Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > The tablet Apple tried to stop - Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

123  Next
Author The tablet Apple tried to stop - Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-12-16 10:28
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Earlier this month, Apple lost the court battle against Samsung and the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is now available to Australian customers
Esato News

The tablet Apple tried to stop - Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Apple lost the court battle against Samsung where they tried to stop the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 from being sold in Australia. Samsung can now legally sell the Tab in the country and the company celebrates this victory by telling the world about how threatened Apple felt about the Tab.

You probably know that there is no such thing as bad publicity. That is what Samsung feels about the matter as well. They are making most out of the recent talks and emphasise that Apple has felt threatened by the Galaxy Tab in the tablet market. The truth is that Galaxy Tab is the only tablet that's being close to compete with the iPad 2. The Galaxy Tab has received excellent reviews and is today the best available Android tablet.

Apple and Samsung still have some non-setteled cases in European countries. Apple claims that the Galaxy Tab and the Apple iPad are so similar that the Galaxy Tab should not be allowed to be sold in European markets.

Apple claims the Galaxy Tab is too similar to the iPad and they have the following comments about the Tab's design where they want Samsung to create a design with:

• A front surface that isn't black
  • Overall shape that isn't rectangular doesn't have rounded corners
  • Display screens that aren't centered on the front face and have substantial lateral borders
  • Non-horizontal speaker slots
  • No front bezel at all
  • Thick frames rather than a thin rim around the front surface.
  • Profiles that aren't thin
  • Front surfaces with substantial adornment
  • Cluttered appearance

source

Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-12-16 12:41
Good news for Samsung and justice
Phone?? What phone??
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-12-16 13:08
Apple went overboard. Let sales ring!
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-12-16 13:55
Absolutely hilarious!

* profiles that aren't thin?
bangsters
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-12-16 18:26
I've had my share of apple products.... but i think after this debacle I'm switching.....

oh and my macbook pro that's maxed out, is actually inferior to a win7 laptop that costs less....
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2011-12-17 16:29
Cluttered appearance? Lol. That's similar to saying "just design something that doesn't work". Apple, pfft...
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-12-17 20:27
If Samsung or anyone else had stopped Apple sales oh it would be a crime Apple need to get a reality check
Phone?? What phone??
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-12-17 21:05
as we've seen... others have tried, and are still trying... and as we keep saying... everyone is doing it... everyone has always done it...

has no one got anything new to say?... these posts are like TV now... just repeats! (over and over and over...)

but.. looking back at the opening post rather than just repeating stuff based on the general topic, I can certainly see why Samsung would get as much mileage out of this as possible from their advertising but it is all really a bit of sour grapes as I don't believe it will change peoples minds that already decided one one or the other considering stories that are already in the news
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-12-17 23:52
I think its hilarious myself. I know its ammunition for the Apple bashers to have another pop at Apple (which they thoroughly deserve anyway), but my main comment is how great it is to see Samsung yet again not beating around the bush just like their TV ads which also illustrated many aspects which Apple fail on. I dont like talking about people behind their backs so Samsung's bare all in public adverts is refreshing.

Funnier though is Apple's stupid requirements of their patent.. So they reckon nobody else can make a rectangular tab, cant be certain colours, cant be thin and must be ugly in appearance. So basically they reckon any other tablets out there must be shaped and coloured similarily to Shrek's head.

Are they kidding, they must be taking the ****. Guess what, Apple have enraged me again. They really do believe they're the centre of the universe and everyone should revolve around them !! Morons
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-12-17 23:58

On 2011-12-17 23:52:23, etaab wrote:
Are they kidding, they must be taking the ****. Guess what, Apple have enraged me again. They really do believe they're the centre of the universe and everyone should revolve around them !! Morons

again? its the same old story... just a repeat topic. so you're anger is just as I said before with the TV... just a repeat...
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-12-18 00:07
I know and its Apple who choose to air these repeats.

Come on Masseur, even as an Apple man, you've gotta admit their list of what they think everyone elses tabs should be or not be is not just over the top, but totally ridiculous !
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-12-18 00:17
I'm sorry, but I don't control every topic on ESATO that involves a repeat of every Apple law suite discussion, but this is clearly a repeat of many earlier topics and it just gives the same opportunity to members to post the exact same responses... and its now boring as no one has anything new to say!
skblakee
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-12-18 00:20
Maybe I missed Masseurs posts on Apples requirements for Samsung on building their own tablet but I am really curious as to his take on those requirements.
Masseur, I think Apple took the patent disputes to another level, a lower one. Rather than seek settlements they fought to cripple and end the competition. I believe that that is a far cry from the previous disputes. I don't think it is the same old same old as you contend.
Galaxy Note III with 64gb micro SD
Visit St.Kitts in the Caribbean. Beautiful little place.
iPad Air 16GB
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2011-12-18 10:00
I don't know... are apple being more agressive than others or are they simply being reported more than others?

As a pilot I remember that engine failures were almost never reported as they were usually just incidents, not accidents, and as such are non events as engines fail from time to time. But once a couple of engine failure were a factor in actual accidents almost all engine failures on commercial airlines were reported for a while until it was obvious that no one one interested unless it caused an accident.

As a divemaster I can relate similar stories in that arena... its just how the press works in picking up a "current" topic and making the most of it... especially at this time of the year when news is generally in a quiet period
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2011-12-18 18:24
Possibly, or it might just be the more popular and successful you become the more bad criticism you receive. Possibly.

But i have to agree with what skblakee just said, Apple just keep going too far. I can understand HTC, Samsung et al trying to get some payoff from other manufacturers for what they think are violating their patents, but Apple go right out to get their competitors banned from releasing products at all. And i agree, its boring to keep saying this in thread after thread but the reason it keeps happening is because Apple users take anything negative said or posted against Apple as an automatic jump to defend them. Apple keep making bad mistakes going about their business that phone geeks like me who are impartial and have no bias find very very frustrating. It makes no difference to Joe Average, but to those of us here on Esato who talk about the industry as a whole its a bid deal that i want to talk about even if it cuts to the bone of Apple fans. If Apple didnt do it, we wouldnt talk about it surely ?

Which is why im still asking people like Masseur who are Apple users to give us their opinions of what Apple think their competitors products should look like.
[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2011-12-18 17:29 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi