Esato

Forum > Information > Esato News Articles > Sony Ericsson could be releasing Ice Cream Sandwich to Xperia models in January

Author Sony Ericsson could be releasing Ice Cream Sandwich to Xperia models in January
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-12-04 02:52
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
According to a tweet by a Sony employee, Sony Ericsson could be releasing Android 4 Ice Cream Sandwich to 2011 Xperia models as soon as the first week next year
Esato News

Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich soon ready for Sony Ericsson Xperia models 

That's only four week from now. The first of several tweets by Sony employee Siddharth Sai G said that Ice Cream Sandwich should be expected to be available the first week in January for all 2011 Xperia handsets. The current range of Xperia smartphones released this year is Xperia active, arc, arc S, mini, mini pro, neo, neo V, Play, pro, Xperia ray and Live with Walkman. According to the same Sony employee, Sony Ericsson is also planning a "skinless version of ICS for 2011/2012 line of devices". That is probably not going to happen as the software and services bundled with their Xperia phones is one of Sony Ericsson strengths.

Last week Sony Ericsson Italy posted a contrary post on Facebook saying the ICS was expected to be available around March 2012. We will not hold our breath while waiting, and the official channel for such Sony Ericsson announcement are as usual over at the Sony Ericsson product blog. They haven't said anything about a future update since November 15th when the company promised free update for all Xperia 2011 models.

Sony Ericsson was know for being slow to update their Android handset portfolio. This has changed in 2011, and the company is now often the first coming out with new Android releases for older handsets.

source

goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2011-12-04 10:10
I really glad it's coming at any rate but the sooner the better of course. Each update has seen improvements in the UI and performance.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-12-04 15:35
Brilliant news and with the current trend of speedy update from SE I trust they will do it
Phone?? What phone??
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2011-12-05 08:08
Will 4.0 tear up then I thought they had split up
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
Rookwise
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2011-12-05 17:40
Apparently it won't be released to handsets in January. ICS will be given out to SE employees for development. It will be available to consumers from March 2012.

This has recently been stated on Xperia blog's Facebook page and their site.
I tried sniffing coke once but didnt like it. The bubbles kept going up my nose
soumya_digi
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2011-12-06 05:57
ICS will be released after the launch of Nozomi. By the end of April or beginning of May it will be available for all regions. Same strategy as Arc S and 2.3.4.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi