Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > What can be reasons that the adoption of ICS been so slow?

Author What can be reasons that the adoption of ICS been so slow?
ernesthelmer
Model not set
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-03-17 07:15
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Manufacturers have been slow to adopt Ice Cream Sandwich, and new data shows that this doesn't seem to be changing. Based on numbers gathered over a two week period ending on March 5th, ICS's piece of the Android marketshare grew just 0.6 percent, with Android 4.0 accounting for 1.6 percent of all Android devices. While not a huge number, it's still bigger than the 0.4 percent jump from January to February.Why is the adoption of ICS been so slow!! What can be the reasons???
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2012-03-17 09:17
Because more things needs to be done before manufacturers can release ICS handsets to consumers
mange69
Samsung Galaxy S III
PM
Posted: 2012-03-17 23:09
Wasn't SE supposed to be among the first brands to get new updates?
//Mange
Felimenta97
Sony Xperia S
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-03-18 00:34

On 2012-03-17 23:09:37, mange69 wrote:

At least they will be faster than Motorola.
I don't get people. Never Have, never will.
lolstebbo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-03-18 16:55

On 2012-03-17 23:09:37, mange69 wrote:

They weren't necessarily going to be the first brand to get updates, but they were the most transparent of all the OEMs and they're the only brand updating their entire line of phones from last year (as opposed to just the high-end models as the rest of the OEMs are doing), the latter aspect likely contributing to Sony's slight delay in roll-out.
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2012-03-18 17:20
True, however I am surprised because Sony having the lightest skin of all main Android OEM's, I would have guest they would of been a lot quicker. I remember last year they boasted about the lightness of their skin, stating that it would help bring fast updates, and in truth they did. There were two main updates last year for my arc that brought and array of new features.

So despite other OEM's (HTC and Samsung) having heavy, highly integrated skins, it is odd that they have managed to roll out ICS before Sony.

That said there are a lot of complaints about the Xpeira S launching on Gingerbread, people saying it's an 'outdated OS'. In my opinion that is a crazy argument, seeing as at this moment in time only the galaxy nexus has ICS (not including Chinese manufacturers etc.) its still the most widely used smartphone OS.
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-03-18 20:21
Galaxy Nexus isnt the only phone running ICS, as we speak Samsung and HTC are rolling out ICS in many regions to the Galaxy S2, Sensation, and Sensation XE, the Nexus S is also getting the update again.

By the way, HTC are not only updating 2011 phones, but their 2010 phones to, the Desire HD for example is getting ICS.

The reason why SE/Sony can update the entire 2011 range is because the ENTIRE range run on EXACTLY the same hardware (CPU, GPU and RAM), with the exception of Arc S running a tweaked S2 chip.

The ICS roll-out is taking longer probably due to optimizing custom UI to work with it, as AFAIK ICS does bring major changes under the hood, but its roll-out isnt too different from GB as far as i can see.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
dominiquelan
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2012-03-21 06:38
I can wait, but not for too long. I've tried using smartphones on ICS, and the performance is really something. I hope it arrives at SE soon.
Always on the lookout for new mobile phones online!
aka Dus
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2012-03-21 11:14
It's absurd that it takes so long. The OEM that allows the user to update to the latest Android version as it launches will gain an advantage. Let them ship their crapware via apps.
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-03-21 13:36
Galaxy Nexus on ICS doesn't perform any better than X S on GB.
And offers many things which are on ICS. I don't know what are these amazing gains from ICS.
a w a r e
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-03-21 15:00
Most dual-cores can out perform the Galaxy Nexus, both GALAXY S II, and GALAXY Note destroy it, especialy on ICS.
The GALAXY Nexus has a weak chipset compared to Samsung, Sony and HTC dual-cores.

ICS brings many under the hood improvements like using both cores fully when it comes to dual-core phones, it also now uses the GPU in the rest of the UI not just in games, thats why many will find it makes their phones faster and smoother. GS2 with official ICS update is a lot faster and smoother than any Android around now, i know as ive updated mine and i simply cant go back to anything less than 4.0.
Battery life is also improved in ICS, ive also noticed more RAM is available, my GS2 never drops under 300mb available RAM unless i play a huge game.
One of the biggest beneficiaries in ICS is the web browser, it makes huge leaps in terms of HTML5 performance and Javascript handling, its unbelievably fast, silky smooth and is even more functional allowing saving of pages for Offline reading and bringing a new UI, the difference between the ICS Web browser and Gingerbread browser is day and nite realy.

Other things ICS brings are the new Taskmanager which is not limited to just 6 or 8 app recently used apps, it shows as many as you have opened you can just swipe each one away and it closes. There's also Face Unlock which can be handy, new GMail app with a fresh new lovely yet simple UI, improved settings Menu, built in data counter, new YouTube app and the ability to tether via Bluetooth is added on top of using USB and WiFi ...those are some of the things you get in ICS, there are other nice little touches and conveniences i have left out so you can find for yourself when your phone gets ICS, its a great update.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-03-21 15:14
Thanks for this answer ideed. I didn't think about all those hardware improvements and I don't know why.
True, from this side it looks really convincing.
a w a r e
vlotnet
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-03-22 16:19
Looks like the recently-discussed Xperia Neo L will come with ICS.
Nice-looking. I would prefer a matte body though.

I wonder how the wi-fi, voice, speaker, etc. performs.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi