Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Motorola > Motorola wins in Germany against Apple, iCloud features banned, iPhone 4 disappears online

Author Motorola wins in Germany against Apple, iCloud features banned, iPhone 4 disappears online
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2012-02-03 14:12
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Phonearena

After scoring favorable outcomes with the ITC in its patent lawsuits against Apple, which allegedly had Google's backing, Motorola seems to have won big against Cupertino in Germany today.

The court awarded Motorola an injunction against the push email feature in iCloud, so German iOS users will probably be requested to set their email checking in another mode.

Apple has, due to an earlier ruling from November, also pulled its 3G/UMTS products from its German online store last night, such as the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and the 3G-enabled iPad. Retailers are still selling those, though, and Motorola will probably have a battle before it to ban those products across all channels. "Even if some iPad and iPhone models are currently not available in our online store in Germany, customers should have no problem finding these devices in our stores or from authorized dealers," said an Apple spokesman.

The Apple iPhone 4S, which is Cupertino's bestseller this season, is exempt from the ban, as it features a "world" baseband radio from Qualcomm, and Apple is paying the due royalties to the chip maker, as Qualcomm's CEO Paul Jacobs said yesterday at the quarterly earnings report.

It wasn't that long ago when the Motorola ROKR was launched as the first phone with Apple's iTunes, but the roads traveled by those two since then took them pretty far away.
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2012-02-03 16:12
Where and when will it end! Will the ban go Europewide?
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2012-02-03 18:58
I don't think anyone wants to see the iphone banned even the companies that are suing them i.e Samsung, Motorola just a more level playing field.
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2012-02-04 00:41

On 2012-02-03 16:12:29, goldenface wrote:
Where and when will it end! Will the ban go Europewide?

There is no pan-European patents. The reason why all these patent battles takes place in the court of Manheim, Germany is because a ruling in Germany will have huge impact on European sales. The speed of the rulings is also an important factor why Manheim is chosen.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-02-04 17:26
Why Germany?? Is it cos it's Europe's largest economy??
Phone?? What phone??
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2012-02-04 17:59
Apple overturns Motorola's iPad and iPhone sales bans (BBC article)

Apple has been granted a temporary suspension of a sales ban imposed on some of its products in Germany.

An appeals court lifted the ban after Apple made a new licence payment offer.
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2012-02-04 18:35
This is interesting. Apples submits new licensing payment offer yet I read elsewhere where they said that they are not interested in licensing many of their own patents. Interesting
iPad Air 16GB
ernesthelmer
Model not set
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-02-15 06:01
I think Motorola is done playing around in the courtroom.

This sets a good precedent; I think Apple may be a bit more receptive to deals if this outcome is solidified and more outcomes like this get handed down.
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2012-02-15 12:29
I agree and that is why I want to see more wins for Motorola, Google and Samsung. To force Apple to negotiate more and end the constant litigation.
iPad Air 16GB
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi