Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > Samsung Galaxy S III rumored to be just 7 mm thin

12  Next
Author Samsung Galaxy S III rumored to be just 7 mm thin
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2012-02-06 16:16
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Galaxy S III, Samsung's upcoming quad-core Android flagship smartphone is rumoured to be only 7 mm thin

Galaxy S III only 7 mm thin?

Esato News

Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-02-06 16:30
Phones are getting stupidly thin
Phone?? What phone??
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2012-02-06 16:49
why is thinner "stupid"?

as long as the body is made of material strong enough to withstand twisting, bending and other forces then the thinner the better as far as I am concerned
Platia1
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2012-02-06 17:16
Because ergonomics becomes a major issue.

A few people have had issues with the Galaxy S II, and a even thinner device could be even worse for ergonomics.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2012-02-06 17:36
can you give more details about that?
I loved the S2 and didn't find any ergonomic issue with it thickness.
bangsters
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-02-06 17:47
To me, thin is not the issue. The issue is the build quality. I don't like to pay 500+ on a phone that is too plasticky... hence I'm using an htc amaze now. if it will be like a razr in build quality then i'm all in
nicv27
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2012-02-06 17:51
I am not bothered about how thin a device is either as long as the battery can stand a good days usage.....
Samsung Galaxy S3 White iPad 2 32gb 3G +16/-0 Twitter.nicv27
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-02-06 19:20
With the ever increasing power demanding devices like this they need bigger batteries. Why does it need to be so skinny anyway?? Yes as long as build is good but recently in Samsung's phones it is not the case. Build is so light and plasticky it just feels like a cheap toy. Not what you'd expect from a premium device. Samsung make great phones inside but they need to take a note out of Motorola's book. I bet this will be same plastic again to keep costs down. I did not like how the GS2 felt in my hands something a few mm thicker is better for me. Personally,I would rather see some extra thickness & some lens pretection

Material things don't matter,but Rock n Roll does!!!!
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2012-02-06 18:43 ]
Phone?? What phone??
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2012-02-06 20:06
I think that the new droid maxx getting a 3300 mAh battery in a 9mm form factor suggests that batteries will be improving in other models soon, so hopefully that will answer your first concern.

I did like the SGS2 feel, its very tactile. Sure it is plasticy and flimsy when you pulled the back off, but when it is all together it feels rock solid. I guess that keeps the weight down as well as the cost.
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2012-02-06 20:12
I hope the SG III is made of Glass like iphone now that would make it look and feel amazing.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-02-06 20:16
As long as it ain't like the Arc/Arc S. When I had the Arc the plastics alarmed me it literally flexed in my hands It's why I do like the Xperia Ray now,it's slim but not too skinny & had metal around the frame making it more sturdy. Samsung did so well with it's Bada phones the build is amazingly solid with full metal jacket I just don't know why they don't do that with their premium Android devices As for battery yes I forgot about that Motorola one that is pure genius
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2012-02-06 19:18 ]
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-02-06 21:26
I love how my GS2 feels in hand, if they make the GS3 just as lite and 7mm thin id like that, not bothered by the plastic build of my GS2.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2012-02-06 23:12
The SGS2 feels good in hand and i am posting using mines right now. From the looks of it online with the back cover in hands i thought it would feel cheap and plasticky. It really does not feel that way in real life though.

I think we need to hold the new SGS3 in hand first before passing judgement on its ergonomics and quality.

Having said that I do think that Samsung needs to come up with nicer designs for their phones and tweak their software so that they stand out more.

Apple's designs have always stood out and look like they put plenty of time, effort and money into those two critical items.

If you add glass you increase the weight of the phone. Make it from mostly plastic weight goes down but quality might suffer.

Samsung seems to be going for thinnest and lightest.
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2012-02-07 00:07
They won't install a camera button it, but imagine handling a 7mm device to shoot a photo!! Even without the camera button it'd still be an ugly experience..
It's simply not comfortable..

As far as I know and experienced the build quality on the GSII is very good.. Actually top notch!!
But the light weight is again another factor that doesn't make the handling of the phone smooth!! When I hold a GSII it really feels like one of those dummy phones made for display!! A toy! Even if the build quality if all right, why make it that much light? What's the benefit? Not like my hand will get tired from those extra 50 grams at the end of the day!!
But I don't the light weight is due to thinness.. It's due to the material used..

Hope they sort these two factors out.. And innovate for a new design and some new hardware features instead of these meaningless "thin and light" marketing campaigns..
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2012-02-07 00:32
And personally I think that they are at the point where they need not go lighter or thinner.
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi