the interface. It looks like it was designed by a 12-year old. I mean, look at the music player! *shudder*
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-05-16 21:24
http://www.gsmarena.com/uk_cu[....]_iii_a_day_early-news-4256.php
Some news. I think TW does look a little bland the icons. Anyway,everyone will be rushing to be an early adopter only to be stung by software bugs I must say the GS3 camera takes great shots!! Although the HTC screen looked slightly better in sun light
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2012-05-16 20:36 ]
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2012-05-16 22:08
I actually like Touchwhiz icons, i think thats why the Galaxy phones appeal to me, as do Bada phones.

Heh, who says there will be software bugs ? not all phones have software bugs at release, ive had several phones which are fine or certain software bugs have been in lesser markets than the UK.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 678 ... 626364  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic