Forum > General discussions > Rumours > Sony Xperia Rumours 2012

Previous  123 ... 919293 ... 318319320  Next
Author Sony Xperia Rumours 2012
rss_ndrsn
Sony Xperia X Performance
PM
Posted: 2012-04-11 05:52
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
It is still relevant as I am also giving you guys info about the new AMOLED screen that Hayabusha might be sporting.
rss_ndrsn
PM
Posted: 2012-04-11 06:16

On 2012-04-11 01:41:35, djin wrote:
[This is going way off topic, I am not following these much as of now, but oled and amoled are similar but not same, sony was the first to have oled tvs commercially avialable, and they heavily invested in oled but then stopped to focus on lcd(due to losses and high prices), the next focus for sony is crystal lcd and whitemagic. Crystal lcd seems to be the route sony will take with bravia line instead of amoled, until oled further evolves/gets cheaper to produce. Atleast thats the picture i get from when i was following.

Have you not heard that Sony is going to release OLED TV in 2013?

....oled and amoled are similar but not same.

Also, if you check out samsung's 55inch oled tv announced at ces 2012, they mention super oled and not super amoled hd + etc for it.

The reason why is that Samsung Super AMOLED has a different structure than Super OLED. Although both AMOLED displays, Super AMOLED uses the Inverted OLED structure as oppose to the Stacked OLEDs one (I think) being used on Super OLED screen. IF you look at the photo that I posted above, it says there TOP-GATE TFT which means a transparent or semi-transparent top electrode exists emitting light directly. That's another type of structure that is being used to make an OLED screen. As I have always pointed out, there are many ways to make an OLED screen but it always includes an adressing schemes (active or passive matrix but very often active).
[ This Message was edited by: rss_ndrsn on 2012-04-11 07:58 ]
Ricky D
Sony Xperia Z3
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-04-11 08:12
I think that's enough about the actual tech of the screens in upcoming Sonys.

Almost all modern smartphones' screens are clear and bright enough for most people. I bet many in this forum can't tell at first glance what tech is used in any given smartphone and we here are supposedly those in the know and are the first adopters of technology. You can tell that most screens are of acceptable standard by the fact that 9/10 reviews of new phones don't complain about the screen. On top of that who makes their phone purchased based completely on the screen tech implemented? Camera quality people do, video quality yes, overall design yes, screen size maybe, CPU cores maybe, RAM even maybe some but screen tech? No-one.

If it takes several pages of arguments to find any clarity between the techs then there is a lot of confusion between them, there is confusion because there really isn't that much real life tangible (not enough difference for people to care), maybe viewing angles but that's it. Now if one of the techs could boast battery life that's twice as long or suddenly be produced for 1/10th of the price of the other or could be produced with no border and
I have a dig bick
You read that wrong
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2012-04-11 08:39
@rss_ndrsn

Just a small correction. Sony will release OLED Tvs in 2013 and Passive 3D TVs not Passive OLED Tvs. They have already started selling passive 3D Bravia Tvs in China since past two months.
rss_ndrsn
PM
Posted: 2012-04-11 09:10

On 2012-04-11 08:12:25, Ricky D wrote:
I think that's enough about the actual tech of the screens in upcoming Sonys...

I actually do not get what you are trying to say but my only concern is to make worf1000 understand that it is almost impossible (all things considered) to have a high resolution OLED screen without using active-matrix addressing scheme, and to correct his wrong beliefs about the AMOLED like not using "pure OLED technique", PS Vita screen is 100% OLED (lol..can't help but to laugh everytime I hear it), etc. I could not care less what OLED technology that the next Sony smartphone will have.
[ This Message was edited by: rss_ndrsn on 2012-04-11 08:30 ]
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2012-04-11 09:20

On 2012-04-11 09:10:57, rss_ndrsn wrote:

I actually do not get what you are trying to say but my only concern is to make worf1000 understand that it is quite impossible (all things considered) to have an OLED screen without active-matrix addressing scheme. I could not care less what OLED technology that the next Sony smartphone will have.

+100

It really is beyond me how worf100 could still continue to insist that Sony uses a "100% OLED" technology that negates the need for any sort of controller
djin
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-04-11 14:25
i guess people coming here in search for yellow tint screens are in for a treat ..

@rss_ndrsn,

I didnt really know sony was going to get oled tvs out!

Anyways, I think its important to have oled/amoled/whitemagic/anything thats more power saving, atleast on smartphone with larger display size as they take heavy toll on battery life. If not then atleast increase the capacity of battery!
Xperia T + N 96

R.I.P Desire
worf1000
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-04-11 16:37

On 2012-04-11 04:04:53, rss_ndrsn wrote:
OMG! Can someone put some sense into worf1000's mind! If an OLED screen is not using active matrix as addressing scheme, then it is using a passive matrix one! The structure that you are talking about is the simplest OLED screen which is from a PMOLED model. The purpose of that structure is just to show OLED technology works. Do you even understand how OLED works? Why is it hard for you to grasp this idea?

Let's define what an addressing scheme is and how important it is to a display screen. It is to set (or maintain) the state of a pixel to either black/white or, more commonly, a gray-scale level. So without the addressing scheme, a display screen will not be able to show pixels properly. That's why any display screen have addressing scheme. The most common and practical is the Matrix addressing (active and passive matrix). The other two types which are direct and raster addressing are not being used in OLED. So how can an OLED screen display pixel properly without an addressing scheme as you keep on insisting about pure OLED technique?

Worf1000
"An AMOLED display consists of OLED pixels that are (embedded in a thin film transistor) (TFT) that call men TFT array.
So, Active Matrix can use in Oled and is not 100% Oled technique."

You just said it yourself but still can't grasp the idea behind OLED. AMOLED uses TFT to eliminate higher voltage which is required for PMOLED operation. So this solidify my point that OLED screens can either use passive matrix or active matrix to operate and that AMOLED or PMOLED use 100% OLED technique (according to your own understanding). OLED is just a general term like LCD. OLED can come in different variation but it is still OLED. There is no such thing as pure technique or whatsoever because every OLED screen use the common structures to make up one, or else it cannot not be an OLED. OLED whether a passive matrix or active matrix are all 100% OLED screen.

Whichever OLED screen that uses TFT backplane is considered an AMOLED screen. Ergo, ipso facto, case closed. Q.E.D. In the Oxide-TFT case, the silicon is replaced with amorphous indium-gallium-zinc-oxide (a-IGZO) as semiconducting layer of the TFT backplane. Since it uses backplane, it is an AMOLED screen. OK!

Please read this:
SID, the display industry’s leading annual academic conference, is always a great source of information on R&D into future display technologies. Crystallization of a-Si to p-Si and its application to AMOLED fabrication have been a favorite topic of the symposium for several years now. However, looking over the proceedings of this year’s recently held conference, there anecdotally seems to be shift in focus; I could only find one paper on LTPS crystallization for AMOLED backplanes. Instead, a variety of papers promote using oxide semiconductors as a panacea to technical and cost issues that continue to restrict the growth of the AMOLED industry.

Samsung SDI’s development of a 12.1″ WXGA AMOLED (see Figure 1) highlighted the potential of this technology. The company used amorphous indium-gallium-zinc-oxide (a-IGZO) to replace silicon as the semiconducting layer of the TFT backplane

Proof that SONY OLED is AMOLED:

AMOLED screen with OXIDE_TFT backplane from SONY:

[ This Message was edited by: rss_ndrsn on 2012-04-11 08:39 ]

O my god!!!!!!!

If you can't see the difference between Oled and AMoled i can't help you.
worf1000
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-04-11 16:41

On 2012-04-11 09:10:57, rss_ndrsn wrote:

I actually do not get what you are trying to say but my only concern is to make worf1000 understand that it is almost impossible (all things considered) to have a high resolution OLED screen without using active-matrix addressing scheme, and to correct his wrong beliefs about the AMOLED like not using "pure OLED technique", PS Vita screen is 100% OLED (lol..can't help but to laugh everytime I hear it), etc. I could not care less what OLED technology that the next Sony smartphone will have.
[ This Message was edited by: rss_ndrsn on 2012-04-11 08:30 ]

Don't put your word in my mouth, you are very selective person.
I try to explain that Oled and AMoled are t differences type of Oled screens one with Active Matrix and the other without that and the last one is very difficult to build larger display what i allrerady mention.

AM is Active Matrix that USE in Oled technique and Oled itself has no Active Matrix TFT is that so difficult to understand? Do you know what OLED is?

PSV was 100% Oled only i saw it with my own eye prototype unit is was . You need better read my message and be not selective.
[ This Message was edited by: worf1000 on 2012-04-11 15:47 ]
worf1000
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-04-11 16:44

On 2012-04-11 14:25:33, djin wrote:
i guess people coming here in search for yellow tint screens are in for a treat ..

@rss_ndrsn,

I didnt really know sony was going to get oled tvs out!

Anyways, I think its important to have oled/amoled/whitemagic/anything thats more power saving, atleast on smartphone with larger display size as they take heavy toll on battery life. If not then atleast increase the capacity of battery!

Sony will use its own type of Oled technique in 2013 and it's not AMoled but another type of AM i think no active Matrix inside but different that's what i hear yesterday from Sony engineer.

rss_ndrsn
PM
Posted: 2012-04-11 19:58
Once and for all, there is no such thing as 100% OLED technique in the same context you believe in. If an OLED screen uses Active-matrix addressing scheme, then it is AMOLED. OLED is just a general term for a type of screen to differentiate it from other display screens such as LCD, CRT, etc. For example, I bought a 55" LCD TV. What kind of LCD is that? For sure it is a variant of active-matrix LCD, but specifically I am not sure. It's probably uses an IPS Technology. You see where I am getting at?

Active-matrix is an addressing scheme. That means each pixel has electronic switch allowing an image or video information to reach the pixel. So basically, without it you will not see a thing on the display other than lights. It is impossible to have a big OLED screen with high resolution or a smaller one without using an active-matrix addressing scheme. OLED can only use active-matrix or passive-matrix addressing scheme. But only active-matrix addressing mechanism supports high resolution and big display. That's why every OLED screen that one can find on a smartphone or pmp are all using active-matrix and these screens are called AMOLED (or ACTIVE-MATRIX ORGANIC LIGHT-EMITTING DIODE) screen.

Sony will use its own type of Oled technique in 2013 and it's not AMoled but another type of AM i think no active Matrix inside but different that's what i hear yesterday from Sony engineer.

Well, if it uses an active-matrix scheme then it is called AMOLED. Intiendes? Whatever OLED screen SONY is developing that's for sure an AMOLED one. There is no way they can make a big high resolution OLED display without using an active-matrix addressing scheme. As I have said many times and what have been said in numerous texts regarding OLED, OLED can only use passive or active matrix addressing scheme. PMOLED do not support big and high resolution display so the only choice is AMOLED. That's why it is impossible to have a 100% OLED screen or one that uses 100% OLED technique in the context you believe in.
[ This Message was edited by: rss_ndrsn on 2012-04-11 20:09 ]
rss_ndrsn
PM
Posted: 2012-04-11 20:37
The reason why you cannot find the active-matrix is the list you wrote up there is what makes up a PMOLED screen. In an AMOLED screen, the thin-film transistor is placed in between the Anode and the substrate.

Here's a photo to as proof:

Therefore, AMOLED and PMOLED are either 100% OLED, and they use 100% OLED technique (LOL).

On 2012-04-11 00:10:45, worf1000 wrote:
Let me give you some Oled structure.

1 Cathode
2 Emissive ( Organic Molecules or Polymers)
3 Conductive layer (Organic Molecules or Polymers)
4 Anode
5 Substrate

I see no single Active Matrix mention (Active Matrix) means (Active matrix is a type of addressing scheme used in flat panel displays) it can also use in Oled related screens that call AMoled or SAMoled. But still not 100% Oled displays.

And as i said before, Sony is still develop Oled technique for a long time long before Samsung or LG did.
I rest my case
[ This Message was edited by: rss_ndrsn on 2012-04-11 19:48 ]
motvikt
T68i
PM
Posted: 2012-04-11 20:41

On 2012-04-11 19:58:26, rss_ndrsn wrote:
Once and for all, there is no such thing as 100% OLED technique in the same context you believe in. If an OLED screen uses Active-matrix addressing scheme, then it is AMOLED. OLED is just a general term for a type of screen to differentiate it from other display screens such as LCD, CRT, etc. For example, I bought a 55" LCD TV. What kind of LCD is that? For sure it is a variant of active-matrix LCD, but specifically I am not sure. It's probably uses an IPS Technology. You see where I am getting at?

Active-matrix is an addressing scheme. That means each pixel has electronic switch allowing an image or video information to reach the pixel. So basically, without it you will not see a thing on the display other than lights. It is impossible to have a big OLED screen with high resolution or a smaller one without using an active-matrix addressing scheme. OLED can only use active-matrix or passive-matrix addressing scheme. But only active-matrix addressing mechanism supports high resolution and big display. That's why every OLED screen that one can find on a smartphone or pmp are all using active-matrix and these screens are called AMOLED (or ACTIVE-MATRIX ORGANIC LIGHT-EMITTING DIODE) screen.

Dude ofc you are right but you cant argue with worf, been there tried that. At first I thought he was a troll but now Im not so sure...
worf1000
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-04-11 21:15

On 2012-04-11 20:37:47, rss_ndrsn wrote:
The reason why you cannot find the active-matrix is the list you wrote up there is what makes up a PMOLED screen. In an AMOLED screen, the thin-film transistor is placed in between the Anode and the substrate.

Here's a photo to as proof:

Therefore, AMOLED and PMOLED are either 100% OLED, and they use 100% OLED technique (LOL).

On 2012-04-11 00:10:45, worf1000 wrote:
Let me give you some Oled structure.

1 Cathode
2 Emissive ( Organic Molecules or Polymers)
3 Conductive layer (Organic Molecules or Polymers)
4 Anode
5 Substrate

I see no single Active Matrix mention (Active Matrix) means (Active matrix is a type of addressing scheme used in flat panel displays) it can also use in Oled related screens that call AMoled or SAMoled. But still not 100% Oled displays.

And as i said before, Sony is still develop Oled technique for a long time long before Samsung or LG did.
I rest my case
[ This Message was edited by: rss_ndrsn on 2012-04-11 19:48 ]

Did i ever mention PMOled boy?, you trow your words in my mouth boy is that everything you have?

You are so pity, there is no Active Matrix in OLED BOY!!!!!!!!!!! that's my whole point you getting desperate about that. I already explain that but you see only what you want to see, so keep selective en be happy I'm done with it.

Don't put your words in my mouth to proof your point buddy, i already give my point.
And motvikt, don't be a fool boy, he put his words in my mouth. I rest my case i made my point you all ignore my point and even getting so desperate to use your words put in my mouth to proof your point so i rest my case.
[ This Message was edited by: worf1000 on 2012-04-11 20:18 ]
Vipera ammodytes
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2012-04-11 22:00
all this oled,amoled or whatever discussion is very boring..
OnePlus 8
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 919293 ... 318319320  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic