Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Sony Xperia S thread

Author Sony Xperia S thread
rickster2kuk
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2012-01-10 23:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
On the Engadget podcast thing early with the guy from SE USA, they pretty much confirmed that the Ion has an aluminium back and the S is matte plastic, much like the Nokia Lumina.

Are the notifications built into the clear bar at the bottom? Can't work this out as a photo on an earlier page shows a green light in the top corner, which means charging has finished or battery at 100 per cent.
[ This Message was edited by: rickster2kuk on 2012-01-10 22:20 ]
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-01-10 23:37
hmm.. that's sad that it's plastic again, but as long as it's SOLID feeling, i'll be happy and the fact that it's 144g should make it feel pretty sturdy in the hand.

I haven't seen any videos of the notifications in action, but the video from Three, the guy said the light bar changes color depending on what's being used. I would say it's kind of a waste having an light bar that just illuminates the icons. Much more effective if this entire lightbar can change color and do lighting patterns based on the notification. that would be slick. Of course these would change to solid white once the phone is woken up and unlocked and then if notifications are still unread, they continue once the phone goes into standby.

we shall see i guess... if any insider has one and can confirm what the light bar can do, please chime in. Thanks!
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-01-11 01:50
The Ion seems to have a metallic back. I think or hope build will be more solid with it not having a removable battery
Phone?? What phone??
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2012-01-11 02:27
Im not exactley liking the new bang on SONY logo
but the phone itself looks good it is also going to be intresting
watching the loop hole on these
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2012-01-11 02:54
I just entered this weeks usual Face Book competition to win this device. Fingers legs and eyes crossed i have won phones before.

I love technology,but technology does not love me
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2012-01-11 01:55 ]
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-01-11 02:56
whattt! you have? maybe i should try.... what do i have to do?
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2012-01-11 04:54

On 2012-01-11 02:54:00, Bonovox wrote:
I just entered this weeks usual Face Book competition to win this device. Fingers legs and eyes crossed i have won phones before.

I love technology,but technology does not love me
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2012-01-11 01:55 ]

Post the link please. I've won stuff before too.
rog
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2012-01-11 06:46
Here is a sample image, taken indoor (remember: early firmware / hardware):

[ This Message was edited by: rog on 2012-01-11 05:48 ]
Big_D
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2012-01-11 06:51
I said this was the perfect phone before, but I stand corrected. After learning more about it, Though it's still a great phone, it's still not my ideal. It looks really awesome, though. tons of cool features. but I want an expandable microSD slot, removable battery, it's just 2 of the things I want my phone to do.

This seems like a android version and more capable iPhone 4 S. better design, too.

T-mobile USA network.
Xperia x10i unlocked + 32GB / Xperia Neo
Xperia TX LT29i
Xperia Z C6606
Xperia L C2104
Xperia M Dual C2004
Currently using Xperia Z1s C6916 (T-Mobile USA)
marcink
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2012-01-11 07:01
Looking at the sample, I still see to much postprocessing but maybe a little less chroma noise. But this is iso 100. So that's not really good:(
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-01-11 07:29
it looks good for early firmware... i'll reserve any judgments until final firmware samples.

i've never been one to expect perfection from my phone camera... that's why point and shoot cameras still exist and what dSLRs are for...

I just want something that looks sharp and has good color reproduction at a reasonable size. I don't care if its super grainy when it's blown up to 100% on a computer screen! If i wanted a photo i was gonna print at that size i'd use my dSLR. I'm happy if i can print a photo from my phone on a 4x6 or maybe even an 8x10 and it looks sharp.. i'm happy. i can even fix the color in photoshop or any of the myriad of photo editing apps on the market (picsay is my fav).

I don't get why everyone is so damn critical of phone camera sample shots, especially on early firmware, when there has been no standard conditions to take the photos and no base comparison with another known sample. Also, we all know when taking a photo with any camera, the photographer matters.

sorry for the rant
moogoo
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-01-11 08:30
@adsada,
The "S" in Xperia S signifies: Successor, Smartphone (?), and most importantly Screen (720P). I'll agree that this device hails the original Xperia while changing the 'Arc' to help feel better in the hand.

@Admad,

Reason for imbedding battery:
1. Ecological and Economical - helps the bottom line; no more manufacturing spare battery's, no more shipping them globally, less costs - easier support (Apple does VERY well in this regard).
2. lifestyle of smartphone users is in the city and by PC/TV etc within a 24hr period in the city never global travellers or in highly rural areas.

@Bonovox,
For this particular product its possible that imbedded storage IS the future (Galaxy Nexus follows this as well if you noticed). Box.net 50GB offer with SonyEricsson is helping quite a bit. As prices for monthly data begin to lower or monthly data caps slowly increase this will help.

Laffen,

might I make a suggestion to have a smart-tag for the Sony logo please like we have ": SE :" for SonyEricsson? Thanks.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
mediar
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-01-11 08:40
I just watched a few previews at YouTube and I'm spotting lags here and there... Especially when you go to the overview mode of the home screen. No matter how many widgets you have, two or ten, it always lags. That's not something that used to happen with the older Xperias. And what about the clock on the home screen ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZBW0QqSIZs at ) - anyone spotting any similarity to this:
The best mobile phone brand died with Sony Ericsson's death. Shame on you Sony for killing it! And, of course, for ruining the Xperia brand...
Mediar's Site
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-01-11 08:52
@mediar - just a note.. that's the Ion not the S. also, i think i noticed the lag you're pointing out... it doesn't seem of any concern to me. it's also not final firmware i'm guessing so thats probably something to take into consideration.

and the clock on the homescreen looks like beautiful widgets which is available on the market. you can customize and change the font for the clock and weather.

moogoo
mediar
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-01-11 09:07

On 2012-01-11 08:52:45, moogoo wrote:
@mediar - just a note.. that's the Ion not the S. also, i think i noticed the lag you're pointing out... it doesn't seem of any concern to me. it's also not final firmware i'm guessing so thats probably something to take into consideration.

and the clock on the homescreen looks like beautiful widgets which is available on the market. you can customize and change the font for the clock and weather.

I though about Beautiful Widgets as well, but I highly doubt they'll put whatever widgets on these units right there.

Finally a decent previews of the UI:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHYDTw_U8xQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCR4FJ8A5TY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L43zNSzvoZk&feature=related
[ This Message was edited by: mediar on 2012-01-11 08:20 ]
The best mobile phone brand died with Sony Ericsson's death. Shame on you Sony for killing it! And, of course, for ruining the Xperia brand...
Mediar's Site
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic