Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > Windows Phone will overtake iPhone

12  Next
Author Windows Phone will overtake iPhone
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2012-01-23 01:24
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Windows Phone will overtake iPhone in just three years' time, say respected tech analysts.Windows Phone will become the number two smartphone operating system in the world by 2015, predict analysts iSuppli.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sc[....]ch-analysts.html#ixzz1kEiOR6Ui

masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2012-01-23 07:07
no real surprise there. Just like android, Windows phone is used by multiple manufacturers in multiple devices whereas iOS is used by just 1.

In fact it tells quite alot about iOS devices that it will take that long for WP to overtake!
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-01-23 09:27
Yep, its inevitable, although its going to take a much longer time than Android, but thats IF the market begin buying in to WP, many carriers dont seem interested anymore. I know here in SA they all stopped stocking them, we're only going to get the Nokia Lumia range for now via one network.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-01-23 11:13
Plenty of carriers here stocking them. People seem to be judging Windows Phones without even trying them. It is now alot better than 6.5 version was and different. As more and more features are introduced and more try it they will see its an amazing OS. Microsoft have done an excellent job as I have not seen an OS so fluid and yes I have used iOS. I am not missing Android at all using my Lumia and that for me is saying something
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-01-23 12:15
Apparently UK Carriers are forcing Nokia to lower the price of the Lumia710 after poor sales of the Lumia800: http://wmpoweruser.com/uk-car[....]mPowerUser+%28WM+Power+User%29

Personaly ive used the HTC Trophy and Mozart on WP7.1 (NoDo update) and recently a Samsung Omnia7 on WP7.5 Mango, these 3 were the only WPs sold here, i was simply not impressed by WP, the live tiles werent as functional as Android's widgets, as with widgets like Email, Stocks, Twitter, FB etc they allowed scrolling and editing without leaving my HS, another thing in WP is no folder support so i cant group shortcuts in HS or the app menu etc... Also find the large fonts to be a waste of the screen and the whole UI to be very "gimmicky", the whole experience was just disappointing and annoying, for me, id be prepared to take an iPhone any day over a WP.

What will be very interesting with WP is when you have low end 800mhz WPs on single core, and high end multicore WPs after the Apollo update late this year.
snoFlake
W800
PM
Posted: 2012-01-23 13:02
Here are iSuppli's predictions for WinMOBILE from 2009, I think safe to say their prediction track record is somewhat less than 100% and may exhibit shall we say a rather rose tinted outlook with regards to Microsoft's efforts.

Repotrs of Windows Mobile's death are greatly exaggerated

adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2012-01-23 13:08
I don't believe that iOS and Apple has much of a future, it's similar to the Mac vs PC race back in the day. But where Android manufacturers can update the look and feel of the UI easily to keep it looking fresh, this isn't the same case with iOS. And glossy icons which once looked slick and modern are starting to get dated... It should be interesting to see what happens, because on the one hand people might keep buying new iPhones because they've been sucked in to the Apple way of live, iTunes all their apps etc. that they don't want to loose. However on the other hand people want change, and they're not going to keep forking out for the same UI everytime...imo
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-01-23 19:28
@Tsepz_GP, Windows Phone OS "gimmicky" I think not I think pointless live wallpapers which make Android lag are gimmicky. I see it as more mature OS than Android. Live tiles are as functional as Widgets. I get updates of everything pop up on them & it's all very slick & smooth. The look of an icon means nothing to me. The OS itself is very well laid out easy to use & does everything I need to do in less clicks than Android. The integration of Face Book is a million times slicker than say Face Book inside Xperia for example. Like iTunes the Zune software I have everything in one place & it is not slow on my pc. It syncs trouble free when its plugged into pc. I don't think icons & how they look is what people are crying out for. You know me I am really fussy but I have found my niche in WP!! I could not give a stuff as to what everyone else is buying as long as something works for me then I am an individual with something different from others As for Nokia they have done an excellent job if only they could get people to take it on. They have still managed to make their Lumia's unique with their Nokia Drive,Nokia Music etc. Yeah that's not enough alone. But I also like what they are doing with a budget Windows device too. From what I have read carriers HERE are wanting Nokia's Lumia range to do well it's in their interests. I know Nokia will keep getting even better with their Windows devices in future & more features will be introduced in time that are missing I am sure. Nokia have almost got it perfect with their first Lumia 800 only the battery is not perfect but what smart phone battery is. They have done a good job with minimal issues.
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2012-01-23 18:35 ]
Phone?? What phone??
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-01-23 20:36
Glad you're happy with your Lumia Bono, but i stand by what i said about WP and its UI, not at all happy with it, or by Nokia using it.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-01-23 20:51
Phone?? What phone??
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2012-01-24 01:06
All Android fans share the same exact view and wordings on WP! But not all biased, I think Tsepz is sincere with his opinion.. And that's why I think there is room for both WP and Android share the market although practically it's not much feasible..

Anyway, regarding the UI, WP and Android are complete opposites to each other!

The two extremes:

Metro UI: It's not a secret it's praised and adopted by journalists and artists.. Its topographic nature is mostly attractive to those who work in these domains since they know the most what it's about. It's easy on the eye, everything just clear and visible and fast to spot, a pleasure to navigate specially coupled with WP's utter fluidity, and uniform all over the platform from the main UI to every third-party app..
Other users may not spot all the benefit of Metro UI at first encounter, but they will surely do the more they use it..

Android's custom UIs: Cluttered!! This is the perfect word to describe Android btw! Too much going on and for nothing! Too much colors, too busy UI, and lacks any sense of uniformity and consistency! Not too complicated to use in the technical sense, but simply gives you headaches moving around while it's all about a 4" screen that doesn't have that much things going on in the first place and meant to give you light computing on the go.. Add stutterness to it, and it all adds up to one ugly UX!
Even take a look at commercial screen shots of Android devices and you'd see all sorts of links and icons and bars on one single screen!
Anyway, Duarte admitted this all cluttering and ISC was mainly meant to address this issue really and bring some consistent UI and some guidelines for the devs to follow..

And then we come to the Live Tiles vs Widgets argument:

Widgets: They are about functionality. But is it really all necessary??
To me, if the whole OS is running on my home screen, then how come it's still called a home screen?!
And then, no matter how big that email or news feed widget gets, I'll still have to open the app! So why would I waste that much space while all I need is a notification and an easy and fast way to access the things and apps I use most on my smartphone..
And part of the UI, with all these sizes of widgets coupled with icons and folders the home screen can't get any messier than that! It's like someone heading to the nearest wall and hitting his head against it just for the sake of it!

Live Tiles: Uniform and compact! One scrollable home screen housing all the shortcuts and notifications you need for fastest and easiest access! Headlines are there when needed, and nothing more. Counts are there when needed. Everything is clear and easy on the eye! I don't need the whole app on the home screen, just a window for those apps I need constant access to, and that's what a Live Tile is about.
Add to it the innovative idea that you can pin a specific part or area of your app for even faster access and it al get perfect!
If I'm selling something on Ebay, I can pin that article with its thumbnail photo on the home screen and don't need to open the app and navigate to the article each time I want to check on it! Or if I want a specific news feed and not all BBC feeds.. I pin that feed only.. Or I can pin a favorite contact or a group of contacts showing latest notification as well!
And everything is presented by pictures and smart animations that just make it a pleasure to use your smartphone.
Actually in terms of productivity, concerning power users but not geeks, WP with its Metro UI, Live Tiles, and integratd Office, social networking, and messaging hubs is more convenient to use than Android!

So, see Tsepz?
I just offered a complete opposite yet valid opinion and experience to yours on Android and WP.. Both opinions hold. And hence both products.

[ This Message was edited by: false_morel on 2012-01-24 00:07 ]
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2012-01-24 02:52
dam, just as im about to go to bed you post that false morel.

I do indeed agree, and a very well put opinion might i add.
Its all down to what we want, to me WP isnt that great UI wise.

I wasnt arguing on whether WP and Android can share the market or not, but that:

-It doesnt seem to be attractive to carriers
-Nokia shouldn't have picked it.

Im all for competition, thats why i like the whole Android community, manufacturers battling it out with their own implementation of the OS.
Reason why i dont like Nokia using WP is that Meego had a ton of potential, and instead of us having just a 3horse race, we could have had four or 5 (if webOS didnt go under), i also feel that WP seriously restricts Nokia from fully innovating, the 900, 800 and 710 dont bring anything new, i can understand why the Lumia710 doesnt, its a mid end, but the other two, i cant even see why id get a Lumha800 or 900 over a HTC Titan/TitanII OR even HD7.

As a WP user what do you think of the Lumia range? Im guessing your avatar is a HD7, thats a WP thats over a year old, yet do you see any major benefit in getting a Lumia?
false_morel
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2012-01-24 04:13

On 2012-01-24 02:52:49, Tsepz_GP wrote:
I wasnt arguing on whether WP and Android can share the market or not, but that:

-It doesnt seem to be attractive to carriers

I think once customers start asking for WPs, carriers will take them with please and help market them as well..
Meanwhile, in African, ME, South American, as well as some major Asian markets, it's all about Nokia to turn WP into a success story..
If they manage to do it, then other carriers will start asking for other OEMs by themelves..

Im all for competition, thats why i like the whole Android community, manufacturers battling it out with their own implementation of the OS.
Reason why i dont like Nokia using WP is that Meego had a ton of potential, and instead of us having just a 3horse race, we could have had four or 5 (if webOS didnt go under), i also feel that WP seriously restricts Nokia from fully innovating, the 900, 800 and 710 dont bring anything new, i can understand why the Lumia710 doesnt, its a mid end, but the other two, i cant even see why id get a Lumha800 or 900 over a HTC Titan/TitanII OR even HD7.

Don't tell me about MeeGo!! I was maybe the biggest believer in this project and one of the hardcore fans of what Nokia were doing..

You know how much I used to defend Nokia and Symbian.. And that was all because of Qt and MeeGo really.. Not Symbian specifically.. It was all about the Qt ecosystem Nokia were up to, and Symbian was just the bridge to take the huge consumer base Nokia enjoys onto MeeGo (but on the long run, not in one or two years).. But it was all about Qt! Qt was what made me stick to Symbian.. Till we all realised Symbian couldn't hold much still as the competition moved too fast with Android and there was no time for a multi-year transition to MeeGo.. It's simply heartbreaking to see all this fading away into one of the biggest failures in the tech industries..

Anyway, I think I have to settle for this the same way I had eventually to settle my Lunix vs Windows argument and go completely for Windows myself few years ago..

But about the market share, I don't think the market can take more than three major players.. Even three is a bit too much! To be honest, I can't see a practical way for both WP and Android to share the market equally on the long run.. One will dominate and the other will settle for a much smaller user base..

As a WP user what do you think of the Lumia range? Im guessing your avatar is a HD7, thats a WP thats over a year old, yet do you see any major benefit in getting a Lumia?

I got the HD7 just to see what WP is really about. Before Nokia decided to transition I wasn't even considering it!
But developing for Symbian/MeeGo became obsolete, and so did my N8 as a consmuer product.. Had to decide between Android and WP, tried both and settled for the HD7 for now waiting for Nokia to release the WP N8 successor.. As all I really want is a Lumia 900 with a decent battery life and an N8 imaging capablity.. I don't care about multi-cores nor HD resolutions nor high-end gaming..

HD7 is supposed to be my developer phone, but using it now as the primary phone while waiting.
Actually as I figured out WP is my OS, and Nokia's imaging capabilities is what I'm after, Nokia Lumias are the perfect mix for me! Unique attractive high-quality design, the cameraphone I need, and the perfect mobile OS specially looking forward for a W8 hybrid at the end of the year.. To me, this differentiating enough for Nokia..
djin
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-01-24 05:48
so basically a decade old os with several renames, relaunches, is finally going to overtake a relatively newer os by being just like that os. eg- no multi tasking at re-launch, relies on a software itunes/zune, no customization, etc.

With downward trend of windows phone(despite heavy advertising and hype) and stable ios rate, i think 3 more years might rather get blackberry ahead of ios if they heavily advertised their new os.

Let's not forget that after being so limited, windows phone still manages to crash just by receiving certain message..

Android has matured well with 4.0, and 5.0 should be a milestone for Google.
Xperia T + N 96

R.I.P Desire
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-01-24 17:23
There is quite a bit of customisation now. You can use an app to have pictures behind each tile and background too. I love the tiles they catch the eye but are not too OTT. It all looks elegant. Swiping through the menus and how everything is integrated comes together in such a tidy slick manner. Really love it. I don't need folders or live wallpapers. WP does have multitasking now.

Nokia Lumia 800
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2012-01-24 16:28 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi