Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > Next Sony Xperia smartphone might have a 4.3 inch AMOLED display

Previous  12
Author Next Sony Xperia smartphone might have a 4.3 inch AMOLED display
nagirodu
K660 Wine on black
PM
Posted: 2012-04-10 03:46
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2012-04-09 21:40:29, worf1000 wrote:
randomuser

Active matrix is adoption in Oled, but it's not 100% Oled needed.
That article is 4 years old ans 1 one year later on the site placed and Sony WAS planning or WANTED to USE active Matrix adoption in their TFT but it's never happened the process according Sony engineer i know.

AMoled is a hype everybody call Oled= AMoled because it's hype name but in real world it's not 100% Oled display. Sony is heavy investing 100% OLED not adept (as i can remember) that men call Active Matrix until the time is right.

The OLED materials emit light and do not require a backlight from a transistor. A transistor is created by using three layers rather than the two layers used in a diode wits OLED is according to the engineer from Sony i know. SAMoled and AMoled use both OLled but use also a TFT inside and that's my point.

Why think Sony don't have AMoled screens for years? Sony XEL-1 has also no AMOled screen just Oled screen even the PVS has no AMoled but Oled screen. What i know the prototype has no single Transistor in it both device i mention if the real production is difference's to guarantee long life i do not know.

And according him it will take several years that TV will use Oled only not SAMoled or AMloed to compromise what Samsung and LG do and when they are ready with their Oled development. They also almost ready with their new Cristal led TV development to fight wit SAMoled/AMoled displays from Samsung or LG later this year.

It's easy for make AMoled in large display but Oled is very difficult to make that's why Samsung put Active Matrix in their Phone and TV because it's easy to implement for larger display and maybe will Sony use Active Matrix in their panels because they already far with their development. It's difficult for Sony to use AMoled or Oled instead only becouse SAMoled or AMoled has several disadvantage over their LED-backlit LCD.

But the fact is SAMoled or AMoled is not 100% Oled only, active Matrix is a adoption to make bigger or larger display nothing more. And maybe Sony will use a another type of Active Matrix for their Phone business (what they already do in their (Cristal led) he won't tell me that that means Sony is planning something.

Point is, SAMoled or AMoled is not 100% Oled display becouse they use both stuff.

I hope you understand what i mention.

TFS the information, buddy.
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2012-04-10 06:11
@worf1000

Give me a proof to back up your statements. It is simply not true that OLED screens can work without a controller. Sony's OLED devices all feature Active Matrix controllers including the PS Vita and the XEL-1.

rss_ndrsn
Sony Xperia X Performance
PM
Posted: 2012-04-10 07:16
^he is probably taking about Passive-matrix oled because Sony frequently use these type of OLED screen. Also, PM-OLED does not require a tft backplane like AMOLED. I guess that's why wortoff keep insisting 100% OLED.

Actually, I think Sony has developed a new AMOLED screen to rival Samsung Super AMOLED. I guess this is what they are going to showcase on their next smartphone. I'm looking forward to it.
[ This Message was edited by: rss_ndrsn on 2012-04-10 06:50 ]
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2012-04-10 07:46

On 2012-04-10 07:16:42, rss_ndrsn wrote:
^he is probably taking about Passive-matrix oled because Sony frequently use these type of OLED screen. Also, PM-OLED does not require a tft backplane like AMOLED. I guess that's why wortoff keep insisting 100% OLED.

Actually, I think Sony has developed a PMOLED screen that can give AMOLED run for its money. Sony have barely incorporated AMOLED screen into their devices. So I guess it is something to look forwsrd two
[ This Message was edited by: rss_ndrsn on 2012-04-10 06:35 ]

Actually Sony (or any other major consumer electronics manufacturer) do not use PMOLED for various reasons :-

1) It has slower refresh rate compared to AMOLED
2) Energy consumption is much higher
3) Not suitable for large size applications but small sizes of below 3 inches
4) Shorter life span of upto only 2 years
5) Not possible to use high resolutions

There is no commercial PMOLED screen in the world with a high resolution greater than 3 inches.
rss_ndrsn
PM
Posted: 2012-04-10 08:10

On 2012-04-10 07:46:19, randomuser wrote:

On 2012-04-10 07:16:42, rss_ndrsn wrote:

Actually, I think Sony has developed a PMOLED screen that can give AMOLED run for its money. Sony have barely incorporated AMOLED screen into their devices. So I guess it is something to look forwsrd two

Actually Sony (or any other major consumer electronics manufacturer) do not use PMOLED for various reasons :-

1) It has slower refresh rate compared to AMOLED
2) Energy consumption is much higher
3) Not suitable for large size applications but small sizes of below 3 inches
4) Shorter life span of upto only 2 years

5) Not possible to use high resolutions

There is no commercial PMOLED screen in the world with a high resolution greater than 3 inches.

Sony actually do but mostly on little screens of their mp3's, smart watch and etc. Sony actually have very few devices with AMOLEd screen like PS Vita, the two walkman pmps, the 11" inch worldd first OLED TV and the iconic cliq PDA since 2004. Compared those to the mp3 walkman models from Sony, you could say Sony uses PMOLED more than AMOLED. Why not PMOLED is cheap!

Anyway, I have read and understand the stuff about OLED screens so there is no need to point out that. But then again, I was just trying to get where wortoff was comjng from. I can actually give you a link where you got those informations.
Lol..

Well, I just hope that first google smartphone with AMOLED screen would be awesome and beat the hell out of the current OLED technologies.
[ This Message was edited by: rss_ndrsn on 2012-04-10 07:20 ]
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2012-04-10 08:45
^
I know but nobody really even remembers most of those tiny PMOLED screen devices anymore. The newest one is of course the Sony smart watch.

And lol I pointed those PMOLED disadvantages just to prove that Sony or any other manufacturer simply do not use anything else (PMOLED) for screens larger than 3 inches. Worf100 keeps insisting that the Vita uses a 100% OLED (which only could mean PMOLED as there is no other alternative) so I only wanted him to understand that AMOLED is not a "hype" or Samsung trademark and the Vita and all other large screen OLED applications from Sony including Trimaster OLED monitors use Active Matrix Controllers.

And not many would know but Sony used OLED screens in Sony Ericsson phones in Japan since a few years. Sony Ericsson S001 was the first in 2009 with OLED 3.3 inch screen.
nagirodu
K660 Wine on black
PM
Posted: 2012-04-17 07:40
I know that the debate between Worf1000 and other members over OLED was quite a bit of dragging.I just had a look at the Specs of Panasonic Eluga, I found it to be sporting an OLED 4.3" Inch display.

http://www.gsmarena.com/panasonic_eluga-4560.php
[ This Message was edited by: nagirodu on 2012-04-17 06:48 ]
rss_ndrsn
PM
Posted: 2012-04-18 03:45
^The screen is AMOLED. Manufacturers barely used that name before and opted for just OLED only. Even now, less manufacturers use the term AMOLED but went for the specific variants of it like Super AMOLED and Clear Black Display instead. The term AMOLED only became popular since Samsung announced the Super AMOLED screen. Just like LCD, all of the HD LCD HDTV that can be bought in the market right now are all AMLCD or active-matrix liquid crystal display. But you barely heard the term AMLCD because again manufacturers chose to use the specific type of AMLCD instead in naming their respective displays to differientiate their technology from the competition. Best example for that are SLCD and IPS.

Anyway if the spec sheet says OLED, then that Eluga's screen is automatically considered as an AMOLED. Remember, no display screen can function properly without an addressing scheme. Since only Active-Matrix or Passive-Matrix can be used with OLED screen and only Active-Matrix OLED screen supports high resolution and big display, therefore the Eluga screen is undoubtedly an AMOLED one.

What kind of AMOLED screen Eluga is using? That I do not know!

Just take what wort1000 is saying about 100% OLED with a pinch of salt. His claims are "unfounded" and "illogical". A display screen can never function properly without an addressing scheme, and in OLED case where Matrix addressing is the only type that can used with it; therefore OLED screen can either be a PMOLED or AMOLED. The 5 components that wort1000 is claiming that make up a "100% percent OLED screen" is actually the simplest form of OLED screen which is the PMOLED. Sonce OLED comes with many forms, which all are either PMOLED or AMOLED, the simplest model was only selected to show how OLED differs from other sdisplay screens such as LCD and Plasma. I hope that my post has helped you understand OLED more.

Please do not listen to what wort1000. What I am saying is the "fact" not some silly interpretation of an otherwise simple fact!
[ This Message was edited by: rss_ndrsn on 2012-04-18 05:19 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi